Building t3h c0mp

Meh screw it i dont even want it i realized it's only ata 100 with like not even a mb of cache.

But I do have another question. I want to get a radeon 9500pro and OC it to 9700 speeds (you know modified drivers and stuff Ice told me about them) but the only place I have found them is on newegg. However the 9500pro on newegg is 200 dollars and ice informed me I could get it for around 150. Anyone know where I could get it for around this or at least less than 200? It can be oem or retail (preferably retail but I'm not gonna be picky) Any info would be greatly appreciated

And if anyone thinks I shouldn't have mentioned the modified drivers please feel free to get rid of that part I just wanted to make sure people knew I wasn't gonna try to do any over the top solder jobs or anything.

7200RPM (or slower) HDDs cant even reach sustained speeds of 100 MB/sec yet. The rotational speed and density of the drive are more important. If its a small, outdated 5400 RPM drive, I'd say screw it. But if its of any decent size, it'd at least make good storage. But yeah, doesn't really matter if you dont need it.

As far as the "9500 to 9700" trick goes, I thought that was for the 9500 regular. See http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/200304...on_9600-01.html for details. The modified drivers reactivate the 4 disabled pipelines in the 9500 - the 9500 is an artificially gimped chip. 9600 is actually a true cut-down chip, so there is no similar trick. Check out http://www.omegacorner.com/ for more info. You could always OC in addition to using the Omega drivers, of course, but how far you can go all depends on the card and the cooling.

Anyway, for prices you're not going to get a lot cheaper than that for a Pro model. Regular 9500s clock in at around 135-140, but the Pro models are getting pricey.

Wait are you sure about it being the 9500 that OC's? Cause i'm lookin at these specs and I'm kinda worried. The 9700 is obviously beating all of them but the ardeon 9600 PRO seems to be beating the 9500 series in some tests. So yeah you sure about that cause i was pretty sure it was the pro

Its not about OCing. Perhaps you didn't get exactly what I meant. I'm saying that the 9500 has 8 pipelines just like the 9700 (though its not clocked as fast, I don't think), but that 4 of them are deactivated, and can be reactivated. The 9600 and 9600 Pro are great overclockers, but they have no such hack. They have 4 physical pipes, there's nothing to reactivate. The 9500 Pro may also have the same situation as the 9500 regular, I'm not sure. It probably does, meaning both 9500 cards probably have 8 pipes with 4 deactivated by default. The 9500 Pro is clocked higher, so it'll outperform the regular 9500, but its getting hard to get 9500 Pro now. It costs a decent chunk. You should be able to get a 9500 regular for fairly cheap, use the modified drivers, and then if you want you could overclock a bit it on top of that. So even though the 9600 models overclock better (produced on a smaller process, i think 0.13 microns), a 9500 with the Omega drivers will perform better.

I just ordred a 9500 pro off newegg. Kinda funny story. THey just got the pro back in stock so i throw it in my cart. Then as i'm cashing out JUST as i'm about to press check out or whatever there's a red message above the processor section of my cart which says "we're sorry the amd athlon xp 2500+ is sold out" argh and i was just cashing out too...hell

Oh just wanted to tell you. I bought a 2500+ cpu and some REALLY high quality ram for my asus. I got the cpu overclocked to 3000+ speeds and my fsb at 205mhz. Getting over 17000 in 3dmark2001 and 5600 in 3dmark 2003. My ram speed alone got an extra 50% over what I was getting with my 2400+.

That sounds sweet! What G/C are you using to get those scores? I'd guess it would have to be a 9700Pro, or FX5800 at least...

Originally posted by gameboy900@Jul 31, 2003 @ 07:45 AM

Oh just wanted to tell you. I bought a 2500+ cpu and some REALLY high quality ram for my asus. I got the cpu overclocked to 3000+ speeds and my fsb at 205mhz. Getting over 17000 in 3dmark2001 and 5600 in 3dmark 2003. My ram speed alone got an extra 50% over what I was getting with my 2400+.

What ram was it?

I'm using the Radeon 9800 Pro and the ram is this stuff. Oh and the CPU is overclocked running with a regular Thermaltake Volcano 9 heatsink at about 4000RPM.

The ram cost me $260 CAD (or about $185 USD). And I was able to afford all this because I:

a. finished school and have no debt to pay for loans (since I never took any)

b. I (sadly) live with my parents so I have no rent or food costs

c. I have a job

d. my only expenses are the $25 a month for my cell phone and whatever I spend on gas for my car

Oh and just for good measure here are my full pc specs.

- Athlon XP 2500+ 1.8Ghz (OC'd to 2.15 Ghz)

- Thermaltake Volcano 9 fan/heatsink

- OCZ Dual EL 3500 2x 256MB Ram (two specially selected sticks to provide better performance in dual channel mode)

- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev. 1.04 (stock heatsink on northbridge replaced by Thermaltake Crystal Orb fan/heatsink)

- Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

- Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM ATA133

- LG 16x10x40x CDRW

- Panasonic 8x DVD

- Aver TV/FM 98 Stereo (tv tunner card)

- Generic 3.5" floppy

- Arctic Silver 3 on all heatsinks

Externally I have:

- Sony Trinitron 17" 200ES monitor

- Logitech 640 5.1 speakers

- Generic keyboard

- Microsoft optical mouse (in classic design)

Oh also will any two sticks of the same ram work for duel channel if i get a board which supports it or do they have to be special?

