Egword 2.0 English translation

Keyboard is now translated. Looks okay, I tried to fit the full word in where possible (all apart from cancel, which is CAN). Might try even out the size of words to match better. Found some other in-game images with Japanese words on that I needed to figure out which file they were located in and change. There also now done. Just need to test it, check the warning signs, and create the patch. Looking to release it by the end of the week accompanied by a video detailing how you hook up a digital camera using the interface to added your own images (and tips on using egword) .

translated egword keyboard.png

Last edited:
some of the lettering is bigger on the words in the keyboard above to fill the space or i can use the same size letters for all words , but it leaves space at the sides (see below).

Any opinions on best one ?

ps. for clarification the difference is only in the bottom two rows on keyboard.

translated egword keyboard 2.png

Last edited:
finished off last of the editing/ translating earlier. just need to have a last test of it make sure all menus are working fine. then will release it for people to try and if theres any issues i will update the patch. Its currently only been tested by me so more people having a play round may find some minor issues, but all seems fine to me.

Thank you for the input and reply about the keyboards. I went with the second keyboard because despite the 1st one being easier to read its very obvious that some letters are wider than others when using it on a tv with real hardware. I thought the second one looked more professional and how you would expect it if it was a real English version release, with letters more similar in size/ shape. The onscreen keyboard is mainly there to have a quick play. if you want to type anything properly then a saturn keyboard is best.

Question

I was looking at how i am going to create a patch for it earlier. So my current file of egword translation consists of files bin1, bin2, cue. I have only made changes to bin1 files. So i used xdelta and basically put in bin1 of the original game and bin1 of my translation. This gave me a xdelta patch, which i can share.

You can then take this patch and a rip of your own game. Use Delta patcher and add bin1 in from your original game rip and my patch to create a patched version of your original rip.

If you then burn the cue of your original once the patch is added to bin1 it seemed to work on real hardware when i tested it and is quick to do.

Does this sound like its the right process for creating a patch or is there a better way?

Last edited:
I would suggest using Knight0fdragon’s Sega Saturn Patcher to create a patch that others can apply to their ISOs using Sega Saturn Patcher.

Great! Is it possible to know what protocol the printer uses to communicate with the console?
Hey, The egword 2.0 printer interface is connected to the Saturn by the communication port on the back and the interface has a parallel port on the end that connects to a printer. That's all I know as I am still waiting for my printer to arrive. There's a picture of the set up earlier in this thread.

I would suggest using Knight0fdragon’s Sega Saturn Patcher to create a patch that others can apply to their ISOs using Sega Saturn Patcher.

Thank you for the reply I will have a look at doing that later

Hey, The egword 2.0 printer interface is connected to the Saturn by the communication port on the back and the interface has a parallel port on the end that connects to a printer. That's all I know as I am still waiting for my printer to arrive. There's a picture of the set up earlier in this thread.
Thank you for the reply.
The FDD also connects to the communication port, BIOS routine sends commands via SH2.SCI to the communication port, then to the FDD. FDD then send back response data to SH2.SCI. Sanford T. Freedman did researches on the communication between FDD and SH2.SCI, based on his research, I implemented FDD emulation.

051.png

Last edited:

I couldn't seem to figure out how to create a patch using knightofdragon patcher. I have used it before to add a patch to cotton (worked great), but i must be doing something wrong when trying to create a new patch it wont let me select option. I will probably just stick with method i said above seems to work okay.

The egword 2.0 english translation patch is now in the resourses section for download:

Read the read me the patch should be very easy to apply. I am calling it beta 0.9 as i am the only person who has previous tested it. If you find any issues please post it here and i will update/ fix it.

Hope people enjoy having a play around with it.

I have also done a video showing tips and how to set up a digital camera in detail with the interface to download and edit pictures.

Hello, thanks for work translating this software. I can't get it to boot on a Saturn with a MODE device installed or in the emulator SSF. It patches without issue in Delta Patcher but freezes on MODE at the license screen and crashes out of SSF at the license screen.

Could you tell me the MD5 of your image after a successful patch? I ended up with the following.

EGWord Ver 2.00 (Track 1).bin
MD5: 2dd639c510aa1b013a5c9bd2208bdcb8

Hello, thanks for work translating this software. I can't get it to boot on a Saturn with a MODE device installed or in the emulator SSF. It patches without issue in Delta Patcher but freezes on MODE at the license screen and crashes out of SSF at the license screen.

Could you tell me the MD5 of your image after a successful patch? I ended up with the following.

EGWord Ver 2.00 (Track 1).bin
MD5: 2dd639c510aa1b013a5c9bd2208bdcb8
Hi, I have checked my MD5 and it is the same as the one you have. I have not tested it on mode or any ode or ssf. It's unfortunate it's not working on them. I will discuss it with some others and see if I can find a solution.

I know it definitely works using a pseudo Saturn on real hardware. That's what I use and all my videos are from. I also used the emulator yabause for some of my testing and it works on that aswell.

Hi, I have checked my MD5 and it is the same as the one you have. I have not tested it on mode or any ode or ssf. It's unfortunate it's not working on them. I will discuss it with some others and see if I can find a solution.

I know it definitely works using a pseudo Saturn on real hardware. That's what I use and all my videos are from. I also used the emulator yabause for some of my testing and it works on that aswell.
Hello, Just a heads up to let you know I now have a Fenrir ode, and your translation works pefectly on Fenrir. The issue of it not booting seems specific to the MODE ode. Thank you very much for your work :)

Hello, Just a heads up to let you know I now have a Fenrir ode, and your translation works pefectly on Fenrir. The issue of it not booting seems specific to the MODE ode. Thank you very much for your work :)
Thank you for letting me know it works with Fenrir. Hope you enjoy playing around with the egword translation

Back