Clockwork night no scratches but won't play

I found a copy of clockwork night at the thrift store. The CD is in perfect condition. I can't see any top or bottom scratches. I've tried cleaning it as well. But it won't play. The Saturn always only recognizes it as a CD+G disk, and not a game.

Any ideas?

It seems like Saturn is the touchies system for CD imperfections.

Out of my collection, I have 1 bad Genesis cart (grindstormer), 1 bad SNES cart (gradius III), 1 bad Atari 2600 cart (Encounter at L-5), 1 bad SegaCD disc (mansion of hidden souls, it's really scratched to heck, but still it plays part way through the opening video before freezing), one bad Dreamcast disc (gunbird 2, really scratched, though it will once out of 50 loads actually play).

But I have about 8 Saturn discs that won't load. Granted some are pretty badly top-scratched. But it seems that too would be a flaw, that the top of the disc is too poorly protected.

Also, on a side-note, every-single 3rd party SNES controller I've found is non-functional. And also all original atari-brand 2600 joysticks have gone bad (but they used a really crappy button mechanism). And I've had 2 out of my 3 SNES AC adapter blow out for no apparent reason. Must be something about SNES hardware too.

Originally posted by Jedi Master Thrash@Fri, 2006-02-24 @ 10:55 AM

I found a copy of clockwork night at the thrift store. The CD is in perfect condition. I can't see any top or bottom scratches. I've tried cleaning it as well. But it won't play. The Saturn always only recognizes it as a CD+G disk, and not a game.

Out of my collection, I have 1 bad Genesis cart (grindstormer), 1 bad SNES cart (gradius III), 1 bad Atari 2600 cart (Encounter at L-5), 1 bad SegaCD disc (mansion of hidden souls, it's really scratched to heck, but still it plays part way through the opening video before freezing), one bad Dreamcast disc (gunbird 2, really scratched, though it will once out of 50 loads actually play).

[post=144646]Quoted post[/post]​

The problem might be the lens you can always do a search on how to adjust the saturn lens

or

you can always add it on your bad game collection (just kidding :D )

If you have a modded saturn or know the swap trick you can always make a backup of the scratched CD game and most of time the backup will play without any issues on the Saturn.

Hey wow guess what. Before I took it back to get a refund, I thought I'd better try it out on my other Saturn.

And guess what? It works! Not only that, but I went through my stack of badly-top-and-bottom-scratched saturn discs, and nearly all of them play on my other saturn.

Clockwork Knight works, the Nights sampler works, VirtuaCop 2 works. I'm even hella-suprised, the copy of Panser Dragoon II Zwie that I found dead and twitching having been stomped on on the floor of a thrift store for how many days actually works. The intro video and audio has some fluttering in it, probably from the immense scratches. But the video played all the way through, and the menus and first few minutes of gameplay went without problem.

Fighters Megamix still won't play on either saturn though, but that's got some class-A scratches too.

I"m quite amazed. The Saturn that they all work on is a Round-Button one. The Saturn they don't work on is an Oval-Button one. Do you think that the difference (model 1 vs. model 2, though I can never remember which is which) would make a difference? Or is it just a bad lense in the oval one? I've tried using my laser lense cleaner on it, and it didn't have any affect. Though I know there's some Pots you can adjust internally.

If it was just the uber-scratched discs, I would understand. I mean, I can accept a machine not being able to read the top-scratched ones. But clockwork night had no scratches at all.

I'd found a copy of virtua cop 2 a month ago, and it didn't play, and I could see a top-scratch right through the inner data-section. I took it back, and they probably threw it. It makes me a little nervous that I might have returned a disc that would have worked on my other saturn. But this one did get recognized and load, it just froze during the intro screen. Which is also what happens with Megamix (which fails on both saturns). It gets recognized and starts loading, but then fails and bounces back to the saturn bios. So maybe the VC2 really was bad too.

All these other ones that work on the round but fail on the oval, I think they all just fail to get recognized as game discs on the oval one. When you pop them in, they say bad disc, or only get recognized as audio discs. Maybe that's a hint as to what the problem is.

Back