First new system purchase

why? it was primarily purchsed for its games

how many people actualy controled thier whole house with it (like in the comercials)

ive seen it listed as a videogame system or at least given a honorable mention (because it was more than just a game system) as one on so called official lists

i think of it as a sort of videogame system

p.s. everyone that i knew then and now - that owned one, only had games for it

People used them for many things, and still do. For example, until a couple of years ago, the display at the nearby subway station what showed bus departure times was controlled by a C64 (as everyone could see when one day the computer had reset itself and came up showing the default startup screen).

At my dad's workplace they used it as a datalogger for an oscilloscope and he used our machine for scientific computing (this was around 1984-1985). People have used them to write books and run businesses. You obviously haven't seen any of the more serious Commodore mags (eg. 64'er or Compute's Gazette), there were some really heavy projects in them.

Anyway, if a machine is primarily designed to run video games, it can be called a video game system. The C64 wasn't.

i didnt say it was designed for video games and i know it was used for other things -- but the consensus that i find is that it should be considerd one

when i had mine i didn't have a disk drive so i only had a few games on cartrage and played more when my cousin brought over his drive -- so not haveing any games, i mostly just wrote basic programs out from the books to see what they do

more recently i tried to use it to contol a robot which i stoped because i got sick of the wires and switched to a PIC chip

i know it was used for more things and im sure the others do to

but i like to include it becuse i used to marvel at how it kicked atari's, coleco's etc. ass

i gues there are many more people that consider it like a game system too

it was such a fun peice of hardware

i still use it

i'm not trying to step on your toes

yea like a security system

part of thier marketing was like that they showed a family going to bed and the comodore would shut off all the lights and stuff i dont remember any more of it

You never had to suffer with a tape drive? Tsk, you've had an easy life.

Anyway, those house control projects were very popular for a while, and there were even commercial products for most home computers of the time.

i got a tape drive and 200 tapes to try out a few months ago

ive always wanted one - and when i got it my monitor died. so ive been procrastinating getting a new one or a over priced 13inch tv to replace it so i havent experienced yet

you have renewed my drive to try it out

i have tried a tape drive on a TRS-80 (in 1988) but it was taking so long i thought that it didnt work. i shut it off and went back to typing basic

Intellivision or Colecovision.

I forget which.

I was very young when these systems came into my home because they were purchased for my 2 brothers and I.

Well my dads tv had pong built in .

Then he got a atari 2600 or somthing from Sears when they got married . This was the very very early 80's like 80 or somthing .

Then a few years later they got a c-64 , I kinda consider it a video game system antime because you could put it on your tv and plug a cartridge and a atari joystick into it .

I got my self a nintendo maybe in 85-86 but my parents wouldnt let me use it , so I took it back .

Finally my aunt and uncle bought me a new Genesis for my birthday in like 89 .

The first system I ever played on was the Odyessy II. K.C. Munchkin.. Those were the days. Let's see.. Next would be a Vic 20. Followed by an 8088 Turbo (before the days of x86 architecture). Then a Mac classic (which was used mostly for games and typing papers). The first system I ever owned myself was a Gameboy. I bought a Genesis 3 the very tail-end of '98. Later I bought a Saturn and a Dreamcast. In the end, I've played a lot more systems then I've owned, both strictly for gaming and the gaming/computer machines. My brother is the one who owns a lot more classics. But I still dig out the Vic 20 on occasion and play Moon Patrol. SO much better than the Atari 2600 version.
love.gif

i bought myself a saturn a back in 96 and it was a hard pick cuz i saw psx and saturn and the guy at the counter was like take the saturn its a better machine. and ever since i have agreed with him i played vf2 and stumbled across the cheat menu in it so i could kick ass using dural those were the days and dural vs dural is the bomb two slow ass heavy hitting metal ppl in water
love.gif
i think i'm gonna cry cuz my mom sold my model 2 saturn for a 100 bucks a year later
sad.gif
with my 10 or so games.

damm my first brought system eh? that would be the SMS..i remember the hours i used to spend playing wonderboy 3 and Alex Kidd...ahhh they were the days!

Originally posted by falstaff@Aug. 10 2002, 11:28 pm

I see a lot of people mention the c64. Didn't anyone use the c128?

I bought a 128D in '97 or so. Never used it much, though. A 128DCR (identified by the metal casing) would we nice, as it has 64K of video memory instead of the regular 16K.

My first was a Sega Master System 2 and i loved it. It got plenty of use a lot more so than the playstation and dreamcast that followed although i used the Dreamcast a lot more than the psx to.

The SMS 2 is still good to get out when theres nothin to do for cheap entertainment
smile.gif

Back