disc swapping hell

when your swapping on a model 1 what is showing on the screen at the exact moment you swap? Do you swap for the copy before the SEGA logo or after the SEGA logo. Also how do you swap using copy/original/copy? Whenver I try to do it I end up at the audio cd/options screen and it checks disc format....

-This is my first time trying to swap and I'm try to get radiant silvergun to play. The first copy I burned in fireburner and the second copy I burned in nero...both using the cuesheet. Is it worth my time to try burning a completely different game to see if it will swap?

-also cdrwin gives me some message about my burner not accepting the cuesheet when I try to use that program. fireburner and nero don't do this.

If CDRWin doesn't accept the cuesheet you can be 90% sure that Nero and Fireburner made duds.

Let's hear it for the cuesheet...

Model 1 is easy. It still had the LED that tells you when the disc is being accessed.

First, place the disc you want to play (import/backup) in the drive. It will read the disc. You must take that disc out before the drive starts to move to the inside of the disc. You'll hear a pretty loud mechanical sound when the disc is moving inward (about 2-3 seconds after you turn the system on). Take out that disc.

Quickly put in a legitimate, domestic disc that has the security ring on it. Again, you'll know when to take it out when you hear that mechanical sound. Switch back to your backup/import.

Takes practice, but once you get it you'll never get it wrong again. Use the lights for help as well. They will flash/turn solid when there's activity.

Originally posted by moving_terror@Apr 30, 2003 @ 12:21 AM

Whenver I try to do it I end up at the audio cd/options screen and it checks disc format....

Did you change the country code to suit your saturn model?

---Ammut

Make your own cue-sheet! Isn't very hard; I made my own for Metal Slug (don't have AR yet so can't play) and Sonic R (works perfectly)...

On a related note, Radiant Silvergun is also Japanese only, so if you have a US console and no Action Replay (or appropriate region-unlocker), you won't be able to play no matter how carefully you swap... unless you change the region of course ;P

How do you know his game is an iso/mp3 and not a bin/cue
wink.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@May 2, 2003 @ 05:19 PM

How do you know his game is an iso/mp3 and not a bin/cue
wink.gif

If it's bin/cue, he should just open the darned cue-sheet in Notepad (or equivalent Linux programme if not using Windows), check the CD mode it requests, and try directly burning the binary.
tongue.gif
Screw the stupid cue sheet...

Actually you can
biggrin.gif
I just rename .BIN to .ISO and make a cue with sega cue maker then I open the cue sheet and rename it back to FILE "example.BIN" BINARY it always worked for me.

Which brings us to the thing about most Saturn games requiring an audio track... and that you can't do without a cuesheet.

Oh, and did I mention I've been meaning to help fix the cuesheet all along?
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: I didn't actually mean "without a cuesheet," but if you do treat the .bin as a single .iso track then you end up with a cuesheet listing only one data track, disregarding the fact that Saturn .bin files usually contain at least two tracks...

Originally posted by Zheræ@May 4, 2003 @ 03:53 AM

Actually you can
biggrin.gif
I just rename .BIN to .ISO and make a cue with sega cue maker then I open the cue sheet and rename it back to FILE "example.BIN" BINARY it always worked for me.

OK, I'll rephrase that:

You can't use it with bin/cues and get a 'proper' copy of the disc.

You'll end up with just one big data track that includes the audio tracks and it won't play any of the CD music. If it's one of the fussy games that require audio tracks to work, it may crash.

ok I've burned a copy of DoA that I got off of icecoolwrx's ftp and when I try to swap it I get the message "game disc unsuitable for system." what's going on now?

you got (another) coaster
biggrin.gif

you need to patch your iso (or bin) with satconv (available in Misc. Section) to match your saturn country code...

well, I patched the region code but still get the error "game disc unsuitable for system"

--this is really confusing because I've followed all of the burning procedure and swapping procedure perfectly. I'm gonna try another game to see what happens.

As Curtis asks, plus did you actually select your region before clicking the Patch button? Was the ISO image file write-protected, maybe? Just things to look out for.
smile.gif

I patched it from europe to North American. oh well, I finally got a burned game to work last night. This is so fucking wicked because there are so many games that I never had the chance to play. Actually the swap trick is really really easy when your not using coasters. thanks for the help y'all

Back