Dreamcast Modem!

Hi,

I'm in the uk and have a standard UK PAL Dreamcast. Now, my question is; what speed of modem do I have? There is now way in hell that it's a 56k modem. Is there anyway I can but a 56k? Browsing on the DC is so cool but ruined with its slow speed. Thanks

I think they're all 56k modems but I did hear of a 33.6k modem for the DC once... (Disclaimer: I may be wrong and completely full of it.)
tongue.gif

You might be much happier with a broadband adapter
smile.gif
I don't think the difference between a 33.6 and a 56k (if the 33.6 indeed exists) is all that great.

That said you might just be getting poor connections and slow transfer rates on your phone line...

33.6k for UK people... Ah. Then that's probably exactly what I heard about.

I reckon you could get a 56k modem (from an NTSC Dreamcast?), but even so you'd have to have a 56k-capable ISP to dial into, and there's still the question of whether the modem supports the k56flex or the v.90 protocol (or was it x2... man, my memory is going downhill these days)... I wish I could be of more help and less confusion...
wink.gif

ROTFL!!

I knew either mal or antime would pick up on my disclaimer - in fact it's you guys I wrote it for.
laugh.gif
:smash

I know. Doesn't it get cold with your trousers round your ankles all the time though?

Originally posted by Taelon@Mar 19, 2003 @ 10:27 PM

33.6k for UK people... Ah. Then that's probably exactly what I heard about.

Errmm... actually you probably heard about it when the DC was released in Japan, with a 33.6. US DCs got a 56k, which im sure is a v90.

the browser for the dc generally is slower anyway, so it isnt just your modem thats the problem

when it originally came out that this was the case i remember something about being able to force the modem to 56k using the at codes page, but i cant find any sort of info on it now

Originally posted by Taelon@Apr 9, 2003 @ 10:48 PM

WTF??

It's a reference to one of your posts from earlier that day. Doesn't make much sense out of context.

Well, kindly put it back into context for me antime, because I've yet to decide whether to be insulted ...
sad.gif

Originally posted by Funkstar De Luxe@Mar 19, 2003 @ 10:20 PM

I'm afraid broadband isn't available in my area (the entire Scotland actually). I read an article saying the we UK people got 33.6k modems, just wondering if it was true. Also, my PC connects to the internet very well so my phone line is fine
smile.gif

Link to the page i read.

well thats just untrue, scotland is the highest broadband enabled area in the UK just the rural areas of scotland dont have it.

but indepentment companys are opening up in the highlands to provide it.

Originally posted by antime@Apr 14, 2003 @ 02:14 AM

Here you go, feel insulted if you want to.

Haha, I see
tongue.gif
Gee, antime, thanks a lot
tongue.gif
Yeah, mal may have pulled a good one on me that one time, but where do you get that idea I'm running around with my pants down "all the time"?
rolleyes.gif

Or are you just trying to get back at me for repeatedly declaring ANTIME, YOU'RE WRONG! in that thread about IP.BIN and first 150 sectors and whatnot?
smile.gif
I did feel bad about that one, though
blush.gif

Absolutely. My plan is to stalk you for the rest of your life. I'll move to where you live, I'll get a job where you work. And you'll live in constant fear that the moment you say something that's not a hundred percent factually correct someone will jump out from behind your back and scream "That's not right, trouser-boy!"

Have a nice day, don't forget to check your facts and look over your shoulder.

Me neither. antime, I gotta hand it to you.
smile.gif

EDIT: Just a question guys. I'm considering taking hormones and wearing skirts from now on. Any thoughts?

Back