Ikaruga

mal

Established Member
Unofficial sequal to Radiant Silvergun?

The second best shooter ever?

I've never played it so tell me all about it.
smile.gif

.....WOOOOO! if you thought i'd pass up a chance to rant silly about ikaruga....THINK AGAIN!!! :party

Yes this IS the sequal to Radiant Silvergun and a damm good one too!

Amazing effects and 3d detail from start to finish, one of the best soundtracks i've ever heard!

Lacks many of the weapon features that were in RS1, but does have a nice feature where you can store up energy, collected from the enemey fire and be put to damm good use when in a really tough spot (like stage 4 "Reality")...

the light and dark ship/weapon thingy is a nice feature where as if you shoot a enemey of the same colour(as your ship is)it will take longer to be killed, but shoot it in the oppisite ship mode and it will blow quicker!

BLACK SHOT + BLACK ENEMY = NORMAL DAMAGE

WHITE SHOT + WHITE ENEMY = NORMAL DAMAGE

BLACK SHOT + WHITE ENEMY = x2 DAMAGE

WHITE SHOT + BLACK ENEMY = x2 DAMAGE

if you any good with this you can score chain combo's

A successful chain is like this:

(B = BLACK, W=WHITE)

B, B, B, W, W, W, B, B, B, B, B, B, W, W, W; W, W, W, B, B, B, B, B, B,

W, W, W.

1 CHAIN: 100 points

2 CHAIN: 200 points

3 CHAIN: 400 points

4 CHAIN: 800 points

5 CHAIN: 1600 points

6 CHAIN: 3200 points

7 CHAIN: 6400 points

8 CHAIN: 12800 points

MAX CHAIN: 25600 points

screew the order up....and it's back to square one! (B, B, B, W, W, W, B, B, W <chain broken>)

The game has several (not so) hidden features.....

Continues increse by one for each hour of game play you put in...when you reach 9 the game go's into freeplay mode.

Pic Gallery 1

Beat trial mode without continuing OR play time is over 5 hours.

This will open up Gallery 1. There are 17 pictures in this gallery.

Pic Gallery 2

Clear the game on any level (you can use continues) OR play time is

over 10 hours.

This will open up Gallery 2. There are 6 character profiles in this

gallery.

Sount Test

Beat EASY MODE without continuing OR play time is over 15 hours.

This will open up the Sound Test.

Game Mode

Beat NORMAL MODE without continuing OR play time is over 20 hours.

This will open up GAME MODE where you can choose between NAOMI or

PROTOTYPE.

(NAOMI (the Dreamcast arcade board) will be the Arcade version of

Ikaruga.

PROTOTYPE is nearly the same game, but you don't have as much

firepower, and you can not store up bullets to release a homing laser.)

IKARUGA WALLPAPER:

Pop in your Ikaruga disk into the CD-ROM drive on your PC. There are

five wallpapers for you. All in BMP format, at a resolution of

1024x768.

If you have NOT yet played this game....either go buy the Gamecube copy or find a DC one on ebay!

FACTS!!!!!!

There is a town in Japan named "Ikaruga" in Nara. Nara is east of

Heian and south of Mt. Hiei near the Yamato Plain.

The kanji for Ikaruga means "mottled dove". Mottled as in shades of

black and white. Sounds like a direct reference to the ship in the

game.

Warning! The big enemy is approaching at full throttle.

According to the data, it is identified as "Butsutekkai"

There is no refuge. Unable to avoid firing.

Since when Ikaruga is a sequal to RS? Just because it says project RS2 in the openings means nothing its just a code name, the two games have nothing in common. I really don´t like this game the colors are all washout, only two weapons, too slow, boring bosses, even more boring levels, only 4 stages, the switch gameplay is very fun, the graphics are awesome none the less, everytime I want to play I have to put the TV in the vertical position :smash , and I still have to get that damn adaptoid to connect saturn pads maybe the game will be more fun then
biggrin.gif

I was prepared to love this game... and was disappointed!

The graphics are too small and hence blurred. YOu really need to either turn the tv of its side or have a LARGE tv. Mine is 27 inches and it looks bad playing this game.

Too hard. Too Hyped. I am glad I didn't pay a fortune for it on ebay. I like Radiant Silvergun and hated this.

Originally posted by jeff-20@Jul 6, 2003 @ 12:47 AM

I was prepared to love this game... and was disappointed!

The graphics are too small and hence blurred. YOu really need to either turn the tv of its side or have a LARGE tv. Mine is 27 inches and it looks bad playing this game.

Too hard. Too Hyped. I am glad I didn't pay a fortune for it on ebay. I like Radiant Silvergun and hated this.

It would be cool to turn the tv on its side on a widescreen tv! I wish i could go try it. But my tv is one heavy mother..... ,shut your mouth, I'm only talkin' bout Ikaruga!

Turning the TV to the side? I thought about that the first time I played Galactic Attack (i.e., Layer Section, JAP) for the Saturn in arcade mode as well.
laugh.gif

Since when Ikaruga is a sequal to RS? Just because it says project RS2 in the openings means nothing its just a code name, the two games have nothing in common.

