dreamcast can't read cd-r

Hi, my DC can't read CD-Rs too good; it takes forever and some never load. It even has trouble reading some original games with little scratches. Should I boost the power of the CD lens or reset it or whatever? I bought this used. It runs most originals perfect and fast on the other hand. Please help.

Well, my only real suggestion is to clean the CD lens with one of the kits or to use some rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip. Changing the lens power won't really do you any good, and will probably make it worse off than it already is.

thanks for the reply. i wonder if that will do any good. are you sure that 70% alcohol wont corrupt the lens? its mighty potent. i bought that dc used so i have no clue how much abuse it got. i remember that boosting the lens on my psx back in the day did a good job of speeding things up. does anyone else have an idea on this?

As long as it's just regular, plain old rubbing alcohol (you know, the over the counter stuff you can buy at a drug store), it will be fine.

I remeber the PSX laser thing. I did that for FMV playback with my "backups". The thing is though, the DC is a lot more sensitive than the PSX. There is a much greater chance that you could it prevent it from reading anything than with PSX laser adjustement.

Although, if anyone has done this to their DC, any input would be great.

you can also buy a CD Laser Lens cleaner, which is useful, as it is faster, than the tedious scrubbing.

and, if that doesn't work, try the Q-tip and Isopropyl alchohol.

Back