Dreamcast

uhm, no.

you pirate games and then try to copyprotect the stolen game so others don't make copies?

uhm, no.

you pirate games and then try to copyprotect the stolen game so others don't make copies?
That sounds like trying apply a copy protection to copied games and selling them so that buyers can't or have a hard time copying the copy-protected copied games.

Copy protection is pretty much a waste of time anyway unless you're also in control of the target platform and can engineer it so that circumvention is too expensive or troublesome to be an attractive option. I think it's safe to assume that you're not in control of Dreamcast. Besides, unless you intend to go to mass production, you're not going to have access to anything that can beat a simple image copy.

edit: to actually answer your question, *yes*, it is possible. The Bleemcast disks, for example, are copy protected. I have no idea how it works though.

(Edited by ExCyber at 4:23 pm on Jan. 31, 2002)

I went to the "black market" of my city, just to see that the ripped Shenmue 2 is copy protected with overburn for most popular programs, and others can't even recognize the CD TOC.

I wonder how they did modify the TOC to be unreadable for most programs...anyway, they weren't "smart" enough to make me "defeat" it :p

(Edited by Gear at 7:20 pm on Feb. 14, 2002)

Quote: from ExCyber on 4:12 pm on Jan. 31, 2002

edit: to actually answer your question, *yes*, it is possible. The Bleemcast disks, for example, are copy protected. I have no idea how it works though.

(Edited by ExCyber at 4:23 pm on Jan. 31, 2002)

I believe that the bleem program (and I'm putting this in plain english) says to the Dreamcast "Hey, Dreamcas, why don't you go check this sector of the disc for me?" The Dreacast says "It appears to be a bad sector." Bleem then goes "Why don't you check a few other sectors for me?" If the Dreamcast reports that all sectors that were asked of it to be checked were bad, then bleem will run.

Yes, I know that was pretty corny.

Question:

If the people which made bleamcast were able to creat copy protection that worked for DC, why didn't Sega do the same kind of protection? Just about every DC game to ever come out has been copied, but Bleamcast disks have yet to be. I would think that Sega would know more about copy protection then that little bankrupt company ever could.

Quote: from Fabrizo on 12:45 am on Feb. 25, 2002

Question:

If the people which made bleamcast were able to creat copy protection that worked for DC, why didn't Sega do the same kind of protection? Just about every DC game to ever come out has been copied, but Bleamcast disks have yet to be. I would think that Sega would know more about copy protection then that little bankrupt company ever could.

Bleemcast uses regular cd's, just with copy protection, DC games used gd rom technology. The technology used in bleemcast simply prevents regular cd drives from reading the regular cd data at all.

Originally posted by Gear@Feb. 14 2002, 5:17 pm

I went to the "black market" of my city, just to see that the ripped Shenmue 2 is copy protected with overburn for most popular programs, and others can't even recognize the CD TOC.

I wonder how they did modify the TOC to be unreadable for most programs...anyway, they weren't "smart" enough to make me "defeat" it
tongue.gif

(Edited by Gear at 7:20 pm on Feb. 14, 2002)

I think it depends on the CD ROM drive.

I have seen some that can copy the rip of Shenmue II and others that cannot -- very weird.

Yeah, I know this is old, but...

believe that the bleem program (and I'm putting this in plain english) says to the Dreamcast "Hey, Dreamcas, why don't you go check this sector of the disc for me?" The Dreacast says "It appears to be a bad sector." Bleem then goes "Why don't you check a few other sectors for me?" If the Dreamcast reports that all sectors that were asked of it to be checked were bad, then bleem will run.

Based on what I've heard about Rand's coding abilities and the PC Bleem protection, and considering the fact that Bleemcast still hasn't been cracked while virtually every high-profile licensed game has been cracked and ripped into nice bite-size chunks, I doubt it's that simple. It seems more likely that it does something Extremely Clever like using a combination of bad sectors and semi-legal TOC entries to encode a series of encryption keys that are used to decrypt the Bleem program.

Theres like a bunch of tracks on the disc like of milliseconds in length that can't be recreated on a standard home burner. It makes the checks for them and boom!
smile.gif

Rand should have liscensed out the protection on it... coulda made some more cash to fight Sony
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Hollywood Hasney@Nov. 06 2002, 9:05 pm

Rand should have liscensed out the protection on it... coulda made some more cash to fight Sony
tongue.gif

It would have made more money than Bleemcast ever would have.

Theres like a bunch of tracks on the disc like of milliseconds in length that can't be recreated on a standard home burner. It makes the checks for them and boom!
smile.gif

Merely checking for the track layout would be pretty weak; it ranks just above making users type in a word from the manual.

As usual clever ExCyber is right! Any program which uses a simple check like that can be broken quite easily by stepping into it. All you'd really need to do is change the JMP condition. However if you used encryption, that changes everything.

Originally posted by racketboy@Nov. 07 2002, 10:18 am

What about the serial # with PSO?

That only stops you from playing online. You can still play offline with any serial you happed to get from somewhere. (Makes me wonder just what idiots buy PSO used anyway since the serial number was already registered to a specific dreamcast.)

Originally posted by gameboy900+Nov. 07 2002, 6:25 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gameboy900 @ Nov. 07 2002, 6:25 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Nov. 07 2002, 10:18 am

What about the serial # with PSO?

That only stops you from playing online. You can still play offline with any serial you happed to get from somewhere. (Makes me wonder just what idiots buy PSO used anyway since the serial number was already registered to a specific dreamcast.)[/b][/quote]

Most didnt know that when they bought it used, but you could just call Sega and tell them your story and they will reset it for you... My friends used to do it. Anyways, Can't you just use Clone CD and check 'Read Raw Subchannel Data' and burn Bleemcast! discs for DC, or will they not read at all in your CDROM?

No, you can't just do that. CloneCD would never end reading the disc (or maybe the cdrom can be stressed so bad that it would kill it), and if it does, maybe the burned image would not boot in a dc.

I figure you have to find a more "intelligent" error scan, and do some patching to the image (to fix the toc/subchannels) or the emulator itself (to make it not to scan for the protection).

Back