Damaged Rars >_<

I just downloaded Burning Rangers and 4 of the rar files are damaged. I was wondering what I do to fix this. Do I have to download them again? If so will it work if I get them from the same FTP? Thanks

Quote: from Redglow on 4:45 pm on Mar. 6, 2002

I just downloaded Burning Rangers and 4 of the rar files are damaged. I was wondering what I do to fix this. Do I have to download them again? If so will it work if I get them from the same FTP? Thanks

Corrupt rars can't be fixed/salvaged like .zips, sorry.

Yes, you will need to download the files again; however you might consider privately contacting who's hosting them to see if they can verify if source files are corrupt.

(Edited by archiver at 5:02 pm on Mar. 6, 2002)

Quote: from archiver on 8:01 am on Mar. 7, 2002

Corrupt rars can't be fixed/salvaged like .zips, sorry.

That's not necessarily true. If the person making the archive included a recovery record it may be possible to repair the corrupt files.

Just don't bank on it.

The recovery record will only work if there are more then on file in the archive. With only one file, like in bin/cue rips (ok, don't mind the cue file here) it's nearly useless.

And Burning Rangers is a bin/cue rip AFAIK.

(Edited by Shinji at 12:14 pm on Mar. 7, 2002)

To quote the WinRAR help file

To repair a broken archive, which has a recovery record, in WinRAR shell mode apply "Repair" command to it. In the command line use command "r". The repaired archive will have name _recover.rar.
This says to me that if a RAR archive has a recovery record and the damage is not too bad, then recovery is possible.

If a broken archive does not contain a recovery record or if an archive is not completely recovered due to major damage, a second stage is performed. During this stage only the archive structure is reconstructed and it is impossible to recover files, which fail the CRC validation, but it is still possible to recover undamaged files, which were inaccessible due to the broken archive structure. This is useful only for non-solid archives. When the second stage is completed, the reconstructed archive will be saved as _reconst.rar.
This seems to idicate, as you say Shinji, that if the damage is severe, that recovery of corrupted files is impossible, but undamaged ones are recoverable. Not much use with bin/cues.

Like I said, it might be recoverable.

It depends on the damage and the presence of a recovery record.

...and whether the archive is solid or not, as mentioned.

Adding recovery records (dependent on the % the user sets them to) can add to the file size. Because it can't be a solid archive, it usually means for a lesser compression ratio, again adding to file size.

What I do, right after solid raring, I zip them in store format. Before I burn to disc/do any online transfers, I do a scan of the zips' CRCs.

For multiple file (rar or zip) compressing/decompressing, I use RomZipper (with the v1.35b2 update):

http://www.smiff.clara.net/utils/rom.htm

To scan drives/folders for zip file integrity, I use CFAtest:

http://cfa.skuz.net/cfa2.htm

Please do NOT compress BIN/CUE as a solid archive. It's completely useless due to the relative sizes of the image and cuesheet - all it accomplishes is making the archive more difficult to deal with. Solid archiving is good for archives with lots of small files, not for massive chunks of data like full CD images. If you don't believe me, try doing a comparison sometime.

Just as an example, I compressed a 453MB (decimal MB since that's the standard for mass storage and I'm too lazy to convert it) BIN+CUE that I had handy:

Normal, Solid: 315,867,792 bytes

Normal: 315,867,775 bytes

Since you said please... ok ;)

Seriously, I do see what you mean and appreciate the correction. Most of the stuff I've archived have been smaller files in a group, so using solid has been a bit of a habit. I'll treat .bin/.cues (and pretty much any large single files) differently.

Quote: from archiver on 1:54 am on Mar. 8, 2002

...and whether the archive is solid or not, as mentioned.

Isn't that only relevant to rar reconstruction (the second stage) rather than recovery?

Back