I bought saturn devkit!!!

Well fellas, I did it! I bought the complete devkit from NFGMan:

Sega Saturn Dev Kit, CD Emulator + more

hrdsaturncross3.jpg

I guess I can write my pong now!

Wow! Very nice... :)

I have the same setup minus Mirage unit...

haven't decided whether I will be needing that one and the bugger was heavy... :(

Originally posted by vbt@Thu, 2004-11-25 @ 03:16 PM

Did you get some interresting CDs with that dev kit ?

[post=124491]Quoted post[/post]​

I am supposed to get the software bundle which comes with this hardware, but I don't think it will have anything new on it. As soon as I'll get the package, I'll update everyone.

Originally posted by antime@Thu, 2004-11-25 @ 05:44 PM

The contents of the included CD is downloaded from my site.

[post=124498]Quoted post[/post]​

BTW: thanks a lot for finding, organizing and hosting those files! Very useful stuff!

Hey guys, new to these boards..

What kind of Saturn is that in the dev kit? I have one of these, standalone without the whole setup (I can't really discuss how it was acquired, but it's all legit, just the person I got it from wants it quiet) and I was wondering what it is.

All I know is when I got it I got that Saturn with 2 pads, one of which is a heavily modified Genesis pad.. I'll take pics with my cell phone and post em if you guys want to see what it looks like.. It was used as a dev kit but I just don't have the bottom part(I basically have the Saturn, alone). I also have a region-free adapter..

I've always been wondering what sort of Saturn it was. I know it's a jap Saturn, but I have no clue about what model or what it is. I tried feeding it CDRs and they wouldn't boot, so it's not modded (I used to work with TEST PS2s that played everything we threw at them, including backups and I thought this Saturn would do the same) .

In any case, can any one of you guys help me out with this? I'd really like to mod it to see if I can dev some stuff for it, but without a mod it's rather complicated. :)

timekillr: In regards to the genesis\saturn controller your description doesn't surprise me at all. In fact the early dev documents even mentions a 4 player multitap for genesis controllers to be used on the saturn.

The saturn in CartDev Rev.B is standard M1 grey JPN Saturn modified with country rotary switch as well as VCD port. With VCD you can connect to the Mirage unit in the photo and basically Mirage acts like virtual CD.

The Dev unit itself sits underneath and connected to the console itself by wires...

There is another DevSaturn done by Psy-Q in UK and they use the blue DevCart connected to Saturn with extra SCSI(?) port at the side. I had Psy-Q Saturn but sold a buyer in US. Psy-Q also made another Saturn which was similar to the modified Saturn in CartDev Rev.B setup above from memory...

there's a guy in UK with most of Dev Saturn including Sophia setup and he may answer in more details...

you should be able to catch him (retro) on Assembler forum...

cheers

Here's what I have.. sorry about the poor picture quality, but it's the best I can come up with for now :)

[attachmentid=872]

[attachmentid=873]

That's the Genesis controller, modded to be a Saturn controller. It's not VERY apparent in the picture, but the Mode button is being used as the R button, and a small red pushbutton has been modded into the controller to be used as a L button. It's a standard Genesis pad, except it has a Saturn connection.

[attachmentid=874]

[attachmentid=875]

That's my Saturn. It's not modded to have a VCD port or anything; it's just the barebones console. I took 2 pics; one is the whole console, and the second is the picture of the little port that has been cut out from the front of the console.

I guess I have a Model 1 JP Saturn.. I'll see if I can open it up so I can swap stuff to run on it, since I don't have any of the additional dev stuff. Note that it's directly modified from Sega; the guy I got it from got it directly from them.

Attachments

• 12_01_04_0613.jpg
    12_01_04_0613.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 12_01_04_0614.jpg
    12_01_04_0614.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 12_01_04_0615.jpg
    12_01_04_0615.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 12_01_04_0616.jpg
    12_01_04_0616.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 12_01_04_0613.jpg
    12_01_04_0613.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 12_01_04_0614.jpg
    12_01_04_0614.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 12_01_04_0615.jpg
    12_01_04_0615.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 12_01_04_0616.jpg
    12_01_04_0616.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 12_01_04_0613.jpg
    12_01_04_0613.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 12_01_04_0614.jpg
    12_01_04_0614.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 12_01_04_0615.jpg
    12_01_04_0615.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 12_01_04_0616.jpg
    12_01_04_0616.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 172
The hole in the front could be for the NMI cable, used to let the debugger break into the program at any time. Useful but not essential, the kit should work without it.

Originally posted by antime@Wed, 2004-12-01 @ 08:13 AM

The hole in the front could be for the NMI cable, used to let the debugger break into the program at any time. Useful but not essential, the kit should work without it.

[post=124811]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks, I always wondered what was the point of that port.. It's obvious it can't be used to transfer data, but hey :)

that looks like one of Psy-Q console I sold...

ss_psy-q_02.jpg

The other Psy-Q looks like this - minus blue devcart...

ss_psy-q_01.jpg

In comparison CartDev Rev.B looks different from Psy-Q.

ss_cartdevrevb1.jpg

cheers

Originally posted by dj898@Wed, 2004-12-01 @ 03:26 PM

that looks like one of Psy-Q console I sold...

ss_psy-q_02.jpg

The other Psy-Q looks like this - minus blue devcart...

ss_psy-q_01.jpg

In comparison CartDev Rev.B looks different from Psy-Q.

ss_cartdevrevb1.jpg

cheers

[post=124831]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, exactly like mine.. Except I know where it came from.. It's direct from Sega. The guy who sold it to me told me it had been lying in his closet for a while since he never used it, but it has originally been used to dev experimental stuff at a software company. It hasn't been modded by anyone except some engineers at Sega most likely(that would explain the weird controller). Just kinda sucks I can't mention the exact source since the guy would prolly get in trouble. I'll ask him if I can divulge the information, but I'm glad it's not impressive to any of you guys.. Just means I got a less than standard Saturn.

haven't seen CartDev Rev.B Sarturn console without the country switch nor VCD port... maybe that one was not part of CartDev Rev.B but some other purpose? I know there was address chekcer Dev Saturn... maybe there are many more Dev Saturns than we though...

here's the picture of Saturn Address Checker curtesy of NFG games.

ss_saturnAC4.jpg

Originally posted by dj898@Wed, 2004-12-01 @ 07:07 PM

haven't seen CartDev Rev.B Sarturn console without the country switch nor VCD port... maybe that one was not part of CartDev Rev.B but some other purpose? I know there was address chekcer Dev Saturn... maybe there are many more Dev Saturns than we though...

[post=124843]Quoted post[/post]​

Well I know it was used for internal development at Sega. That I know for sure.

It's also probably one of the earlier models due to the modified Genesis pad; when the guy sold it to me, he told me he bought a separate Saturn pad because he didn't like the one Sega gave him with the console.

WIIW I also have Saturn prototype...

this is even earlier than those Dev Saturn as its internal shares some similarity with Sophia system or maybe Sophia system is based on the protype design... ?

saturn_proto2.jpg

notice no silk printing? the shell is clean with no marking at all... and the plastic feels different from normal Saturn.

saturn_proto6.jpg

don't think you see metal cap'd chip on the above picture on the retail Saturn...

can't tell you where I got this - coz I don't know. It was something my relatives in Japan sent as a surprize... it sure was... :D

cheers

Back