Apparently there is a sort of tangential storyline connection; it seems that the "bad guys" are so powerful because they dug up the device that caused all the problems in RS.

The in game text for Ikaruga was dropped for the US version. Remember the text at the end of RS? when you where fighting the last few bosses? well that text was in the Jap version of Ikaruga, not the US, can anybody confirm if it is in the PAL version?

Back to topic, Ikaruga is as much as a shooter as it is a puzzle game. It is very "Japanese" in its design as it demands perfection from the player. The only true way to play Ikaruga is to memorize enemy attacks and go for maximum combo's.

Ikaruga is only shown up in my opinion by RS

Originally posted by Berty@Jul 8, 2003 @ 04:53 AM

The in game text for Ikaruga was dropped for the US version. Remember the text at the end of RS? when you where fighting the last few bosses? well that text was in the Jap version of Ikaruga, not the US, can anybody confirm if it is in the PAL version?

Back to topic, Ikaruga is as much as a shooter as it is a puzzle game. It is very "Japanese" in its design as it demands perfection from the player. The only true way to play Ikaruga is to memorize enemy attacks and go for maximum combo's.

I think the only way to enjoy shooters like this and radiant silvergun is to get the invicibility code and just stroll through it as if you were watching a movie. Enjoy all the pretty flashes and effects in one big dose without the frustration. I am not a japanese perfectionist with obsessive cumpulsive disorder.

I'm pretty good at shooters, but I can't get past the fourth stage to save my life. After spending twenty-odd years avoiding bullets, intentionally soaking them up just confuses my poor brain
smile.gif

Originally posted by Berty@Jul 8, 2003 @ 04:53 AM

When you say English version, I'm assuming you're talking about the GC version?

Complaining that a shooter is too hard is like complaining that the water is too liquid.

There are two kinds of shooters:

Flashy mindless bullet fest, where technique doesn't matters as much as how big and spread the player bullets are. With almost random level designs and cheap enemies that shoots bullets in "patterns where the only way to avoid it is being in the opposite side of the screen, this kind of shooter is more popular among people who play shooters occasionally, because they put insane amount of power in the player hands.

And there are strategic shooters, a more rare kind, where dodging plays a bigger hole that blowing stuff up. These games often have intricated level design and enemy positioning, that incentives the player to master the game, in order to achieve the highest scores, or even survive to the latter levels. That's where Ikaruga AND Radiant Silvergun fall into.

But since Radiant Silvergun disguises itself as a mindless shooter, by not obligating the player into strategic play, it appeals more people than Ikaruga. There are many moments in RS where you need the same skills Ikaruga requires (like doing the last boss without dying.)

Ikaruga is about challenge, something that was long fogotten since the NES days, and not many gamers nowadays can bear with. And I find it FAR less frustating that Gigawings 2, as example, because it's quite obvious when GW2 get's hard in the cheap way, where in Ikaruga it is always possible to dodge if you focus into the game enough.

I can sucessfully get through that first satellite in level 4, in normal mode, by navigating between the enemies orbitating around it and swithing colors to pass through the bullet streams, but only shooting the enemies when it's safe enough. One will be ownzored if goes through Ikaruga shooting all the time.

I could not agree more with Md310n. This is the essence of what shooters are all about. Some appeal to the wide audience while others are more focused and tweaked for the "shooter freaks" like myself. The same rule applies to RPGs. Like FF7 was a mainstream RPG and everyone had it down to the last materia. Shooters rule, Amen!! :agree

I tend to find that if people play shooters to see the ending, they're not going to enjoy themselves all that much. Play to beat your previous score and you'll have a lot more fun, and satisfaction at the end of it.

Wooo, I just played Ikaruga for the first time yesterday
cool.gif

I of course haven't gotten very far in it but I have to say that I love the concept to it. Like Myname said, its hard to get used to wanting bullets in a shooter. If thats not hard enough, you mess your mind up more figuring out which bullets are good and which aren't and which enemys you can do 2x damage to, then switch all of that at the press of a button. Very demanding mentally, definitely not an old school shooter where you just hold fire and drift side to side mindlessly. Radiant Silvergun is all about the use of correct weapons, Ikaruga is all about the correct use of your color. I find M3d10n is correct when he says the game doesn't get cheap hard like many shooters, it just plays with your mind the whole time. If you mess up its mainly your fault for not switching when you should have, which makes it all the more damn frusterating
damn.gif
. Its so easy to blame most games (as in collision detection was off or it was rigged to be damn near impossible), but in this one you see that it was your fault. That sounds like bitching but its not, I think it makes the game great. I need to play it more now
biggrin.gif

---Ammut

this game took time to make, lots of f-ing time to make. making for lots of time to beat it. great game all i really have to say because everyone has said what needs to be said about this game. oh and for the negative remarks on the game, those who havent played ignore them and play anyways to judge yourself i garantee you will disagree with the neg remarks

I will put it simply. Elegance in design and pefect execution in development, backed up by a good and fresh concept. Few games fall in that category.

Back