disabling digital-audio playback of cd's

Using XP Pro, I right click on my cd drive, in properties I uncheck the box, and I also unchecked the box in media player (even though that's not what I'm gonna use to play cds), but still all my aps are using digital-playback anyway. Any solutions? In case it matters I'm using a plextor px-708-a drive

How about unchecking the box in the actual program you use to play CDs? That would make a bit more sense. (If you haven't figured it out, there's no system-wide setting for it, each program uses whatever method it wants.)

Maybe for some standard Windows multimedia components, but if a program includes support for it the setting has absolutely no effect (I'm currently listening to a CD in Winamp using DAE and the setting is disabled in the device manager).

Some programs that I used to use for cd playback on my old system (winamp 2.x and powerdvd 4) didn't by default play cd's digitally, but I just noticed that the winamp 5 and powerdvd 5 now play digitally by default. Before I knew that it surprised me that I was getting digital playback even though I disabled it in the system properties. WMP apparently had to restart before the option took effect, so that caused me some confusion. In any case, now I would like either:

1) a way to disable digital out of powerdvd 5 (don't see an option anywhere. the reason I want powerdvd as my cd player is b/c my remote is automatically configured for it)

2) a different cd player where I can customize the programs keys so that they match powerdvd's basic cd player functions, therefore eliminating the need to reinitialize my remote

I dunno about PowerDVD, but WinAmp comes with an in_cdda plugin which you can configure to either read audio CDs digitally or play them the analog way.... I would think that PowerDVD is configurable in a similar way, if it too uses a plugin system.

Back