Gen roms on SCD

Ratamahatta

Established Member
Actually if you think about it there should be a way to play genesis roms on your sega cd, after all in essence thast all the sega 5 in 1 cd is. If ther ewas a way to dissect it you could probably load other images onto the cd. For instance change sor, with sor2 etc etc etc.

goddammit.

NO.

it is not possible no fucking way it can't be done dammit.

the classic 5-in-1 does NOT contain any game roms.

the games were rewritten for segacd. no small patch or hack, REWRITTEN.

segacd has 512 kb of ram. into those, you have to fit the game rom. and once you did that, the system crashes cause the genesis' memory map is completely changed when the segacd is active, and NOT capable of running genesis roms/carts anymore.

I think Arakon blows the problems out of proportion a bit, but his conclusions are solid - the only way to run Genesis games on SCD is to spend a large amount of effort patching the code for EACH GAME to run from SCD RAM. Genesis games are generally not coded to be easily relocatable; it's not simply a matter of changing one or two variables, you'd have to go through the ROM and alter EVERY instruction that references ROM (except for PC-relative references). It might be possible to write tools to accelerate the process, but it's still not going to happen without a lot of programmer effort, and the rewards are just too small for most people to want to try it - if you want to play Genesis games without the cartridge, the emulators are generally good enough to get the job done.

It was just an idea that popped into my head, didnt have to totally freak out on me man! =) heheheh. I just figured I'd mention it considering I was playing around with the segacd and after streets of rage loaded, i pooed out the disc and played the entire game like the cart version.

I've heard this question about 400 times by now on various boards, I'm simply sick of it.

besides, even if someone managed to write a tool for this, the limit would be games of 400-450 kb, which isn't exactly much.

Quote: from Ratamahatta on 4:20 am on Jan. 12, 2002

It was just an idea that popped into my head, didnt have to totally freak out on me man! =) heheheh. I just figured I'd mention it considering I was playing around with the segacd and after streets of rage loaded, i pooed out the discand played the entire game like the cart version.

Gross dude ;)

Back