How to mod a 21 pin Saturn

Now this is something: I found out that my MOD chip makes the console behave exactly the same way no matter the +5V cable is connected to power or not. Can this mean the mod chip is dead? :eek:mg:

ok i'm guessing if the game doesn't boot and your cd drive doesn't read the game orginal or non that means that the mod chip is burnt right? i just got mine in from jandaman and it did not work so i'm guessing that i burnt it by touching it right ? can someone please help me with this so i can order another one and not do the same thing? :damn:

You'd have to be pretty unlucky to kill a mod by handling it. When I first did my experiments I was handling the mod a lot and doing a lot of resoldering and it still works to this day. It could be that it's just not properly installed.

Then again, if it's for a Saturn with a 64 pin IC on the CD board, Jandaman's mods are unlikley to work at all.

hmmm, well i have a 21 pin IC and soldered it to the correct pin but the only thing I was unsure about was the power. do you have to get the wire all the way down in the power source or just solder it right to the top? the saturn booted up and everything but the cd drive would just not spin up and it would just hang, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Firstly, there is no 21 pin IC. Do you mean a 32 pin IC?

You can solder to which ever part of the 5v tap you like as long as it makes good contact.

The symptoms you describe could be anything from the mod or the ribbon cable not being inserted properly to the CD drives' power cables not being connected - Have you checked that?

Try re inserting the mod and ribbon cables and make sure that the 5v wire is bonded well to the PSU.

well i give up the system works fine without the mod in there, and i'm guessing the mod is not getting power, so i have one more chip coming and if doens't work i thikn i'll just sell my saturn and wait for a good emu because i am tired of fooling with it. is the power wire suppose to be all the way in to the power supply or can it be to the pin that is sticking straight up? i thank you for all the help that ou have given me thus far and this is driving me insane! i just want to play sengoku blade that i got from a friend of mine.

I just ordered a digital camera so will be able to take pics of my installs.

If your chip isn't working and you've tried everything, email me your order number and I can send another chip for you to try. I have had some customers get replacement chips working when the first order did not work.

I wrap the chips in paper towels which seems to work well unless anyone can explain if that's bad.

The chips come from the manufacturer in very crappy condition so I wouldn't be surprised if a few are duds. I've tried asking the manufacturer to ship them better to no avail yet.

Don't be hesitant in contacting me to try a replacement chip.

i just requested janda my new chip, and im sure hell work it out. but has anybody tried attaching the red wire to the part of the 5v power supply under the motherboard, because it looks tempting.

hey jandaman thanks alot! i got the new chip in today and within 5 mins i was up and running, so i guess it was a bunk chip! but no matter as i am off to play my shiny new sengoku blade and sexy parodious thanks for everything i recommend jandaman highly! :cool: :D :thumbs-up:

Hey darkfalzawakens,

What method did you use... did you connect the wire directly to the IC or did you do the "loop"-connection?

I guess they both work when having a modchip that so called "fully works", but I must ask anyway!

Jandaman, here I come ;)

directly to the ic ! i didn't even try the loop method and it worked perfect ! five mins is all it took give it a go i'm loving all the shooters i get to play now :D :D :D

I got my replacement chip from videogamecompany.com today and I still can't get it working with my 64pin Saturn. With the first chip I got discs to spin up but it went to the CD Player and showed 2 green cubes. Games would very very occasionally boot.

Now I get no disc spin and two yellow spheres in the CD Player regardless of whether I use 0014 or 0019. Has anyone seen this behaviour? It's not in mal's list of different symptoms at the start of the thread.

I don't have a multimeter to test the voltage pin, but it is clearly labelled on the PCB as +5V 2A.

EDIT: Just resoldered everything and tried with and without a twist in the ribbon cable. I notice that the symptoms are the same as if I plug nothing into the motherboard. So I'm concluding that I have a totally dud chip, not one that may not work with 64pin machines. My last hope is a chip I ordered from Jandaman which should be here soon.

Alright, I've read through this message thread and done my best searching around for a couple of hours now trying to figure out how to get my chip to work. I got a "pre-A+B" bridged mod, in the 0014 position. I know the right voltage slot, and I have gotten what mal referred to as the "no solder bridge" effect: Cd spins, loads to 2 green squares, plays cd audio.

Well, my model number is MK-80000A, its a round button, 21 pin cable, 64 pin chip, US saturn. The bridge between the squares making it a "0014" chip seems very solid. I would love not to scratch this off and try to put it on 0019 if I'm not even using an appropriate chip. Unfortunately, I don't know what backwards company I got this chip from, because it was given by a friend.

Anyway, the question of the day is, then: Does anyone know of a chip that necessarily WORKS with a 64 pin saturn? If so, email me at mbooker@kent.edu, or post a reply here. There is just no information anywhere...

Thanks!

Back