C4 - 2008 discussion

Chilly Willy said:
How odd - many of the entries were by someone using the username "VBT"... any relation?
wink.gif
biglaugh.gif

not really, I was just happy to discover all entries.

Very nice work on those. I like the speed you got on the 2600 emulator - my last attempt at a 2600 emulator on the 32X didn't come close to that speed.

the 2600 emulator is pretty bad (well i wanted full speed), nothing really optimized, I gave up with it. I used Virtual VCS sources, I tried to port some others but it was slower.

vbt said:
not really, I was just happy to discover all entries.

laugh.gif

the 2600 emulator is pretty bad (well i wanted full speed), nothing really optimized, I gave up with it. I used Virtual VCS sources, I tried to port some others but it was slower.

I ran into the same problem - most 2600 emulators don't even work on a line-to-line basis, but on a cycle-to-cycle basis. I'm currently looking at the Jaguar 2600 emulator to see how hard it would be to port to the SH2.

Chilly Willy said:
I ran into the same problem - most 2600 emulators don't even work on a line-to-line basis, but on a cycle-to-cycle basis. I'm currently looking at the Jaguar 2600 emulator to see how hard it would be to port to the SH2.

good luck with this port, it looks like it is based on Virtual VCS too but no way to find the sources.

here is my bad port, also i didn't find a way to run it at the same speed ad 2008.

I have updated it a little.

NB : no idea if it still run on saturn.

Attachments

• vcs_saturn.zip
    247.2 KB · Views: 110
vbt said:
good luck with this port, it looks like it is based on Virtual VCS too but no way to find the sources.

here is my bad port, also i didn't find a way to run it at the same speed ad 2008.

I have updated it a little.

NB : no idea if it still run on saturn.

Thanks, I'll probably try to port it to the 32X and see how it runs there.
smile.gif

EDIT: It's just the executables... not much I can do with that besides run it on my Saturn.
sad.gif

As to the Jaguar 2600 emulator, I bought a DVD full of Jaguar source, and the 2600 emulator was one of the things on it, along with AvP and a number of other things.

Chilly Willy said:
Thanks, I'll probably try to port it to the 32X and see how it runs there.
smile.gif

EDIT: It's just the executables... not much I can do with that besides run it on my Saturn.
sad.gif

ok, here are the bad port sources

Attachments

• vcs_saturn_src.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 111
Chilly Willy said:
NOW it's something to play with.
laugh.gif

I get more excited downloading code than the finished product.
cool.gif

don't get too excited, bad port with bad work
smile.gif

Well, I accept every comment to improve things.

vbt said:
don't get too excited, bad port with bad work
smile.gif

Well, I accept every comment to improve things.

I looked it over - it's a mess! Not that I'm really criticizing - most ports tend to be messy... at least to start. I notice it still uses C for the main part of the emulation. I don't think you can get full-speed from the Saturn on this without moving to assembly. I did an assembly A8 emulator for the Amiga and PowerMac, so I think I can probably do a 2600 emulator that's mostly SH2 assembly. That would probably work better than trying to adapt a PC 2600 emulator to the Saturn/32X.

I'm afraid most emulators for the 32X/Saturn would need to be mostly assembly to run at full speed. We're harking back to times when people did (nearly) 100% assembly emulators and gave them weird names.
biggrin.gif

Back