Emulation vs the Real Thing?

I prefer emulation when its good like SNES9X, ePSXe or even arcade emulators like Winkawaks, its a pain in the ass to try and fing the real games, overpay $$$ for acessories like RGB and power cables for old systems, and I have no space for more consoles, NO loading times, save states, it has a lot of advantages, for pads you can get the adaptoids or make one, it really depends what systems is being emulating.

That feel of playing on the real machine is indiferent to me its the games that count not the systems but none the less PC´s are a lot noisier compared to a console unless its a DC we talking about.

I have to say, nothing beats the originals. Lately, I've been on a kick replacing my ROMS with the actual cartridges, or CD's.

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Jul 25, 2003 @ 12:25 AM

But why limit yourself to Dreamcast-standard resolution? Just go up to 1024x768 and set 4x AA and 16x AF... ^_^

When you only have a standard TV, as he may well be stuck with? You can always AA and filter of course, but the TV would still have resolution limits. A lot of cards let you run at higher res while using TV-out, but they just downsize it in the end (for a standard TV), which may be even worse.

Anyway, I prefer having the original machine and game. That's just personal preference. However, emulation is a close second, and it has its advantages. Especially emulation of a console, on another console. Very convenient to move a DC around, not so convenient to pack up and move all my PC stuff.

I prefer the real systems. I'll use emulation if a game is pretty much beyond my means, but other than that, I try not to. I even prefer playing C64 games on the real thing. There's just something about having the real controller in your hands and playing games with the video output they were intended for. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there's more to it than that. Also, I'm a big fan of video game music, and sound accuracy tends to be overlooked when it comes to emulation (of course, you might not notice the difference if you're not familiar with the real thing).

Back