i need help figuring out this modchip

I have 10 modchips.. They seem to be a different version of the v2 modchip.. About 8 of them are identical to the one pictured, and 2 of them have unique trace patterns.. Right now i'm only concerned with the 8 identical ones.

The problem is, I can't find any documentation on this particular modchip.. I've seen the v2 guide on robwebb.clara.co.uk, but it doesn't help me much because it describes bridging certain points or cutting certain traces that aren't exactly the same on my chip..

There aren't even any 0014 or 0019 labels on my chip anywhere! Does anyone know of any information on this chip out there, or am I doomed to experimentation and trial/error tests?

TIA

Attachments

• mod1.jpg
    mod1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 114
  • mod2.jpg
    mod2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 113
Have you tried inserting the CD cables and trying the modboard out? Maybe you don't have to do any modding to the modboard.

My modboard is similar to that one except it works on all Saturns, on one side it has 21pin connectors on the other side you have 20pin and all you have to do is solder the +5v wire and connect the CD cables.

Infact if you look at that board it has the solder holes for the 20pin connectors.

Pyrite said:
Have you tried inserting the CD cables and trying the modboard out? Maybe you don't have to do any modding to the modboard.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I did this.. I tried connecting the CD cables, and I soldered a wire from +5v to the appropriate place on the saturn power supply..

When I tested it, I found that it played originals, but did not play backups.. I forget what kind of error it gave.. that's probably irrelevant.

Maybe the games you're trying to play are from another region, you'll need a Action Replay cart or patch the iso's.

something interesting just happened.. I tried installing one of the 2 unique ones.... and it worked! Now it's going to be a challenge to try and figure out what this one does that the 8 identical ones don't..

I'm at work, but I promise more pictures of everything when I get home later today..

well, i figured it out....

The two "unique" modchips worked, and I used them as models to figure out what was wrong with the other 8.

The solution for those involves cutting a trace, desoldering a jumper, and soldering a different jumper.

I'm not sure what the original configuration was for.. I tested all my work on a v.0014 model 2 saturn, so maybe they were meant for a v.0019.. i'm not really sure..

Anyway, I've never seen mod boards quite like these, and i'm sure some of you are interested, so I'll post annotated pictures in a couple of hours.

here's a picture of the solution.. if it looks like 2 traces are being cut by the red line there, sorry about that -- only the bottom trace should be cut.. You're just re-routing that one signal.

Attachments

• DSCF0420.JPG
    DSCF0420.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 127
Back