Broadband Solutions

Scared0o0Rabbit

Established Member
I'm going to need to set up a broadband connection in a house up in the mountains. First let me say this, t1+ is not an option lol. With that said, I can't check to see if dsl is available because said house does not have a phone line right now. Comcast says that you can't get a cable modem there. From my thinking that really leaves me with 2 choices: ISDN, or Satellite.

ISDN is only a little faster than dialup, and that makes it not really an option. Satellite internet (atleast from directv) says that the professional version is optimized for 2 people max to be connected at a time. The problem with that is that there are 5 pc's, 4 of which are connected all the time. The obvious answer is to get 2 satellite connections... but that starts to approach $$$ again. Any insight into other solutions would be greatly appreciated, and if satellite is my only option, does anyone know anything about sharing 2 internet sources among a group of pc's?

DSL would be best....but I dunno if that's an option. I would go with Satellite. hella fast download, shitty upload (it's like 720 down, 256 up). five computers...it SHOULD be able to handle them. My guess is that the internet connection is gunan be plugged into 1pc (as to act liek a server) then the other comps plugged into that one. Then for sure it would work. hooked up to each comp individually, I dont think it'll happen

satellite gives you one static ip, I'd connect that to a router. But I'd need two connections. They have a max transfer amount per month which is one of the reasons for going with 2 of those also.

Edit: the phone line thing for upload is no longer true.

edit: There will be a phone line up there in a couple months. before the service is required.

And this is exactly why I'm gonna keep my butt in a big city where I don't have to worry about all these problems.

BTW a satelite connection can be really bad when the weather gets poor...which I imagine in the mountains can happen quite frequently. At the very least (assuming you get it there) snow would be a problem on the dish.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Oct 30, 2003 @ 10:01 PM

And this is exactly why I'm gonna keep my butt in a big city where I don't have to worry about all these problems.

BTW a satelite connection can be really bad when the weather gets poor...which I imagine in the mountains can happen quite frequently. At the very least (assuming you get it there) snow would be a problem on the dish.

but if it's the only reasonable solution, you don't have much choice.

so how does upload work w/ satalite now?

and just curious, how much does satalite run nowadays?

For the service that has a static ip and is optimized so that 2 people can use it.... it's like $90 a month, with $600 worth of equipment purchased, and $100 activation.

There is some guy running around Australia with a "portable" 1-2 metre dish for 2 way satellite internet. He claims it cost him $10,000+ to buy, but monthly costs are reasonable. :D

So anyone have any info on sharing 2 internet connections on a network? Is there a way to get all the computers to pull from both sources evenly?

Edit: if it's required I can run a pc that serves to the other pc's on the network... just need to know what to do lol.

The problem is... there's like a .1% chance of there being dsl available. When the phone gets hooked up, basically all that will do is allow me to confirm that there is no dsl available lol.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Oct 31, 2003 @ 01:14 AM

My parents mentioned something about a "Partial T1" anyone have any idea what that is?

yeah it's what we have at work.

it's really fast, but still very expensive.

wouldn't suggest it unless very wealthy or running a fairly good sized business.

Well perhaps you could have 2 routers.. Set 3 on one sharing one connection and two on the other sharing the other one. Then just set it up so the two seperate networks can talk to eachother if need be.

Just speculation.. it could be a horrible idea..

Back