Does anybody have a dedicated emulation (HTPC) box

hey what's the best place to get an XBox mod chip now?

isn't it getting a little tougher now that MS is cracking down on sellers?

Originally posted by racketboy@May 8, 2003 @ 02:48 PM

Update:

Some things have come up and my finances aren't looking quite as generous.

So.... I'm kinda thinking more about the XBox idea. Sure, I'd lose out on some features, but I'm doing some research.

BJammzz or anybody else is welcome to share more XBox details.

I'm hoping the system price goes down to $150 or so in the near future. (quite possible)

What's the best place to get chips? What chip is good? Also consider that I have had bad luck with soldering (Saturn).

What other features would a modded XBox w/ a 120GB HD offer me other than emulation?

What interfaces are good? Are they easily skinnable?

Is there a good program for organizing Divx movies (maybe with DVD covers), by chance?

xbox are 150 @ eb, and you can get it with a 50$ rebate if u buy some cheap accessory and cheap game

things you can get besides emulation - gay frontends that scream homo, play videos you can already watch on your pc, play mp3s you can already play on your pc

just invest in a half decent pc, i use my primary pc for emulation crap and it works great

Originally posted by Jurai+May 13, 2003 @ 05:58 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jurai @ May 13, 2003 @ 05:58 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@May 8, 2003 @ 02:48 PM

Update:

Some things have come up and my finances aren't looking quite as generous.

So.... I'm kinda thinking more about the XBox idea. Sure, I'd lose out on some features, but I'm doing some research.

BJammzz or anybody else is welcome to share more XBox details.

I'm hoping the system price goes down to $150 or so in the near future. (quite possible)

What's the best place to get chips? What chip is good? Also consider that I have had bad luck with soldering (Saturn).

What other features would a modded XBox w/ a 120GB HD offer me other than emulation?

What interfaces are good? Are they easily skinnable?

Is there a good program for organizing Divx movies (maybe with DVD covers), by chance?

xbox are 150 @ eb, and you can get it with a 50$ rebate if u buy some cheap accessory and cheap game

things you can get besides emulation - gay frontends that scream homo, play videos you can already watch on your pc, play mp3s you can already play on your pc

just invest in a half decent pc, i use my primary pc for emulation crap and it works great [/b][/quote]

that was my original plan.

did you read the thread?

I have an HTPC, sort of.

I have a computer (450mhz Celeron, 128 mb ram, 8GB HD) that's hooked up to the TV through a Radeon 7000. Works dandy. I can run emulators, play videos, and watch TV through a WinTV PCI GO that's installed.

I use myHTPC as the frontend, and I couldn't be more satisfied. To control the menus in myHTPC I use ATI's Remote Wonder.

By the way, the HD space isn't really a big problem because I just get everything from other computers on the network. That's a good option, if it's available to you.

I'd forgotten about this thread.

I have an HTPC at home. It's in a constant, but slow state of evoultion as more time and money become available...

It's an Athlon XP 2500 with 256MB RAM and a 120GB HD. It runs to the TV using a Radeon 9600. It also has a Hauppauge PVR 350 for analog TV and a Vision Plus DTB-t card for digital TV. I've barely had the time to cofigure myHTPC let alone any emulators yet, but they're on the list. :)

I also use a Remote Wonder for control.

Back