how to remove cpl?

Recently my mom had some trouble with her pc, so she gave it to some guy she found in the yellow pages (or maybe it was the classifieds? don't remember) to fix it. He sent her hd to a data recovery service, and I suppose that's good cause I don't know anything about that kind of stuff, but when she got it back after it had been "fixed" and XP had been re-installed (at least a month or two later) there were a number of problems that weren't there before, and that's when she decided to ask me to take a look at it. Now i'm no expert, but it only took me about 3 hours to fix most of the bugs.

One of the things that was wrong was that the guy had installed the wrong drivers for the built-in ac97 sound chip. I uninstalled the drivers and replaced them with the ones I got from the mb manufacturer's website. Although I was able to get the sound working, something must have been left behind because when windows starts it still tries to load the .cpl from the bad drivers and pops up an annoying error message because it can't find it. Anyone have any ideas on what I need to do to fix this one last bug?

How exactly did you 'unistall' the drivers? Did you do it through Device Manager? Did it uninstall without any errors?

First, I used "add/remove progams" from the control panel to uninstall the interface software (settings control for special effects, etc) there were no error messages so I had thought that the uninstall went ok. After that, I went to the device manager and told it to uninstall the drivers. After rebooting, when the new hardware detection wizard came up I cancelled the auto-install and then ran the installer I got from mb's website.

As far as I know, the uninstall removed all the old files, but something in the windows startup is still trying to load the control panel sofware for it, but since it's not there anymore it pops up the error message

Click Start -> Run

Type msconfig

Click the Startup Tab

Find whatever software was trying to be started, and uncheck it.

I've tried that and I suppose I could have missed something, but in the past I've found that not everything that runs on windows start shows up there.

Back