Getting a new laptop

Scared0o0Rabbit

Established Member
So... I'm going to be buying a new laptop soon, want to replace this dinosaur I have right now. This thing needs to be powerful enough to handle a majority of what's out right now, in particular Unreal Tournament 2003 (though not necessarily with the graphics turned all the way up). Right now it looks like the 2 contenders are dell and alienware. Those 2 seem to be the only 2 that let you put a decent video card in the system. Here's what I'm looking to be in there:

-atleast 15" SXGA screen

-atleast 2.4 Ghz pentium (or equivalent amd)

-512MB DDR ram

-I want atleast a 64MB graphics card in there, and the more powerful the better

-I want a fast hard drive, like a 5400 or even a 7200... (size isn't all that important)

-combination dvd-rom/cd-rw (speed isn't all that important)

-an 802.11b wireless NIC (though that's not completely required, just something I would like)

-onboard 10/100 NIC

Anyone have any suggestions between the 2? Dell's price is better... but at the same time the alienware rig is A LOT more powerful for only a couple hundred more.

edit: or even suggestion of another brand that can compare in both power and price?

I'm a big laptop person

If you want it to last a while, get IBM or Apple -- mostly IBM

I'd shy away from Dell or Compaq among most others.

We get Dells at work -- they break all the time.

IBM support is completely awesome. If something does go wrong and it's under warrenty they will airborne express it to and from and thoroughly test EVERYTHING. I had a problem and when they tested it afterwards they saw that my battery didn't have enough juice to make it through a complete booting without being plugged in so they gave me a brand new battery.

Make sure you get as long as a warrenty as you can afford for laptops if you plan on using/traveling a lot with it.

2 Thinkpad right now. One is mega old and still runs great. It's a real tank.

Thinkpad still are too. They have the best keyboards also

Well I can't stand my dad's thinkpad, and they don't have anything nearly high performance enough for what I'm going for, which is one of the reasons I"ve ruled them out. Toshiba is out cause of video card, gateway for the same reason, as well as hp/compaq. To get a laptop with a decent video card in it from compaq, you need to get one of their laptops that starts at $4000.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Jul 20, 2003 @ 07:23 AM

Well I can't stand my dad's thinkpad, and they don't have anything nearly high performance enough for what I'm going for, which is one of the reasons I"ve ruled them out. Toshiba is out cause of video card, gateway for the same reason, as well as hp/compaq. To get a laptop with a decent video card in it from compaq, you need to get one of their laptops that starts at $4000.

The I would recommend Alienware or just wait for Thinkpads to meet you specs
smile.gif

The two Dell laptops I had were both fantastic, but their telephone support was abysmal (the one time they did break it was my fault, or my cat's actually
wink.gif
) if you take that sort of thing into account. I normally wouldn't, but after being passed from person to person for hours to be 'accidentally' hung-up on I wished I did.

The only thing I could fault them for is that they weighed an absolute tonne, so they might be out of the question if you're gonna be taking it everywhere. They do lighter ones, but obviously they're not as powerful.

I didn't know Alienware did laptops actually, I might have a look.. And dream

Portability. I also want this laptop to be useful for me for quite some time, I'm not planning on having to upgrade to a new one for a long time (and I know I won't be able to play new stuff, but still). Maybe if laptops were upgradable like a desktop it wouldn't be a problem, but that's not the case.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Jul 20, 2003 @ 07:36 PM

Portability. I also want this laptop to be useful for me for quite some time, I'm not planning on having to upgrade to a new one for a long time (and I know I won't be able to play new stuff, but still). Maybe if laptops were upgradable like a desktop it wouldn't be a problem, but that's not the case.

what about those cube cases? w/ handles even

or you could get a nicer desktop AND an older laptop

I already have a nice desktop, however I spend a large portion of my time out of the house, and a desktop just isn't feasible for traveling, especially one with as much stuff in it as mine.

I'm looking through a Tiger Direct catalog right now that has a very nice laptop for the low low price (I wish) of $1999. The manufacturer is P3 Direct (not particularly a household brand, but... Sometimes brand name does not equal quality). Here is what it comes with:

P4 2.4 GHz

512MB DDR (speed not said)

60GB hard drive (speed not said)

DVD-RW drive

16.1" TFT UXGA display

128MB ATI M9000 AGP video

56k modem

10/100 lan

4 USB ports, firewire, s-video out, etc.

2 card slots

WinXP Home (blah) edition

Don't know how much you're willing to spend, but I imagine this is about the going price for a laptop with these specs. Still.. it kinda makes me want to
drool.gif

k, like i told rabbit: sager, dell, and alienware use the same laptop mobo from the same company. i found out while researching in my dream for a laptop phase. no, i cannot recall the name atm, but if i really had to look, i will.

sager is WAY cheaper yet you can get a setup about as powerful as the alienware for roughly 700+ less. if you want to shell out 700 for a candy coated shell, go for it.

anyone who buys from tiger direct is a tool, or knows next to nothing about computer hardware. sorry, i know it hurts, but hey, at least you won't be ripped off =)

There's more to a laptop than a Mobo

Construction and screens are a big deal

BTW, what's Sager's support like?

Originally posted by racketboy@Jul 21, 2003 @ 03:54 PM

There's more to a laptop than a Mobo

Construction and screens are a big deal

BTW, what's Sager's support like?

solid construction and the same offerings from dell. service i'm not sure as i'm still in the "dream phase" based off two friends that i directed them to, and now love their lappy's say they haven't had any problems. it's been about 9 months for both of them.

btw, have you seen a laptop mobo? they're kinda selective about what can be put in. =)

Back