How to mod a 21 pin Saturn

there are a few points, here is a pic of the bottom right of the sanyo cd board with the pc trap board still attached. the two pins with the red circle over them didn't work. the cd spun but got a few errors 'disc unsuitable for this system'. i tested the 7th pin for the dark blue mod board and it worked just fine. i suggest you tape it and not solder because it's a very very tight squeeze.

Solder to that? Do-able but nasty.

When I get home I'll have a look see if there's somewhere else that's connected to solder to.

I'm following some weird train of thought here, but if you could correct me...

Point A is being fed a clock signal, right? I've tried rereading the thread, but it's late and I miss things easily when I'm fully alert. :p What frequency is it looking for?

i can't thank you enough! :cheers

just in case anyone wants to try the mod themselves, you need to have 0019 bridged.

i can't actually. i killed the jpn saturn :) my heart has a heavy feeling as i'm typing this post. <_< the other mod board i had (white female connection) didn't work. just keep trying until you get what you are looking for. try all bridges (0014,0019) and you'll be fine. i strongly suggest you not solder onto the 7th pin unless you are very very good with one. you can guess what happened.

Without looking through all the thread,

can you please point me to a shop where

I can order 10+ chips at the moment?

Thanks

Sebastian

Hello. I am a litle confused with how to get the sanyo board sega saturn working. My mod board is the dark blue one from JandaMan. I've attempted the A+B sodder and everything on the thing is done right, and by that i mean the red wires hooked into the correct power block thing (noobish) and i cut off a part of the metal shielding so it'll fit in the slot. I also attempted a 0004 bridge and a 0009 bridge. everything is soddered cleanly. While regular games work fine, the dreaded green cubes appear on "backups" (nudge nudge) It seems almost as if it's just passing through the thing. I saw that tape to the 7th pin thing, and i dont really understand what you mean and where it is. So could someone be so kind to clear this up for me? I'm sure others have the same trouble. (note I HAVE looked through this entire thread, and nothing has worked) Thank you!

Oh uh...never mind. I was messing around with it, and I'm pretty sure the chip is cooked, I pushed the power cable into the main power cable, there was a explosion basically, and i'm 98.3 percent sure it's unfixable, but I'm gonna attempt later. Oh well. How bad could swap tricks be? :damn:

did you not read my post on how to get saturns with the sanyo cd drive to work? why not try that before you give up? (buy another mod board since you've fried the one you have now) afaik, only one person was able to get his saturn modded with the "a + b" mod. remove the pc trap board and solder onto the 7th pin with the 0019 bridge.

yeah, i always count from left to right starting with one.

flip the cd drive over and find a chip with two traces coming from the chip. it's on the bottom middle. just get the wire that is connected on 'A' on the mod board and tape it or solder it. put the other wire (5+) to the second slot and turn the saturn on. you should be able to play the backups. this is just like modding a 32 pin saturn except where 'A' is located is in a different location.

Originally posted by Piratero@Fri, 2005-03-18 @ 01:33 PM

yeah, i always count from left to right starting with one.

[post=131771]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, it's probably best to use the correct number as the legs are numbered at each corner of the chip and someone might look for the actual 7th pin.

Yeah, I would go and buy another, but the whole sanyo cd board is fried. I was attempting to do the remove pc trap board thing, What happened is that the red cable which was supposed to go in the +5v became loose, and fell out into the wire right next to the power button and then it fried. and now when I tried to just set it up like it was before, two big red spheres on the BIOS screen. The CD drive won't spin and the lens wont move. I took it apart again and inspected the underside of the sanyo board, one chip looks slightly burnt. I'm not exactly sure if its that chip or I'm jut doing something incorrectly while hooking it up. So to my dismay, I have to use the poor Saturn emulators, which don't work exactly as well or as fast as a real one. I suck. Thanks anyway, though.

I just modded my saturn with the sanyo board that did not come with the extra pc track/trap, wired the A to the 71st pin like in the pics and wired the power to the +5V and it works great. :banana

my 2nd modchip from wellknown dealer from this forum was planed to be easy done in a 21pin cable 32pin IC PAL EURO console, but ....

(the other got a odyssey in a 20pin saturn)

got all kinds/variations of read/yellow/good (door closed) green/bad (door open) green blobs/cubes

after H0014 vs. H0019, with A-B direct connect or cable to pin 14 of IC32 no success, mmmh, got 3 consoles of this type, one with a old chip (H0014 selected on this one). I tested the new chip in all 3 saturns. still no success.

but inserting and bending or twisting a little bit the modcip or better hold the flatcable down to metallshield it looks promising. a closer look to the flat cable and cableconnector on modchip explains it only 5-6 pins got contact with cable, coz the tiny metallparts from connector was bend into plastic of the connector and cable couldnt get contact. so I took a tiny needle and free them out (around 0.1-0.3 mm) and yeah I got this baby flawlessly working.

so direct-connect of A-B without cable to pin 14 of IC32 works for this modell:

model no.: MK-80200A-50

serial no.: 169020879

round buttons

CD board: 610-6185-20, ASSY CD UNIT SAT JVC EXL-P605, ENR-013 A, EMW20035-002, 80pin chip, 32pin chip (CDM301V), 36pin chip, 32pin chip

MAIN board: PC BD MAIN VA9, GCMK-C2X, 171-7291C, 169070000 (paper)

ciao

Back