Dvd burners

Im looking to get a new internal dvd burner, mine isn't quite cutting it these days (+r and single layer only). I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction of a burner that can do - and + R discs, plus can do dual layered burns (so I don't have to go through as many discs, their still expensive after all). Also, one that can burn Dreamcast discs (for emus like NesterDC) would be preferable.

I have found several ones that claim to have most of those features, but the DC thing isn't realy talked about much (for obvious reasons).

WHOA!

Fabrizo's back again!

You gonna gonna stay this time or what?

:lol:

Also, you may not recognize me, but it's your old buddy Cloud!

:thumbs-up:

Well, I actualy came back to help out on NX a couple of months back, but then I lost my net connection :damn:. Thats been my main problem for the past year or so is that I can't seem to keep a net connection for more then a few months before something or other happens that ends with me losing it. BUT, in September im moving into a new place (no more crappy dorms for me), and I plan on getting net access first thing. So assuming everything goes well with that I should finnaly be back to stay :)

(PS: If that goes well, you might be seeing those changes to NX that were promised long ago finaly :smokin:)

Sony's DW-D18A and NEC's ND-2510A are both affordable dual-layer drives. I haven't used any myself, so I can only point out what I see. If I come across any good reviews I'll let you know. The only thing I don't like about DVD DL burners is their write speeds for DL discs suck. About discs for DC, any halfway decent burner capable of writing to CD-Rs should do the trick.

Just a note, if you're thinking that dual layer will save you money, remember that you have to buy a DVD+R DL disc to get the extra space. You can't just take existing media and burn to a non-existent second layer. It's still awesome to have the full capacity of DVDs available on writable media, but not for the purposes of cheap storage - yet. Media prices will come down I'm sure.

Yeah, but at the price and reported quality of the ND-2510 there's no substantial advantage to buying a single-layer burner, so it's worth it just for the marginal future-proofing (Blu-Ray is coming, after all... :rolleyes:)

Originally posted by ExCyber@Aug 16, 2004 @ 02:02 AM

Yeah, but at the price and reported quality of the ND-2510 there's no substantial advantage to buying a single-layer burner, so it's worth it just for the marginal future-proofing (Blu-Ray is coming, after all...  :rolleyes:)

I never said there was any advantage at all to buying a single layer only DVD burner now. It'd be pointless. But he said that he didn't want to go through so many discs because they're still expensive. So I had to make sure to point out that it may not save him any money at all. But it can burn all the old stuff as well, so indeed it is the obvious choice. I still wouldn't want to burn DL discs on a regular basis, not at 2.4X... 2 minute CDR burns have spoiled me.

Dyne is right, the 2510A is readily available at Newegg at an excellent price. Heck, if I needed the capability, I'd pick one up! By the time I get another burner, that blasted blu-ray will probably be showing up in HD players or some such garbage. Damnit, CDs lasted (are still lasting?) for ages, why do I get the feeling these companies are out to kill DVD?? They should change the data before they change the physical medium, or can't they do better than MPEG-2 :angry:

why do I get the feeling these companies are out to kill DVD?

Because they are.

They should change the data before they change the physical medium, or can't they do better than MPEG-2

That's the Chinese approach with EVD; it's DVD, but with On2's VP6 codec at a license fee of $2 per player and no per-disc royalties instead of MPEG-2/AAC/CSS/Macrovision which is reported to be about $20 per player (recently, there was an article on Slashdot saying that the manufacturers of low end DVD players have roughly a $1 profit margin per unit :blink:)

Originally posted by ExCyber@Aug 17, 2004 @ 02:08 PM

That's the Chinese approach with EVD; it's DVD, but with On2's VP6 codec at a license fee of $2 per player and no per-disc royalties instead of MPEG-2/AAC/CSS/Macrovision which is reported to be about $20 per player (recently, there was an article on Slashdot saying that the manufacturers of low end DVD players have roughly a $1 profit margin per unit :blink:)

I'd believe it. The problem with China's approach is that they're going to end up doing it alone. That doesn't help me, Sony and their allies will be trying to shove Blu-Ray discs down my throat in a year. The friggin DVD Forum served its purpose semi-OK for a while, but they've totally lost it now. Furthermore, I hate the idea that I could eventually be buying a Betamax 2 without knowing its a Betamax 2 when I buy it. You get my drift?

I hate the idea that I could eventually be buying a Betamax 2 without knowing its a Betamax 2 when I buy it. You get my drift?

Then wait until one format is a clear winner, or until someone releases a multi-format player. This isn't quite like Betamax vs. VHS - the industry is well established now, and I doubt the major players want to see an all-out public format war any more than we do. It will most likely be decided in board rooms where movie publishers are convinced to support one format or the other ahead of the launch or shortly afterward...

I hope so. Still, let me ask a question: If one or more of the major players had an alliance, and were convinced that they could WIN a format war, would they wage one? If they win, they can force everyone else to bend over and pay royalties like men.

Ah, well, anyway. More on topic. Earlier I was lamenting the poor write speeds of these new DVD burners. A DL disc at full capacity would take around 44 minutes to burn at 2.4X. That's freakin ridiculous. However, Pioneer just released the first salvo in another speed war. The DVR-A08XLA, capable of 16X DVD+/-R, but more importantly (and the first to do it) 4X DL. That cuts recording time from 44 down to 27 minutes.

Originally posted by Quakester2000@Aug 18, 2004 @ 10:04 PM

What ever happened the -R DL format that was meant to come out, there is still no news on Dual layer -R drives or media.

AFAIK, the + guys were the only ones to put effort into this, and thus they have a product on the market. I've never heard of any efforts by the - people to come up with DL tech. That's probably why there isn't any news... they don't have anything?

I think Pioneer demoed a -R DL disc at a trade show some months ago, but I haven't heard anything about production. It may be that they decided to give up on it because the +R guys got to market first.

Are there any players that do +/- SL and + DL? Also, had happened to DVD RAM? Did that totaly flop? I only see those in home theater components.

DVD-RAM mostly flopped as a video storage medium, but it has actually done pretty well as a data storage medium.

Originally posted by schi0249@Aug 19, 2004 @ 07:18 PM

Are there any players that do +/- SL and + DL?

I think pretty much all the DVD burners that do +DL do +/-SL. I know for sure the two I listed that are available and the upcoming one I posted about do.

Back