Computer problems!

Ok, I seriously need help with these two problems....

1) I recently moved and after I set my comp back up

the floppy disk drive no longer worked. The computer

recognizes it and says it's working properly but I can't

get it to read disks. It's not the drive itself because I tried

brand new one that I know works. The green power light on

the drive is permanently on. I'm running windows xp...can anybody

help?

2) For some strange reason I am getting a new error message when I try to run

"run....command" under the start menu" the error message is the following:

"cannot load VDM Ipx/spx support"

---also can somebody recommend a good firewall. I used to have zone alarm but my friend said it's likely to rip my computer a new ass....now I have sygate and I really dislike it. thanks and cheers!

The computer recognizes it and says it's working properly

It's talking about the controller working properly. PC drives are dumb/passive enough that an OS can't really tell much about the status of the drive (incidentally, that's why Windows never got a Mac-style floppy icon that only appears when there's actually a disk inserted).

The green power light on the drive is permanently on.

This is almost always caused by the data/control cable being connected incorrectly. Double-check it at both ends, and when checking use the location of pin 1 rather than whether or not the installation looks correct with regard to keying notches and cable twists. Also, if your floppy cable has a twisted section (most do, even though it's an ugly and nearly pointless hack), make sure the twist is on the end farthest from the mainboard.

Why do they do that anyway? The twist i mean. Rounded cables dont have those, but i guess thats cause its all one big twisted up flat cable.

I don't see why everyone hates zone alarm so much. I think I've run into one problem with it in the many computers I've run it on. I even heard one "Tech" guy say it was the reason a computer was faily to POST. I run zone alarm with no problem, and unless you've been having problems with it, then there's no reason not to run it.

I find it annoying when it comes up with like every connection attempt cause i dont know what and what not to allow.

I installed Look'n'Stop firewall a couple of days ago, and I find it really easy to use and to configure.

And above all the security is really high :) (I tried a lot of things, believe me ;) )

Why do they do that anyway? The twist i mean.

It's so that floppy drives don't have to be jumpered. There's a master/slave type of configuration in the interface and the twist flips the drive select pins around so that both drives can be internally wired as the "master" and still work. Apparently the cables were originally wired straight-through (I have yet to see one) and the drives had jumpers on them, but apparently someone at IBM decided that this was a serious problem.

edit: got curious and looked around, more info is here.

actualyl zone alarm takes like 2MB of page file... and you can turn off the notification when things try and get in. If you're referring to the thing that tells you when a program first tries to connect, once you know that program is safe you can check the box and it won't ask you about that program anymore.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Feb 6, 2004 @ 05:03 PM

unplug the ribbon cable from your floppy cable, turn it upside down, and plug it back in.

i have done that many a times and thought my drives were crapped.

Yes ExCyber you can get cables which went straight to the drives.

I have some IBM PS2`s 486 SX25`s and they have those straight to the drive no twist.However the cable wont work in any normal PC I have found.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Feb 6, 2004 @ 10:12 PM

I find it annoying when it comes up with like every connection attempt cause i dont know what and what not to allow.

It's called program control, and its totally necessary for a firewall to properly do its job. All good firewalls do something like this, though some might have more programs preconfigured. Anyway, as Rabbit said you can tell it to remember the settings. As Pearl said, it is good on resources, at least the latest version has been. I do recall having a version of ZA from several updates ago that really sucked, but they seemed to have fixed the problems.

Remember, if a funny program asks for permission, you can deny it and either 1) not tell it to remember, or 2) tell it to remember, and then change it later if needed under Program Control. You can always google for information on whatever you're deciding to block/allow. www.grc.com has some tools to test the security of your PC, as well as a simple program to Shoot the Messenger, if you haven't already killed it.

hmm...so I turned the ribbon cable upside down and plugged it back in and the light went off, however, the drive still doesn't function. strange...no?

Back