DBZ Shinbutohden burning help

erm, Ok... I downloaded Shinbutohden from DC, and uhh burnt it... it looks like it wont run though, since my saturn would not even bother checking the protection ring... anyone have any idea?

Just for info... my second track (sound) is a little defected (static for first about 3 seconds)

Here is the cue sheet

FILE "DBZ Shinbutohden (JAP).iso" BINARY

TRACK 01 MODE1/2048

INDEX 01 00:00:00

POSTGAP 00:02:00

FILE "DBZ 02.wav" WAVE

TRACK 02 AUDIO

PREGAP 00:02:00

FILE "DBZ 03.wav" WAVE

TRACK 03 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 04.wav" WAVE

TRACK 04 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 05.wav" WAVE

TRACK 05 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 06.wav" WAVE

TRACK 06 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 07.wav" WAVE

TRACK 07 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 08.wav" WAVE

TRACK 08 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 09.wav" WAVE

TRACK 09 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 10.wav" WAVE

TRACK 10 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 11.wav" WAVE

TRACK 11 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 12.wav" WAVE

TRACK 12 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 13.wav" WAVE

TRACK 13 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 14.wav" WAVE

TRACK 14 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 15.wav" WAVE

TRACK 15 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 16.wav" WAVE

TRACK 16 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 17.wav" WAVE

TRACK 17 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 18.wav" WAVE

TRACK 18 AUDIO

FILE "DBZ 19.wav" WAVE

TRACK 19 AUDIO

Thanks a lot foe helping!!

Originally posted by youngwookie@Jan. 31 2003, 7:36 pm

FILE "DBZ Shinbutohden (JAP).iso" BINARY

Do you have a non-Japanese Saturn console (e.g., US/Canada unit)? If so, did you patch the ISO with the Saturn Country Code Changer or Satconv to match the region code of your Saturn unit before burning? This is assuming you don't have a country switch installed or a converter cartridge plugged in.

oops, sorry!! I have a Japanese Saturn (Grey, first model, evil 20pin..) I have uhh "perfect" *cough* swapping skills, and yeah, I converted it to Japanese - it was in US mode when I got it. Thanks!

Originally posted by youngwookie@Feb. 01 2003, 12:36 am

erm, Ok... I downloaded Shinbutohden from DC, and uhh burnt it... it looks like it wont run though, since my saturn would not even bother checking the protection ring... anyone have any idea?

Humm, if saturn doesn't even bothers to read the protection ring... That could mean the ISO is corrupted, try opening it with cdmage, and checking if it is OK...

I viewed the iso file with winrar (winrar can view iso files and its contents!) and unless the iso is missing files for some weird reason, i was able to access the files within the iso file. I'll try it with cdmage though, thanks

Did you read/extract ALL of the files from the ISO with WinRAR? Or just some?

You mention that your first audio file had a few second of static at the beginning. That sounds to me suspiciously like data that belongs to the end of the ISO file but was cut off and made it into the audio file instead. Possibly a bad bin/cue-to-iso/mp3 conversion that someone seriously f---ed up.

Try this.

Extract all files (and I mean all files) from the ISO. If you can, great. If NOT, then use some kind of file splicing tool to merge the ISO and the first audio track into one file. Give that resulting file the .iso extension.

You might find that when you now open this new .iso with WinRAR (or CDmage or ISObuster), all the files will be present and readable. Problem would be, you'd also have extraneous data tacked onto the end of the ISO file (namely actual audio) that would make it too long. However, with ISOBuster you can "extract from-to" the ISO to yet another new data track.

You'll have to find the file with the highest LBA, look up its length (in blocks) by rightclicking on it and selecting Properties, add that to the LBA value, and use the result as the LENGTH of your new ISO to be extracted in the "extract from-to" dialog.

A complicated process, but if things are as I suspect they are, this will get you to a fully working game.

I've extracted all files without any errors.

I'm going to try burning the CD as 'mixed mode CD' in Nero,

the contents of iso file being data track, and the audios being... audios...

I'll post if / when it works =P

???

I don't think it will work... because of the necessary 2 secs gap between data and audiotracks...

What burning program were you using before??

You're right, it didn't work, haha

I'm using Nero

(I thought CDRwin didn't work with my cd-recorder, but CDRwin was saying it did not find a "multiple recorder..." silly me... I'm going to try with CDRwin soon...

