Dreamcast Resetting After 10 Mins

Help! I got a second hand Dreamcast about a year ago and have used it less than frequenly (untill I got Shenmue that is
smile.gif
) However tonigh my DC reset itself after 10 mins of Jet Set Radio. It then continually resets itself until it is switched off. I have treated my DC very well but when I first bought it it was covered in nicotine smoke *yuk* and generally in a bad way. How can I fix my DC? I can't afford a new one and need to find out what Ryo gets up to in Shenmue 2. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For heaven's sake! Open that DC of yours up and give the insides a GOOD cleaning. You can be almost certain that nikotine stuff had formed a coating on the innards causing them to overheat (despite the fan and grilles).

Asshole smokers, all of 'em .....
ph34r.gif

i smoke and i'm damn proud of it

then again i live in california so it's sort of neccesary to counterbalance everyone else

as far as the d.c., they're cheap enough that you should pr'lly pick another one up

and if cleaning the tar out of the one you have gets it working properly then you've ogt redundancy, or a great and inexpensive gift

Originally posted by sizone@Feb 27, 2003 @ 02:45 AM

then again i live in california so it's sort of neccesary to counterbalance everyone else

as far as the d.c., they're cheap enough that you should pr'lly pick another one up

and if cleaning the tar out of the one you have gets it working properly then you've ogt redundancy, or a great and inexpensive gift

Why would you be proud of smoking? I dont know many people that take pride in wasting their money and killing themselves.

Originally posted by sizone@Feb 26, 2003 @ 06:45 AM

blink.gif
Huh? That's strange. Nowadays, smokers are modern day lepers.

My father is a Respiratory Therapist... man, you have no idea how often I hear 'I wish I never touched cigarettes... trust me, don't ever smoke or you'll end up like me', or something like that.

Do yourself a favor, stop killing yourself. Is it really worth it?

We've all got to go sometime.

Surely this isn't the place to be discussing it anyways. The problem is that the fan for the DC blows right into the power board, weakening the contact with dirt. Just clean it and it'll be fine.

I gave it a good clean and it works great. You would _not_ believe the horrible shit I had to clean out of it. Some of the plstic on the inside is _stained_ brown! *YUK* Anyway, a friend of mine told me to lift of the power board and clean those 5 or 6 metal pins which connect to it as that is what was causing to prob.

PS If you's seen inside this DC you would not smoke. You would have though the guy had been blowing it into the fan or something. Idiot.

Glad Funkstar got this issue taken care of... I kinda knew, too, 'cause when I bought my DC used it was smelly and had a lot of grime, and it (and the controller and VMU) got a GOOD cleanin' and has run very reliably since.

sizone, I don't care whether you smoke or not, as long as it isn't around me
wink.gif

Nor did I mean to attack anyone who smokes - my "asshole smokers, all of 'em" remark was more or less just thrown into the room without much thought to it. I guess I was just referring to those who'd carelessly damage a Sega console by smoking near it.
tongue.gif

Yeah, if your smoking don't do it near sensitive electrical equipment. That's even more dumb.

@ Taelon - People who smoke deserve some verbal abuse, it's the only way we'll get some sense into them
smile.gif
. Sizone, it was for your own good
wink.gif

Well, I'm staying out of this one
smile.gif

You know, we've been at a stalemate with smokers forever now - we say "why you wanna kill yourself etc.?" and they say "it's my life, I can do what I want, so what if I die sooner, at least I'll have enjoyed life" ... and really, it's like a checkmate at this point. In a way though, the smokers win, it IS their prerogative. I resort myself to attacking the stupidity, not of smoking itself, but of doing it around 1. non-smoking people and 2. electronics and other things that don't take well to nicotine coating. That's all
tongue.gif

Geeez. Seems like you all think that smokers put all the smoke into his computer's fan or something like that. You can smoke like there's no tomorrow and have all your electronic equipment OK. I can asure it. You only have to be a little carefull and clean the stuff regularly.

Which is exactly what the Dreamcast's previous owner failed to do. Right?

Look, nobody's attacking all smokers in general. Double-geez
tongue.gif
Let's drop it before mal has to lock yet another thread
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@Mar 8, 2003 @ 12:36 PM

...mal has to lock yet another thread
tongue.gif

ARRRGH!

Why is it that "mal" will always lock your thread????!?!?!

Why is everyone always looking to "mal"??!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?...!

Mal can't help you now! HAhah - there's no mal to lock this thread for you now, eh? Did you ever think of that? DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT? Eh? EH?

MAL isn't looking so scary now, is he? IS HE? Hahahhehahhah Haheha ahahe??!?!!!?!?!...!...?

(
tongue.gif
)
blink.gif
unsure.gif
ph34r.gif

But he always ends up being the one locking a thread.
smile.gif

mal, would you give Curtis a bashing for me please? LOL
laugh.gif

Back