• Rise from your gwave!

geforce4 mx440 or geforce3 ti200

Discussion in 'General' started by Gear, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Gear

Gear New Member

I was looking for a new cheap video card ( < US$150 ), and these two came to be my last options.

In the large internet misinformation of "hardcore gamers" I can't decide wich one to buy, so please lend me a hand here.

(Edited by Gear at 2:55 am on April 2, 2002)

2. Smmify

Smmify New Member

Hi:

I would personally stay away from the MXs. They are very cheap, but I think they have much lowered memory speed.

I would either get a Geforce 3 or an ATI RADEON™ 8500 128MB(that's the one I have, and it flys). You should be able to find the ATI's $150 or under.

~Smmify

3. soup or man

soup or man New Member

the MX series of GeForce cards are utter crap, stay away at all costs.

4. Curtis

Curtis Member

But then Q3 at 90 or 230 FPS...isn't just getting alittle ridiculous?

There is no point in spending a lot of money on a video card if you don't have the processor to back it up - it'll just be wasted potential.

5. IceDigger

IceDigger Founder Staff Member

Radeon 8500 will give you better image quality with better framerates in most games.

6. Ratamahatta

Ratamahatta Member

I agree, my dads radeon completely eats my geforce card, better effects, better framerates and a lot chaper than geforce cards. go for radeon, preferably by ati.

7. antime

antime Extra Hard Mid Boss

Of the two cards you asked about, I'd go with the GeForce3, since the GF4MX is basically a slightly boosted GF2. While not many games use the vertex shaders yet, when they do you'll be left out in the cold with the GF4MX.

8. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 New Member

geforce 2 mx 400 is the base for the mx440 all they did was add a stripped down version of lightspeed architecture.

9. ExCyber

ExCyber Staff Member

I like my Radeon 8500, aside from some driver issues that apparently turned out to be due to a nasty Win98 bug...

10. Fabrizo

Fabrizo New Member

Stick with the Geforce 3, or get a Radeon like everyone else here is saying. If you want a Geforce 4 get one of the Ti cards.

11. Cynnamin

Cynnamin New Member

GeForce4 < $150 ?

ROFL

12. soup or man

soup or man New Member

13. Gear

Gear New Member

Alright, I will stay away of the geforce4 mx and look for a geforce3 ti or radeon 8500. Thanks a lot for your help :)