FCC okays use of F-word on TV!!!

"fuck" is a cool word. once i said "fuck" to my busdriver in 3rd grade, and he made me sit up in the front for the rest of the year.

Originally posted by muffinman943@Mar 20, 2004 @ 08:17 AM

"fuck" is a cool word. once i said "fuck" to my busdriver in 3rd grade, and he made me sit up in the front for the rest of the year.

How is that good? All the cool kids ride in the back.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Mar 20, 2004 @ 05:40 AM

Psh, children. Children are the future? I'M THE FUTURE!

Yes, that's true, but personally I believe teaching children at an early age not to swear develops character. If they have to hear grown-ups swearing on public channels, then they are going to repeat what was said...........

oh well

haha, antime that's great.

Gallstaff, u bring an interesting thought into my head...would they censor the word ###### if a white person said it? they dont wqhen black ppl say it, but I dunno what they do w/ da krakars say it. Anyone have any insight?

Where in that document did it say that you can say the fuck-word on American TV now? It seemed to me that they were just saying that no action would be taken against the Golden Globes for not bleeping out Bono's f-bomb.

The article explained how the FCC reversed its previous policy and that you now can't say "fuck" on TV. From FCC's press release:
The Federal Communications Commission today issued an Order concluding that the live broadcast of the phrase “[fucking] brilliant,” spoken by Bono of U2 during the 2003 Golden Globe Awards, violated the statutory prohibitions on indecency and profanity.

(...)

Finally, the Commission emphasized that all broadcast licensees are on clear notice that similar broadcasts in the future will lead to forfeitures and potential license revocation, if appropriate.

Initally, the FCC ruled that using fuck as an adjective, like Bono's "...fucking briliant" was ok. Using the word as a verb was obscene. They later reveresed that ruling.

But then they decided to give him a slap on the wrist, after deciding that using the word in a non-sexual context as he did is somehow less obscene than using it in a sexual context.

Back