Broken dreamcast?

Hi! My questions are quite simple:

Will copied games cause malfunction on the dreamcast?

Makes any diference if the game is autoboot or you have to use utopia?

I´ve heard that if you play copied games, the console resets after a few months of continued use. Is that all true?

Thanks a lot.

Spanish Don Glotón.

1. No, at least not on mine. So far anyway....

2. If it is dual session (audio, then data) it's usually auto-boot. If it's just the data (ISO) then you need the boot disc.

3. I have no clue. I've had my DC for about three months now. My first CD-R was DreamSNES. And it hasn't happened to me at all. So, I doubt it. I gotta get back to playing Marvel vsCapcom 2, so I can pass the time between now, and when I finally get Unreal Tournament!

BTW, Skank, you played UT on DC? If so, does it have the voice taunts (Die bitch!, Boom!, etc.) I take I'll need to keyboard to do them. I forget, it sometimes does those automatically for my guy right? I love those taunts, and want to know if they're in there.

(Edited by Cloud121 at 7:54 pm on April 13, 2002)

The really, really old games which the people messed up the order of hte files on the cd will make the dc laser have to jump all over the cd might cause extra wear to the gdrom drive. This may also make the game load really slow or have major "pop-in" loading that isn't in the original version.

Some people belive that burned games can ruin your DC, others think its just a rumor. I personaly belive that its true. DC emulators like NesterDC however don't mess up the DC, as they normally don't make the dc load much, and thus, don't wear on the DC's GD drive.

Well... then, how about games like Crazy Taxi? I have a CD-R of that. I played it, and yes, it searches like mad, cause it's such a fast-paced game. Now, if I remember correctly, the actual GD-ROM version seeks just as much. DOA2 for example, the only time that seeks like crazy is during the opening FMV (CD-R). I've never used the GD-ROM version, but I'm pretty sure, that it does it as well too.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is, GDs can hurt the DC just as much as CD-Rs.

Edit 2: What about Audio CDs?

(Edited by Cloud121 at 10:58 pm on April 13, 2002)

(Edited by Cloud121 at 10:58 pm on April 13, 2002)

urgh.

HOW THE FUCK IS LIGHT GONNA DAMAGE THE DREAMCAST?

NOTHING but light touches the #### cd. cd or gd makes no difference, both are discs containing data. there is no fucking way in #### that using cdr copies will damage the DC, except for the movement mentioned above. to actually achieve permanent damage, you'll have to play a game that makes the laser move constantly for months without a break.

Well, supposively since the CD-Rs aren't compressed as much as they are on a GD-Rom, the laser has to move more often because the rings aren't as tightly wound on the CD. People think tha this will wear out the motor faster.

Also, I heard something about the GD-Roms are backwards from CD-Rs, so the motor also has to travel backwards from what it is used to, but I am not 100% on this one.

Didn't this forum have the title "if you even mentioned copied games you will be banned"? As a recall, this topic was actualy sub-labled "Getting copyied games to work" or something to that effect. So I guess if they were banned in the first place, you wouldn't have to argue about why light can't damage a CD :)

Also, I heard something about the GD-Roms are backwards from CD-Rs, so the motor also has to travel backwards from what it is used to, but I am not 100% on this one.

Not true. This is quite easy to disprove by simple observation - CDs and GDs most definitely spin in the same direction.

Well I can't prove whether or not cdr games will or will not damage a Dreamcast. From experience however, I can tell you that I was around when dc games first started getting copied and I played several cdr games on my system since then and that's been a good 2 years worth of playing, and my system still works the same way it did when I first purchased it. I have an original model Dreamcast though, so perhaps some of the later versions of the system were made more cheaply to keep costs down, and these are the ones that malfunction after a while. That's just my opinion though :)

You cheapass bastard. You want to play cdrs but still you "care" about your console
sarcasm.gif

I hope cdrs REALLY hurt a dc unit; but that's bullshit.

I agree with gear. Rationalize it all you want, but the difference between SegaCD/Saturn and DC is Sega can still make a profit on DC titles, as they still are being sold in retail outlets... albeit not much of a profit (maybe just an attempt to break even), but it's an attempt nontheless. Those trying to find Saturn/SegaCD games know the difficulties in procuring games...

I digress.

I think the issue is people who play CD-Rs don't really know what the Dreamcast sounds like playing a regular GD-Rom (or whatever format). It's a loud@$$ system, and makes some pretty nasty noises. I can see where some people can get that idea. Case in point: NFL 2K1. Every time it loads up, I think there's something wrong with the cd.

It's not quite the same as a regular cd player playing audio cds, though, as a regular cd's laser doesn't move nearly as much as a vg systems laser. That is, of course, if you're almost constantly hitting the skip button, but even then, it's not moving it by that much.

Now you've got me to thinking: "Why in the hell is the DC so loud?" I have never owned a console before that made as much noise as my DC. So does anyone know why its so loud when reading games?

Actualy my PS2 is pretty quiet. I know lots of people who own PS2's, some are loud, others are quiet. It seams like they get louder the more they are used, or maybe its just different models make different ammounts of noise. Eather way though, I have yet to see a quiet DC.

Back