C4 - 2005 & 2006 discussion

Could it perhaps be incredibly expensive to produce just 10-20 copies of a full packaged and burnt disc game? Laws of mass production and all let our typical market video games go for $20-40, but it'd be a shame if people who wanted to get a real C4 disk had to pay, like $50+ dollars for it.

Maybe you could get an extremely small amount (1-3) and offer them to the winners as prizes for posterity?

Just my random thought.

Originally posted by Omni@Sun, 2005-09-11 @ 02:14 PM

Could it perhaps be incredibly expensive to produce just 10-20 copies of a full packaged and burnt disc game? Laws of mass production and all let our typical market video games go for $20-40, but it'd be a shame if people who wanted to get a real C4 disk had to pay, like $50+ dollars for it.

Maybe you could get an extremely small amount (1-3) and offer them to the winners as prizes for posterity?

Just my random thought.

[post=139500]Quoted post[/post]​

Depending on the company and other factors, costs are below or above 5 euro per CD. If I could print on CD-R, I could do everything alone using a copy shop for color booklets and inlays, for a cheaper price, I think

Unless you can bypass the need for a modchip why bother printing "official" cds?

Originally posted by slinga@Sun, 2005-09-11 @ 06:29 PM

Unless you can bypass the need for a modchip why bother printing "official" cds?

[post=139507]Quoted post[/post]​

Why? Hmmm... It's just an idea. You could see it as a goodie. Or as a collector's item. Or as a piece of memory. Or an excellent opportunity to collect donations for next years prizes :) . Personally, I'd like to have one.

The question "Why?" could be applied to a lot of things...

Hey guys!

Thanks to VBT, I got my own demo demo loader working. That's a Saturn app which can boot multiple Saturn games from a single Saturn CD.

So now I can begin creating the C4 CD where all entries will be placed on.

Does anyone have ideas about it which I should implement?

Originally posted by madmalkav@Fri, 2005-10-07 @ 04:07 PM

Sponsors' banners :p

[post=140423]Quoted post[/post]​

Good idea, I added a credits page.

Two days and I'm sort of finished with my fully customizeable Demo Demo Loader called:

Atlas

(which is the name of one of Saturn's moons)

Features are:

- fully customizeable

- up to 50 games per disc

- multiregion

- resolution: 352x224

- multitap & controller disconnection support

That's customizeble:

Atlas:

- main screen and credits screen

Each game can have (optionally):

- 64x64 pixel sprite

- 352x224 info image

- CDDA start track number specified

- 7 lines of 14 characters textual description

(title, version, author, # of player, ..)

- an AIF audio file (up to 60 min ;) )

Do you know the Dream Inducer / Selfboot Inducer stuff for Dreamcast?

Basically I think we can make a similar, easy solution to quickly generate custom CD's out of a custom selection of game packs. Maybe I'll send out a tool request and maybe someone does implement such a tool. Would be easy, I think.

Some sample GFX I quickly threw together:

Title + credits screen:

[attachmentid=1523] [attachmentid=1528]

Main + info screen (tc3):

[attachmentid=1524] [attachmentid=1525]

Main + info screen (ws1):

[attachmentid=1526] [attachmentid=1527]

Ideas, critics, additions, ....?

Attachments

• Atlas_title.jpg
    Atlas_title.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 295
  • Atlas_credits.jpg
    Atlas_credits.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Atlas_info_ws1.jpg
    Atlas_info_ws1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Atlas_main_ws1.jpg
    Atlas_main_ws1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Atlas_info_tc3.jpg
    Atlas_info_tc3.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Atlas_main_tc3.jpg
    Atlas_main_tc3.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 162

I added 6 sprites which show the button meaning

and which are constantly changing and zooming in and out on the upper right corner.

The size of the description text has been increased to 8 lines of 20 characters each. Default text added, if not available.

Wrote some doc about customization.

Default data, if not supplied for game:

[attachmentid=1530][attachmentid=1531]

See the different help sprites topright:

[attachmentid=1532][attachmentid=1533]

So Atlas basically is done, making a C4 CD would only mean to customize the data. Next I'll try it on real hardware.

Now I would like to have an app for at least Windows which generates a CD image from user selected Atlas game packs. But I won't do it, hehe.

