Erratic Saturn

Hello all, I have recently become interested in the Sega Saturn and, as such, decided to purchase one off of eBay. When it arrived today, it worked fine, in fact, I was able to try out a few CDs and play half an hour or so of Sonic 3D before I ran off to do some errands :p . HOWEVER, it recently began behaving rather oddly. Sometimes it plays CDs, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, the access light flashes a few times, then stops, and I simply receive a black screen. Other times, it will play the CD, but only for a few minutes before going to black screen again. It's never the same amount of play time, it just stops at some point, but generally within 5 minutes.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? And does anyone know what I can do to fix it? The only thing I have done with this system is replace the battery, which was already dead when I bought it.

Regards,

Theodore Brown

<<Additonal info:>>

Upon further inspection with an audio CD, I found that it will play continuously without a problem. I can adjust pitch and surround sound, but if I try to skip to the next track, or go to a previous one, the system crashes to that black screen again. :damn:

I would like to see an answer to this as well, I've had this happen only once, and it sucked cause i was playing Resident Evil and on the way to a typewritter and it went out.

what model Saturn do you have, you can tell by the Power and Reset buttons.

Either Oval or Round buttons.

Going by the fact that uf_nihongo84 mentioned that the access light flashes, I'd say that it's an oval button/model 1 Saturn.

Yes, it is an oval button Saturn. Model 1, apparently. I think I'm going to just break down and buy another one, as I'm completely lost regarding this problem. I'm trying to, probably in vain, get at least a partial refund on the Saturn, but I don't see it happening... Meh, it was still a good price for the controllers, adpaters, and games, I guess (although only two of the games hold any interest for me). I'm going to keep this Saturn around and, if we can figure something out about it, I might still have a use for it, so I'm not giving up on it, yet!

Thanks for the concern,

Theodore

Maybe the ribbon cable is loose or something?

Possibly someone bought that saturn hoping to mod it and when they found out it couldnt be done (practically done that is) they just slapped it back together and sold it for a good price to get rid of it?

Back