Gameboy SP or GP32

I have an opportunity to get a gp32 for $125 (includes shipping and usb cable)

But

I could also get a gameboy SP for the same price or lower.

Which is better?

The SP has a back light and cool folding feature; however, the GP32 has lots of free programs on the net (I think?). Both seem cool for different reasons. The gp is now extinct making it either more cool or soon-to-be-forgotten like the game.com

the gameboy has the built in rechargeable, but gameboy games are much more expensive. . .

HELP! :huh:

If you want to play around with emulators, get the GP32. If you want to play Gameboy games without hassle, get the GBA SP.

As antime said. Though the price you quoted for the GP32 is probably for the earlier model (non-backlit). The backlit model is sweet but more expensive. If it was me looking to buy a handheld I would go for the GP32 as I can't get enough of the oldies :)

Zophar's Domain has a list of emulators for the GP32, but I have no idea about how exhaustive or up-to-date it is. Try finding some GP32-oriented site, it'll probably tell you everything you want to know about the machine.

I love my GBA too, but I'd love to get a GP32 also.

If you want games in full English, go with the GBA.

If you don't mind playing Korean games, and not understanding some dialogue, get the GP32, there's some great games out there for it.

EDIT:

Crap, I wish they released Boktai before the fall weather came around, there's hardly any sunlight here, it's rainy all day. :(

Originally posted by ratfish@Oct 21, 2003 @ 06:53 AM

Crap, I wish they released Boktai before the fall weather came around, there's hardly any sunlight here, it's rainy all day. :(

Try living in England mate, if Konami releases it here you can't say they don't have a sense of humour.

The Edge review said the game wanted daylight, not sunshine. Unfortunately, we're rapidly running out of daylight here!

Originally posted by jeff-20@Oct 20, 2003 @ 06:48 PM

Is the price worth a system without a backlight? Or should I just spend the extra money on the light?

Well, lol if you can afford an extra $60 :huh: If you buy a GP32, you have matched and beaten the hardware specs of the GBA. Everything about the GP32 is better than the GBA apart from these 2 things:

1.) Most importantly ---> Lacks Commercial Games! This system has about a dozen. That's all. A Handfull of action games, a few shooters, and a couple of puzzles, sims, RPGs. They're expensive too.

2.) And again ---> Expensive. Backlit gba's you can buy from lik-sang, though are $60 more than the non-backlit model. Oh yeah, did I mention you can get front-lit ones? I only just found out when searching for gp32 on ebay. Don't know much about them though.

I remember a great review I read on the gp32, back when I first looked into buying one. And guess what? I found it. Great review indeed :) The only cons he mentions is the joystick pokes out a bit (you can see how much by his excellent pics), but he did sense it was sturdy. And the other con he mentioned was that it wasn't back-lit. But of course his GP32 wasn't the back-lit model.

So in answer to your question ---> Spend the money on the light...IF, you have the money, and/or play indoors often. :)

Amusing thought: Alaskan Winters would suck if you wanted to play Boktai...

FYI, Alaskans experience a three month long night, effectively - no sun whatsoever for three entire months.

But likewise, there's a three month day in the Summer... XD

I already have a gba, but I'm considering getting one of those tapwave zodiac's when they come out, cause it's about time for a new pda.

What is all this talk about daylight? I don't know what game you are talking about. Please explain because it sounds interesting.

Originally posted by jeff-20@Oct 22, 2003 @ 02:16 AM

What is all this talk about daylight? I don't know what game you are talking about. Please explain because it sounds interesting.

this GBA game can tell if it's daylight or not.

and when you're in daylight, your powers are different.

How can it tell I've never seen some sort of IR port on the gba or anything like that that would be able to detect if it were daylight or not.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Oct 21, 2003 @ 05:07 AM

How can it tell I've never seen some sort of IR port on the gba or anything like that that would be able to detect if it were daylight or not.

The technology will be found in the cartridge, not the system itself. And room light isn't going to work, only actual daylight according to the creator... think of the horror of gamers actually having to go outside :D

I wonder how many kids will get hit by cars trying to get in the right position to power up better :lol:

---Ammut

Back