I hope I dont make more of those freezbes

Originally posted by IBarracudaI@Feb. 04 2003, 1:50 am

I don't think it will work... because of the necessary 2 secs gap between data and audiotracks...

The two-second pause is mandated by the standard for mixed-mode CDs, so I doubt Nero would have problems with it. However, by extracting just the files, you're losing everything not visible to the file system which in this case means the burned copy has no IP and thus won't work no matter what.

Oh and by the way, when I burn the CD (even CD-RW) even the computer cannot read the files... but saturn recognizes it as audio CD though...(doesn't even bother to check the protection ring...) T___T

I"m going to try burning some other game that I downloaded and see if they work... if they dont, that's probably what I get for using winXP and its generic driver for my CD-recorder =P

antime: you're confused. He's trying to get a SATURN game to work, not a DREAMCAST one, so the part about IP.BIN doesn't apply.
tongue.gif

youngwookie: Your idea to use Nero to burn the game was a good one. Burning a mixed-mode CD-ROM instead of loading the .cue file was a bad one.

You mention WinXP, so you should visit www.adaptec.com and install the ASPI layer for NT/2000/XP. Nero will then use that to work with your CD recorder.

You were on the right track (no pun intended)... just make sure to burn via the .cue sheet (select Burn Image from the File menu) and in DAO (not TAO) mode.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@Feb. 08 2003, 12:55 am

antime: you're confused. He's trying to get a SATURN game to work, not a DREAMCAST one, so the part about IP.BIN doesn't apply.

The Saturn's IP is located in the first 150 sectors which are not specified in the ISO9660 standard and are thus

1. available for implementation-specific use, and

2. not visible to the filesystem.

Given 2. above,

I'm going to try burning the CD as 'mixed mode CD' in Nero, the contents of iso file being data track

cannot possibly work. (As you will recall, when burning a mixed mode CD in Nero you cannot use an image as the data track.)

antime: I PROMISE you that you're wrong. Saturn images never require an IP.BIN to be inserted in the first 150 sectors of a CD (I'm assuming you mean the sectors from -00:02:00 to 00:00:00, that is, the pregap before track 1).

Let me stress this again: YOU ARE WRONG.

Where do you think the region info etc. is stored? I remembered wrong in that the unspecified area is only sectors 0-15, but my point still stands. Here's a quote from the "Disc Format Standards Specification Sheet", page 4:

The contents of logical sectors number 0 to 15 are not specified in the ISO9660 standard. A boot program or protection information can be utilized to enable the CD producer to startup the system. Game-CD startup is enabled by defining this area in the disc format.

Prove me wrong, wipe the first sectors of an ISO, burn and boot it.

Taelon, I think antime knows what he's talking about.

Do you read the Dev forum?

Boy, Taelon, did you ever step into a big, fat, steamin' one.
tongue.gif
Naturally, when you copy files/folders from the data track of a Saturn game and rebuild an ISO from that, you lose the IP info from the first 16 sectors (i.e., sectors 0 to 15 as antime mentioned; equivalent to 2,048 bytes x 16 = 65,536 bytes = 32 KB) of the Saturn game.

Without the IP info, your Saturn won't be able to identify that you have a Saturn game, nor will it know the region code as antime pointed out above, therefore won't boot.

If you read my <a href=http://www.litespeedcomputers.com/sx/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=4092>experiment post</a> in the Developers Central forum, notice that I made sure that my rebuilt ISO file contained the necessary IP info?

Fine... y'all wanna hack around on me
tongue.gif
but I'm actually innocent.

I do understand what antime is saying now, but he initially was talking about a FILE called IP.BIN, as well as 150 SECTORS, NOT 16. (from 0-15).

That led to a huge misunderstanding. What I thought he was talking about was:

1. the IP.BIN file that's contained in Dreamcast games, and

2. the *absolute* sectors 0 to 149 on a physical CD, which correspond to time index -00:02:00 to -00:00:01. Whatever the first track of any given CD is doesn't actually start until sector 150.

So, antime, sorry for being so blatant about calling you "wrong." ... my apologies... But as it turns out I'm not wrong either, I was just talking about something else...
blush.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@Feb 11, 2003 @ 09:30 PM

I do understand what antime is saying now, but he initially was talking about a FILE called IP.BIN, as well as 150 SECTORS, NOT 16. (from 0-15).

I never mentioned a file. IP stands for "Initial Program" which is one of the things contained in that area. The 15-150 mixup was due to 150 being some magic constant in the ISO9660 standard (a frame number IIRC).

Back