Attachments

• Atlas_main_mineswpr.jpg
    Atlas_main_mineswpr.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Atlas_noimg.jpg
    Atlas_noimg.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Atlas_main_nospr_notext.jpg
    Atlas_main_nospr_notext.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Atlas_main_sndpl.jpg
    Atlas_main_sndpl.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 308

Recently I've been working on several ways to publish Atlas.

To Atlas I applied some little polish and bugfixes.

For example I added an error function for GFS and PCM libs. Because I had an error in playback of a special audio file which turned out to be an error on the CD-RW that I used.

So that's usefull whenever one uses CD access, since you don't know about the quality of the CD-R people are using.

Transparent thumbnails are now supported (and very good looking :D ), too.

CD access is a lot more intelligent now.

For creating a disc from Atlas Game Packs, I improved my (GUI-less) MacOS X tool which can now properly create an ISO and CUE sheet with audio tracks.

Sadly, I haven't yet found someone to make a GUI for that.

Anyone knows a small cross platform comandline tool for image file format conversion?

Look, there is a new C4 entry by Amon with an early windows beta:

Bubble Invasion.

I tried it out and it shows the idea of the game Amon is working on. So I'm curious what it will look like on Saturn.

Could this game include a 2 player option?

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Sun, 2005-10-23 @ 05:39 AM

I tried it out and it shows the idea of the game Amon is working on. So I'm curious what it will look like on Saturn.

Thanks for the mention. So far I havent done much other than get all the sprite work out of the way. Had a big of trouble but Rockin'-b was a lot of help. The graphics are very simple at the moment. In total there are about 4 sprites and an animated sprite. I should work more on implimenting the game (which I have started now).

Could this game include a 2 player option?

[post=140970]Quoted post[/post]​

I would love to include a 2 player option but with school the way its going I just dont have the time to complete it for the c4 deadline. Come dec I will have more time on my hands. I could give it a shot then :).

On the way to the finish line:

last month of the C4 - 2005 Saturn Coding Contest!

The competition is heating up! Within this month, all entries must be submitted to C4_2005@rockin-b.de. So hurry up!

You know all entries will be put on one C4 CD for SEGA Saturn. People who make an entry can provide custom media to present their game on the C4 CD:

* a screenshot thumbnail (64x64 pixel, a transparent color can be used)

* a fullscreen image (352x224 pixel) showing controls and further info

* short textual description (8 lines of 20 characters each) for title, version, author, features, ...

* an audio file that's played when your entry is highlighted

* a readme text file

All of this stuff is optional, but I recommend to at least provide a thumbnail and text description. If you don't provide the data, noone else will create it for you. Instead ugly "Not found!" messages are displayed.

Good luck!

The better one wins :D ...

Two weeks to go, my friends!

If some of you are short on time, sorry, I can't delay the deadline, christmas is too soon.

But I can offer you to submit your custom presentation media for the C4 CD up to one week later.

So you can concentrate on the game itself and care about customizing your entry on the C4 CD later.

To fresh up memories, you can customize by creating these things:

# a screenshot thumbnail (64x64 pixel, a transparent color can be used)

# a fullscreen image (352x224 pixel) showing controls and further info

# short textual description (8 lines of 20 characters each) for title, version, author, features, ...

# an audio file that's played when your entry is highlighted

# a readme text file

This year up to 4 people :smash can get a prize. Prizes include:

- a SEGA Saturn

- 3 games for Saturn

- a modchip for Saturn

- a Game Gear

- 1 game for Game Gear

- a 30 euro purchase at www.frikidonia.com

edit(I forgot):

- a Pro Action Replay cartridge

So do your best! :agree

But I can offer you to submit your custom presentation media for the C4 CD up to one week later.

Thank god :lol: Right now I'm happy just to get any extra coding time for my entry.

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Tue, 2005-11-15 @ 10:32 AM

Two weeks to go, my friends!

If some of you are short on time, sorry, I can't delay the deadline, christmas is too soon.

It's good for me I want to win something :cheers :banana

Originally posted by Zaksund@Tue, 2005-11-15 @ 06:24 PM

Thank god :lol: Right now I'm happy just to get any extra coding time for my entry.

[post=141774]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey, Zaksund is still with us :) , good news :thumbs-up: !

Back