getting audio player screen when trying swap trick

Ok, I've seen the video, tried it like 50 times, but when it seems like I've swapped properly the Saturn boots to the audio player and stays there. This is following the sega logo.

I have a model 2 and I've tried swapping with virtua racing and world series baseball and two different cdr games (one is wav+iso, the other mp3+iso) and no luck

I used the region application, sega cue maker and nero on 4x to burn

Originally posted by rumble1n@Sun, 2006-07-16 @ 10:03 PM

Ok, I've seen the video, tried it like 50 times, but when it seems like I've swapped properly the Saturn boots to the audio player and stays there. This is following the sega logo.

I have a model 2 and I've tried swapping with virtua racing and world series baseball and two different cdr games (one is wav+iso, the other mp3+iso) and no luck

I used the region application, sega cue maker and nero on 4x to burn

[post=147075]Quoted post[/post]​

Did you disable the CD opening captor with a "scotch" ?

Also you can try your CD on a emu and see if they are recognized as Saturn CD, you can use also Satheader and see if Saturn game info are on the CD.

Originally posted by vbt@Sun, 2006-07-16 @ 03:37 PM

Did you disable the CD opening captor with a "scotch" ?

Also you can try your CD on a emu and see if they are recognized as Saturn CD, you can use also Satheader and see if Saturn game info are on the CD.

[post=147077]Quoted post[/post]​

Yep, I taped it down. That was the little silver thing about an inch high in the left rear area of the console right?

I checked my cdr on an emu just now. It plays fine. I also checked out Satheader and it recognizes my files as a saturn game.

I don't know what's going on, my saturn is working great otherwise. I keep getting frozen screens or the audio player

It sounds like you have a late Model 2 with the picky CD board. There's not much I can say for these except "practice makes perfect". A friend of mine had one of these and I could barely do the swap one time out of five or so; he got to where he could do it every time.

Originally posted by rumble1n@Sun, 2006-07-16 @ 10:58 PM

Yep, I taped it down. That was the little silver thing about an inch high in the left rear area of the console right?

I checked my cdr on an emu just now. It plays fine. I also checked out Satheader and it recognizes my files as a saturn game.

I don't know what's going on, my saturn is working great otherwise. I keep getting frozen screens or the audio player

[post=147079]Quoted post[/post]​

well do some tests :

Put the CD and don't swap, normally you should hear that the CD player is looking for the ring and so it takes time for the Saturn to refuse the CD and it's finally taken as an audio CD

How do you swap , Normally you do like this :

- Put the Backup

- wait and hear that the Cd player speed change for readinf the ring

- Exchange the backup with a Saturn CD (Demo Cd for instance)

- Wait for Cd player start to increase its speed

- Put back the backup CD

:)

Two notes:

- Generally speaking, it's the second swap that's tricky, not the first one. The first one can technically be done any time after the initial TOC read, which is usually a window of at least 2 seconds (the fewer tracks there are on the CD, the more time you have). The second one must be done between the end of reading the security ring and the beginning of loading the game, which is something like half a second.

- When swapping, it may help to give the CD a little "push" to get it started rotating rather than waiting for the spindle motor to start it up.

I've been doing the swap the same as the demonstration video I saw... I do it by ear mainly. I also tried the trick where you start the cdr, wait for it to stop, swap for original then reset and swap again... I just don't get it!

I attached a pic. When it feels like everything was perfect, this is the screen I get....

Attachments

• Saturn_HSOD.jpg
    Saturn_HSOD.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 110
  • Saturn_HSOD.jpg
    Saturn_HSOD.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
Originally posted by ExCyber@Mon, 2006-07-17 @ 04:48 AM

Do you at least get the "Produced by or under license from Sega Enterprises" screen before that?

[post=147091]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes

Have you tried this with different iso/games? It sounds like you may be succeeding with a bad backup.

I think you may be doing the second swap too late. Especially on the pickier Saturns, it's important that you pull the original out as soon as you can, i.e. as soon as the pickup starts moving back toward the center.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Tue, 2006-07-18 @ 11:16 AM

I think you may be doing the second swap too late. Especially on the pickier Saturns, it's important that you pull the original out as soon as you can, i.e. as soon as the pickup starts moving back toward the center.

[post=147119]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes I finally got it! I WAS doing the second swap too late. Contrary to what I read and saw in the video clip, the second swap has to be IMMEDIATE, not delayed 1/2 to 1/4 secomd. As soon as you hear it, the cdr has to be swapped in about a nanosecond. Not only that, but I have to give the cd a quick spin to give it a rolling start. Thanks guys. I wouldn't have figured this out without your advice.

Back