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Aug 2, 2003 @ 03:06 AM

Oh also will any two sticks of the same ram work for duel channel if i get a board which supports it or do they have to be special?

Any 2 sticks of ram that have the same capacity will work in dual channel. Be sure to check your mobo's manual to find out which 2 dimm slots to use for dual channel.

Nice specs gameboy. *looks at my sig*. I'm happy with what I got too. :lol:

Originally posted by gameboy900@Aug 1, 2003 @ 10:51 AM

The ram cost me $260 CAD (or about $185 USD). And I was able to afford all this because I:

a. finished school and have no debt to pay for loans (since I never took any)

b. I (sadly) live with my parents so I have no rent or food costs

c. I have a job

d. my only expenses are the $25 a month for my cell phone and whatever I spend on gas for my car

Oh and just for good measure here are my full pc specs.

- Athlon XP 2500+ 1.8Ghz (OC'd to 2.15 Ghz)

- Thermaltake Volcano 9 fan/heatsink

- OCZ Dual EL 3500 2x 256MB Ram (two specially selected sticks to provide better performance in dual channel mode)

- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev. 1.04 (stock heatsink on northbridge replaced by Thermaltake Crystal Orb fan/heatsink)

- Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

- Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM ATA133

- LG 16x10x40x CDRW

- Panasonic 8x DVD

- Aver TV/FM 98 Stereo (tv tunner card)

- Generic 3.5" floppy

- Arctic Silver 3 on all heatsinks

Externally I have:

- Sony Trinitron 17" 200ES monitor

- Logitech 640 5.1 speakers

- Generic keyboard

- Microsoft optical mouse (in classic design)

Here is my feeble computer:
  • Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz with HyperThreading 800MHz FSB BX80532PG300D
  • 1GB Corsair XMS dual channel 400MHz PC3200LLPT DDR-SDRAM (2 x 512MB sticks)
  • MSI Motherboard with 875P chipset - Neo-FIS2R with onboard 10/100/1000 LAN
  • ATi All-In-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR 8X AGP
  • Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum SB0240P
  • Western Digital 200GB Special Edition 7200 RPM HDD with 8MB cache WD2000JB
  • Sony DVD+R/RW Recorder DW-U10A (DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-R/RW)
  • Sony DDU1612/B2 BLACK 16X DVD ROM Drive (48X CD-ROM Speed)
  • Sony 1.44MB 3.5" floppy drive
  • Thermaltake XASER III V2000A case
  • Thermaltake W0011+PFC PSU
Externally, I have:
  • Sony 17" Trinitron Multiscan17se II monitor (old monitor, need to buy a new and bigger one soon)
  • Altec Lansing ADA305 Digital Powercube (my old speakers, need to get a new set in the future)
  • Microsoft Intelli-Mouse Explorer Version 3.0a B75-00083
  • Microsoft 114 keys (10 internet Hot Keys) PS/2 keyboard C19-00396
  • LinkSys Cable/DSL Router (8 ports) BEFSR81
  • Belkin "THE ISOLATOR" with IPF 8 outlet Surge Protector 2960 Joules F5C980-TEL
My AIW Radeon 9800 Pro card cost me $449 (pre-order at ATi's website) + $20 (express shipping) = $469 USD. :blush:

Ah akuma you have a dvd writer maybe you can help me. What are the different formats because i'm thinking of getting one but dont know where to start with the slashes and the + and the - it hurts to think. So do you know what the diff formats are and what the best dvd records are?

There are drives out now from Pioneer and Sony (probably others too) that do both DVD dash (DVD-R/RW) and DVD plus (DVD+R/RW). One of those two formats will eventually become standard so getting a combo drive will eliminate any problems for you. As for which one is the best....theres still a debate going on about that.

Basically, -R/RW (read "dash", not "minus"; I feel like the +RW Alliance is insulting my intelligence or something) has a longer history, is officially recognized/supported by the DVD Forum, is designed for single-session writing, and seems to be more tightly controlled by its patent owners (I think Pioneer is the main one). +R/RW is supported by a motley crew of computer companies, is optimized a bit for consumer video applications, and the DVD Forum doesn't recognize it (and in fact actively disavows any association with it). The differences between the formats are smaller than most +R/RW promoters (there aren't really -R/RW promoters so much as there are users, because it's the incumbent) would have you believe, but it might be enough that +R/RW is noticeably better for VCR replacements.

so the only dif in the 2 is that +r/rw is better for putting your old vcr tapes onto dvds? One can't store more than the other? Can't burn/read at faster speeds? one more reliable? one can do sumthin the other can't?

Back