Digital Optical Sound mod possible?

I've seen that some of the neo geo mods out there feature digital sound. I was wondering if any of the other consoles, like genesis, snes, etc could use digital sound output, directly with a mod, or if the mods would have to convert analog to digital (meaning no sound quality improvement).

I know that there probably aren't many reasons, if any at all, to do anything like this, other than having a tricked out console, but it's just an idea I've been thinking about.

I guess anything is theoretically possible if you can tap the audio before it's converted to analog. Just guessing, but it seems like it would be a matter of finding the right pins of the sound chip and wiring them to the output... I'm sure some circuitry would be required in between. I doubt you'd hear any improvement whatsoever without a high quality amp and speakers, though. Personally I'd save your digital inputs for things that actually need them. Although I agree about the tricked out thing. ;)

Could be possible... I don't know a lot, but I do know that both the Neo Geo and Sega Genny use the Z80 chip as the SPU so if you grabbed the signal before it reached the FM synthesizer chip you'd have a true digital signal.

It would be difficult on the Genesis. The YM2612 has a built-in DAC (unlike most other Yamaha FM chips) so there's no way to capture a digital signal apart from making a YM2612 clone that has a digital output.

One last question. Is the sega cd capable of outputting a DTS signal. In other words, can it be tapped directly from the sega cd, or does it also feature a sound chip with digital analog converter?

You might be able to get the CD audio, but if you can't interface/mix it with the Genesis signal, you won't get any sound effects.

Where'd all the people go that love Records because of the natural analog sound it gives off????

Seriousily, the difference is not gonna be noticeable. This is money and time spent for all the wrong reasons.

Back