Ikaruga

Having decided not to buy a Dreamcast (yet; I may get one eventually), I've just bid for / won a US copy of Ikaruga (and a FreeLoader) for my very dusty GC, with a mind to see how good it is and get a vague idea of whether Radiant Silvergun would be worth the considerable investment.

I chose to buy an NTSC copy because I've read that the PAL conversion is a bit shocking. It'll also be funny to show my friends the box with the much-publicised "frothing demand" quote!

I was wondering if anybody has any comments about the game. I'm aware that it will probably be very difficult to me, especially since I'm an 00bern00b at gaming and the only shooter that I've really played (and not been terribly good at) is Hellfire!

I'll be interested to hear any views. I'm looking forward to trying it out, anyway.

Playing it on a horizontal screen really diminishes the experience (you may as well be playing on a 10" screen unless your TV is huge). One reason I like the Dreamcast version is that it supports VGA output, and generally it's easier to run a VGA monitor vertically than it is for a TV.

The GC version has the rotation option. It's just that the game looks better via VGA than on a TV. But don't worry, it looks fine in TATE mode on the cube.

Thanks for the reassurance : )

TATE, that's the mode which rotates the screen to remove the borders on the side, for playing sideways or with your TV on its side, correct? I did wonder how the long screen would work on a 4:3 screen. Either way, my monitor is just as old and bulky as my TV, so it wouldn't be too much easier to work with VGA mode! I think I would like to play the game on a full screen, though, especially when the screen is small enough without borders anyway.

Now to go upstairs and see whether my TV sits on its side properly! I'm hoping that it's just as cubical as I picture. =D

Back