Erosion of gamers – Why SX is starting to suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Split it onto 2 different servers, 2 different hosts, rebuild a completely new side.. sure.

will YOU pay the cost of the new server, the very high bandwidth cost, the URL, will you build the site, manage the setup and the users?

didn't think so.

No need to rip him apart =P

He is allowed to post his thoughts. However I think trent needs to realize that we all arent the "Holy" people in a "Holy" place =P

It's all true, I really had about 48 hours of notice that I was being booted and demodded from SX, I just sat around twiddling my thumbs instead of making backups, and I just love SX posting rom links on the front page!

Sorry it took so long, I went on vacation, had a birthday, went to a graduation for a girl with wings (angel? hmm), mmm, outside.

Anyhow, all the foul rumors are true, and I am satan incarnate as some would have you believe. Msg me if you want to send me a baby to eat.

Ciao.

Whoa - you're in to eating babies too ??!?

I thought that was just me...
tongue.gif

Heh, would someone mind filling me in on why Skank got demodded? Apperently people claim it wasn't a secret, but someone forgot to tell a *lot* of people. Even skank himself says he got only 48 hours before it happend and he didn't know jack about what was going on. All he could do is sit twiddling his thumbs.

no offense to anyone but why should we be told why actions were taken by administrators upon skank? when it comes down to it, it doesn't affect me in any way.

You REALLY want to know my intentions when I first started out SegaXtreme? Ok...here my story.

A while ago I started to peice together a pc that was going to be used as a "router" for 3 other computers in my home. I wanted to do something else with that pc since all it was doing was allowing the other pc's in my home to connect to the net. I then decided to use it as an ftp server for various "appz/gamez" for the site Happy Hippo.

About a week later I decided to try something out and rip a couple Sega CD games into ISO and MP3 format so that people could download those games and see how cool they were. While I did this I took all of the "warez" stuff which was up and devoted it soley to Sega CD games to see how it would turn out. Well, the turnout was great, alot of downloads and I started getting in "Genesis" music ripped from the real thing and not an emulator.

I then came to the conclusion that I should make a webpage for it. With my limited html skills (and obsetions with putting midis in the start of the page) I made the website you all currently know and love/hate SegaXtreme. This site was devoted to Sega CD games and Genesis music.

Still hosting the page on my computer which was on a cable modem I decided to give out a "treat" on XMAS holiday to my loyal site goers, a Saturn Game to download! The next morning I noticed that I could not even go onto the web myself because of all of the bandwidth my site was taking up! So I took the Saturn game down and I still could barely go onto the internet to do basic things.

In 1998 I decided to start up a computer consulting company while I was still in High School. This as you all know is LiteSpeed Computers. So I bought the dns litespeedcomputers.com which we are "still" hosted under after all these years. And moved the html of the site from my computer to a t3 host! What a difference that made on my router! And I could actually have ALOT of people visit my site at once instead of a limited amount of people.

I started to REALLY focus on the music aspect of the site and I had THE LARGEST GENESIS and Sega CD music archive on the net period(yea, bigger then perfect-zero.com)! I also had some people that hosted the mp3's for me with fast downloads for ALL instead of my computer. So no I am moving away from having everything on my computer to having just the Sega CD games on my pc.

Having discoverd the joys of "free web space hosting" I started to put up the Sega CD games on a number of free hosting sites. This worked for almost a year then one of our own staff pimpbot5k totally screwed the site over and we lost alot of our stuff. But we bounced back and all hope was not lost. We had to almost start from scratch again but with the support of all our users we had a HUGE archive of Sega CD and Saturn games hosted on those "free hosting companies".

2001 most of the free hosting companies went belly up and kicked all its user out which killed almost all of our downloads. Then the host for the Genesis mp3's also died and we were stuck. I couldnt really decide what to do so I just sent out a message asking for someone that could host the Genesis mp3's on a t1 or greater connection and I got it! I was so happy after this that I could finally get this great site of mine up and running once more!

Up to this date there have been alot of changes to the site that you may or may not like. But I enjoy it and I do it because of the emails I get! Emails like "thanks for the site I love it that there are still Sega Fans out there" or "I have been looking for the .... soundtrack for so long! Thank you" and "Keep up the great work, your site kicks ass"! I do not get many of them but when I do it makes me feel like I'm on top of the world!

Yea, I probably forgot alot of things due to my poor memory so sorry if I left anything out. If you do not like what the staff and I do to this so go away.

Thanks for all the fun guys and gals! It's been a blast! And thanks to all the staff that have helped me out over the years! Thank you Lazy_Q, |Ray|, Nigel, Revquixo, Mowgli, Karny, Skankinmonkey, Ratamahatta, Hollywood Hasney, and Mysticales! (If I forgot someone please tell me, as I said before my memory is bad)

LONG LIVE SEGAXTREME!!! :beerchug

Yea, with that new name you're using, the 1 post, no admin, and uncharacteristicly bad grammar, I'd think Myst was posting for you
tongue.gif

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@June 16 2002,19:59

Yea, with that new name you're using, the 1 post, no admin, and uncharacteristiclybad grammar, I'd think Myst was posting for you
tongue.gif

You're complaining about grammar? ???
wink.gif

I loved the improper use of commas in that last sentance.
biggrin.gif

It appears Skank always finds an opportunity to make a comment at your expense Mystic.

I certainly don't see why such a comment was necessary.
sad.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this one of the reasons Skank got in trouble with Iceman? ???
devil.gif

Out of respect and not to start a flame, "I" wont be the one listing reasons. Also Iceman... I think Ill steal this post to make "About SX" page =P

Actually, comma's were properly used in my post. When listing things one tends to use comma's after each thing listed.

And myst, I was just pointing out that Ice's post was one of the least legible things he's written that I've seen, which is something I'd expect of you since half of your posts appear to have been run through babelfish 5 times. And no, it's not a flame, it's a fact of life, you have poor english/grammar skills, deal with it. Improve yourself or don't, you're a big girl, make your own decisions now.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@June 17 2002,17:17

When listing things one tends to use comma's after each thing listed.

One tends to use comma's what? (It's a well-known rule of the Internet that every spelling-flame contains at least one error.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back