Dual Shock Adapter for Saturn

For the 1000th time: the saturn twin sticks have NOTHING special. It just maps to the normal Saturn controller buttoms, like this (mapping might be incorrect, but it's more or less this):

Code:
Left stick:

UP   = D-pad UP

DOWN  = D-pad DOWN

LEFT  = D-pad LEFT

RIGHT  = D-pad RIGHT

TRIGGER = Z

Right stick:

UP   = Y

DOWN  = A

LEFT  = X

RIGHT  = B

TRIGGER = C

I'm not sure about the DC one. Maybe the DC one maps to an even weirder scheme to support analog, like left stick maps to analog pad, and right stick X axis maps to analog L trigger, and right stick Y axis maps to analog R trigger. Weird, but it would work.

Or maybe it isn't analog (never tested one). After all, there is an adapter that allows you to use the Saturn Twinsticks.

And you don't map them. When you set the Saturn VO to twisticks mode, it switches the a control setup that matches the twinsticks' mapping (I don't remember if a similar setup is avaliable in normal modes - I think it is).

The DC version might detect the twinstick's ID and change to a preset control setup.

Hmmm... using that info it wouldn't be too hard to build an custom controller for virtual on. however also using that info I don't think that the adaptor you're looking at would do what you want it to.

Yeah, if you bastardarize a saturn controller and two digital joystics with triggers, you can make one, with aid of some duct tape. :]

or if you're feeling snazzy (love that word) you could get some happ controls, and bastardize only a saturn controller... then just make a box for it or something, arcade wood (particle board) is good for that sort of thing.

someone should build and sell some
smile.gif

dunno about sell, but I think I'm gonna build a couple for myself and friends... depending on how well it goes I may be willing to build some for others maybe... lol.... cause I'm pretty lazy.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jul 10, 2003 @ 10:58 PM

someone should build and sell some
smile.gif

I am sure it has been done... It isn't a hard process.

Plus, custom boxes with hacked up controllers get done a lot, not necessarily saturn but there is sites/pics/diagrams out there..

You may want to check out this site if your interested the least bit, it is a great site with loads of info http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

Hmm...

when you can get Saturn twin sticks for $30 off eBay wonder why do you want to build one. DC twin sticks on the otehr hand is another story...

dj898

Because it is fun, and feels better to have made something for your console/arcade. Also, your in control of customizing what goes where to fit your own hands.
rolleyes.gif

You know it's a bit more complicated than just hacking up a regular saturn controller. The twin sticks have internal circuitry that causes the saturn to detect them as a different controller. If you play VirtualOn with a regular controller you will notice the controls are nowhere near mapped to two "virtual" sticks. So unless you're prepared to create these custom circuits (of which btw there is no real info as far as I know) making custom twinsticks is basically impossible.

AFAIK, you can go into options and switch the game to Twinsticks yourself, even if you don't have any twinsticks.

--EDIT--

I just booted Virtual On. The game ASKs me if I'm using controllers or twinsticks. This hints it doesn't autodetects them (because they are merely oddly shaped Saturn controllers?), but I never tested twinsticks, so I might be wrong.

Here is what happens if I set the game to Twinsticks:

Code:
Left stick:

UP   = D-pad UP

DOWN  = D-pad DOWN

LEFT  = D-pad LEFT

RIGHT  = D-pad RIGHT

TRIGGER = L

Right stick:

UP   = Y

DOWN  = B

LEFT  = X

RIGHT  = Z

TRIGGER = A

So, even if in a spit of chance the actual twinsticks DO have something special about them, building your own twinsticks simply using the control mapping above would work nonetheless.

Umm...don't the twin sticks have 4 triggers on them? One on each stick for weapons and then the two dash buttons (which could very well be linked to do that same thing).

OWNED! lol... I'm off to go look at the happ website see how much building myself a custom controller of this type will cost me.

Edit: Well I jut went and looked at the website, and it's not worth building unless it'll be good, and for it to be good with happ controls isn't worth it to me. I like virtual on, but I don't like it $300 lol. Might be able to pull it off with some cheap-o joysticks that have like a single button on the top... but then it falls into the who cares category. The joysticks that would be perfect for this though are $150+ each.

Back