Games the Should have and Could have been made

Let's make a list of games that not only should have been made but actually could have... so why the hell were they not made?

I'll start with

Baku Baku for Genesis-

There's a version for SMS in europe and of course, there's a Saturn version. Why would they make it for the master system and not the mega drive? The SNES had Tetris Attack and Bust a Move. Puzzle games were extremely popular. It is a great game and not very complicated programming-wise.

Ecco for Saturn-

They made a lot of money off the Genesis and CD versions. Enough to bring out a dreamcast version. So why skip the Saturn? Was the life span too short for the development team to get a start on it? I'd feel better if some evidence of a prototype or work in progress plan existed.

Any additions to this list?

ok. I guess I feel a little better. Thanks antime.

But I still want to gripe. So I will add some hardware to the list:

Game Gear Convertor for Genesis-

The gameboy to SNES cart made it big. As did the SMS to Game Gear and the SMS to Genesis. It seems like a great way to keep both products alive. The timing was right, so why didn't they try it? It seems like the technology was there, and it would have been a good business move to keep up with Nintendo.

Streets of Rage (Saturn) - Well, of course.

Streets of Rage (Dreamcast) - If a plan was in the works...

Sonic (Saturn) - I know there's Sonic on the Saturn, but I mean a decent sonic, not the boring platformer we got instead

Shining Force 3 Translated (Saturn/Dreamcast)

Shining Force XX (Dreamcast)

Sega Super GT (Saturn/Dreamcast) - outstanding arcade game

Shinobi (Dreamcast) - I mean, seriously. This is a franchise that should have been one of the first release titles on the DC.

Burning Rangers 2 (Dreamcast) - BR pushed the Saturn's hardware (it's full 3D, and looks pretty damned good too), logically an innovative game like this should have been pursued...

Nights (Dreamcast) - at least it should have been ported. It would've looked really good on the DC, done right...

Guardian Heroes 2 (Dreamcast) - man, what a game. It would have been fantabulous if another game in the same vein came out.

Panzer Dragoon (Dreamcast) - it looks good on the Xbox, but it should've been another title that was developed on the DC.

Need for Speed X (Dreamcast) - PS/2 got the TNFS franchise... DC got... Test Drive. The lack of this franchise hurt the DC in the racer department, as did the lack of a Gran Turismo type game (MSR was good, but not that good).

WWF/Wrestling game - Royal Rumble is/was a good party game, but has no depth whatsoever. Wrestlemania 2000 / Smackdown blew it out the water. Sadly, THQ made this one too. Fire Pro Wrestling D is great, for those who know Japanese...

Final Fight, in the same vein as the originals, not Revenge.

That's my list. Give enough time, I'm sure a really long list could be generated.

I second the argument for a 2D saturn version of Sonic, but I understand the push for 3D was strong at the time. Maybe a 2.5 D game would have been feasible. Or a scale/zoom game like Guardian Heroes for Sonic could have satisfied the need to show off new technology but still give us a sonic.

I think they were so determined to give us a 3D sonic that they made us suffer through Sonic R and that demo in th Sonic collection. I cared for neither!

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Mar 4, 2003 @ 03:11 PM

Sega Super GT (Saturn/Dreamcast) - outstanding arcade game

Is that not the same game as Super GT 24H that did come out on Saturn in Japan?

I agree with most all the suggestions here, but I'd have to add the Sakura Taisen games in English. Aside from the fact that they could really get the Western world into a whole new genre of games, I'm sick of printing out 200-page translations so I can play them
sad.gif

Originally posted by Myname@Mar 3, 2003 @ 03:23 PM

Is that not the same game as Super GT 24H that did come out on Saturn in Japan?

The game you're thinking of is by Jaleco, which is simply GT 24. Sega Super GT has four cars (Viper, McLaren F1, Porsche, and a Corvette (not sure of that last one)) , and four tracks. GT 24 is like Le Mans 24 for the Dreamcast. The latter is more of a pure racer where Super GT is more like Cruisin USA (but better).

Propeller Arena for Dreamcast...oh wait it was made, just not released <_<

Total :bs

But yea, I think another 2d sonic would be great, Saturn would have been a great console for that but dreamcast would also have been nice.

