How does one become homeless?

racketboy

Established Member
I don't intend to be mean or anything, I was just trying to figure it out.

I see lots of people around here begging for money and such, but many of them look like they are capable of having a job of some sort. I personally know people that are incredibly handicapped and have jobs.

Am I missing something?

mm most of the homeless people I come in town don't seem retarded.

Now some of the ones in San Francisco are a little looney...

a lot of homeless people are actually insane. They're normal and able to hold jobs and stuff when they take medication, but then they feel alright and don't want to take the medicine anymore, and revert. Another set of homeless people are into drugs and all, enough so that they can't hold a job. Yet a third group is the really bad group, the group who isn't really homeless and just begs for money. Other people are just unlucky. Those that could goto halfway houses and homeless shelters don't want the government keeping track of them. Atleast those are the reason's I hear the most.

so should I not give them money or what?

I only do on occassion, but I'm getting sick of my wallet being empty all the time cause I keep give away cash.

It always stinks too cause I always give some away right before I need it.

I gave some lady a small amount when we were out shopping. Then on the way home we forgot we needed to pay a toll. Neither of us had any cash because I gave it all to that lady. It was real embarassing. Just FYI, they take down you plate # and you have to mail in your toll.

I do agree with this question. Where we live in a country as rich as it is, where there is ways to help each other out. But many don't take an offering hand, or don't want to be bothered. Others just don't know how to handle money very well. Yes some do have a string of bad luck, but others are just plain LAZY.

I have a few friends who claim they are homeless, they try to get you to have pity for them, having a means of getting a job, but not taking the opportunity, well you tell me. When someone knocks on your door to help a brother out, when i can hand them an application, and they tear it to shreads, well that bothers me.

i do work, am disabled, and this excuse of being homeless just doesn't work for me. just my opinion.

Around the Philadelphia area most of the homeless are the crazy people who were let out of the old mental hospital off of route 1 when it closed down.

Not all disabled can work, I for instance was highly encouraged not to work and when I tried anyway, it didn't turn out very well. But I have some rather unusual set of problems (combined problems that is). I'm not homeless, but if it weren't for the government and my wife I just might be.

I thought most homeless people were homeless not because they can't work, but because its far easier just to give up and beg for money.

its not hard to make money in this country, if they are homeless they are just to lazy to work, screw them

Fuck off jurai, like I said, not all people are too lazy to work, what if said person has a very bad case of Schizophrenia w/ Psycosis and their meds dont work? (as it doesnt for all people). How would that person hold a job may I ask?

And even those that do take the meds, many of them feel like they don't need the meds anymore cause they feel better and stop taking them and revert.

Here in Canada all people in need are taken care of. However there is a large amount of beggers, who after a day of begging use their pretty decent cars to drive to their pretty decent homes. They have mortgares, credit cards, barbeques, children, wifes, TVs, humidifiers etc. It looks like being a begger is damn profitable. I'm working my ass off, and in my country we have progressive taxation, so after all I think I make less money then one of those beggers, because they don't pay any taxes, no sir. More then that, suckers apply to all kinds of social assistance, which comes directly from my pocket.

If you try to offer to one of those folks job, they tell you to go f**k off, cuz they are busy working already. And making good profits. After finding out all this I never give any money. If some poor chap looks really dirty and hungry, I go buy the whole freakin' BK or McDonalds meal, but never give the money.

My two cents...

I didnt mean to say all beggers cant work, I'm just saying there are people out there that can't work, and may be down far enough where they have no home. If no one was helping me I would probably be one of them.

Originally posted by dibz@Nov 25, 2003 @ 10:06 PM

I didnt mean to say all beggers cant work, I'm just saying there are people out there that can't work, and may be down far enough where they have no home. If no one was helping me I would probably be one of them.

At least in my town and surrounding area (which isn't a big city with all the crazy people) about 95% of the "homeless" people don't look that bad. A large amount have signs saying they are veterens or something. Veterens of what, they don't say

Mental illness is probably a big part of it. Our society still largely treats mental illness as a character flaw rather than a medical problem, and treatment of mental illness often involves a long-term commitment to taking a combination of expensive drugs, making it harder to get by on a minimum wage that's been lagging behind inflation for decades.

In regards to beggars (not the homeless) your missing the obvious: people just like free money.

This happens a lot in NY, especially in the subways and such. An RA in my dorm begged for money in the subway and actually got some and had people feeling sorry for him. One time my friend gave money to a beggar, and later on he saw that same guy buying a brand new pair of sneakers. I think it has more to do with self-respect.

I personally dont really give money away to anyone. I mean yes there are those who have special needs but those people probably arent the ones out on the streets begging for money. The people with serious and valid health issues can most oftenly find help with some sort of agency or goverment organization.

While i aknoledge the fact that not all people who are truely in need can get help, I rather not take the chance of getting ripped off by someone whos faking or being lazy and let those very few fall through the cracks.

Charity is great so long as it benefits those who truely are deserving.

Back