Dreamcast titles that should have been but weren't:

Nights II (duh)

panzer dragoon (would've been nice)

Shinobi
ph34r.gif
(fresh gameplay + another Sega classic)

Virtua fighter 4 (VF3 was a joke compared to Soul Calibur)

Outrun (sure Dc had tons of great racers...but no real classics)

streets of Rage (c'mon, beat'em ups rule
smile.gif
)

Sonic GD (hehe, me clever) or even... a 2nd sonic game where you get to play as sonic
blink.gif

Kolbri 2! (lol....good ol hummingbird FPS')

Another Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle game (who's with me?)

Death Tank X (Online Death tank!!!should've been included with browser disk)

Games I would've loved to see on Saturn:

Shenmue (just to see what they could pull off)

Rez (heh, that would rule)

Super Puzzle fighter 3 (I loved the other ones
blush.gif
)

Sonic Xtreme (Would've been interesting)

---Ammut

Rez on the Saturn, what an idea
smile.gif
It could definitely have pulled off the music part of the game. The wireframe graphics might not have looked as clean though - unless the Saturn was able to pull them off at 30fps in 640x480 instead of 320x240? Who knows. Digital Dance Mix comes to mind with its breathtaking, Dreamcast-approaching 60fps graphics.
smile.gif

We may never see a Nights 2, but I do have confidence that eventually, when Saturn emus finally are mature (and the PCs they run on fast enough), we'll see a great-looking high-resolution Nights. Reason being that Satourne apparently is already capable of rendering 3D graphics at much higher resolutions than the actual Saturn. I've seen 1280x1024 screenshots of Daytona USA and Radiant Silvergun, and they're jaw-dropping! :cheers

but I do have confidence that eventually, when Saturn emus finally are mature (and the PCs they run on fast enough)

well satourne runs 30-ish FPS on a 2-3 GHz PC....is it not just the programing of the emu that needs sorting?....or do we all have to wait till 10+ GHz pc's go on sale?!?
biggrin.gif

Gaz: well, I keep hearing the emu only makes 5, maybe 10 fps - compatibility isn't too great yet, and at least with Satourne, some components simply aren't implemented yet, such as SOUND. There's a lot to do. Come to think of it, if Satourne becomes freeware I'll be amazed, but I would definitely pay for a registered product.

Yes, we just may have to wait for 10GHz PCs - not so much because we need them, but because they'll be the new top-of-the-line thing, pushing today's highend machines into the common mid-range. And that's what most people are going to have... On a whim I would say that most ppl have machines around 1 to 1.5GHz and they'd want to run Satourne too, but can't.

mine would be 2002 mhz i have the cooling and everything in place or atleast 1800 but no i have to have a fag of a gigabyte board that won't let me tinker with the damned cpu core voltage, i think the jumpers are there but i have to "modify" the mobo cuz they made it real jumperless they just have the solder points on the pcb. But i would pay for satourne too, got to support those good projects out there.

Speaking of Satourne...

Hello everybody,

a short new to tell you that satourne is alive. I've rewritten satourne from scratch to give it a new architecture based on plugins. Each console component is now encapsulated in a plugin. Plugins can be written for the following components: SH2, SMPC, SCU, SCSP, CD block, VDP (encapsulate VDP1 and VDP2). The plugin specifications are quite stable and I'll be happy to send them to motivated people (and very happy to receive feedback). Expect a new version by the end of March, I'll do my best to reach this objective.

So I you're interested in developping plugins for satourne, don't hesitate to contact me!

Fabien has decided to open up the project (via plugins) to encourage faster development.
smile.gif

Originally posted by mal@Mar 7, 2003 @ 12:41 PM

Speaking of Satourne...

Hello everybody,

a short new to tell you that satourne is alive. I've rewritten satourne from scratch to give it a new architecture based on plugins. Each console component is now encapsulated in a plugin. Plugins can be written for the following components: SH2, SMPC, SCU, SCSP, CD block, VDP (encapsulate VDP1 and VDP2). The plugin specifications are quite stable and I'll be happy to send them to motivated people (and very happy to receive feedback). Expect a new version by the end of March, I'll do my best to reach this objective.

So I you're interested in developping plugins for satourne, don't hesitate to contact me!

Fabien has decided to open up the project (via plugins) to encourage faster development.
smile.gif

sweet -- just like epsxe?

man if Satourne could just run like epsxe, that would be increadible
biggrin.gif

Back