i'm sad

this is the type of positive media coverage (south) korea's been getting lately. the picture here

remember, it's your choice whether you take a peek or not. that's the main reason i put a LINK to the pic, not a href'ed (img'ed in this case). but let me just caution that it made me really sad. not at the fact the dogs have been skinned for food processing, but that this is what my country has to show for the rest of the world to see.

on the brighter side, my birthday is nearing and this year i have actually compiled a wish list on amazon. well, it's actually for my (high school) graduation gifts so people won't be obligated to purchase watches i'll never wear AND it'll be much easier on them to send me anything because half the people on my list so far (about 30 of them) don't live in the US...anyway, here's the wish list. any suggestions on reasonable things i should add?

Quote: from eatpenguin on 10:34 pm on Feb. 13, 2002

this is the type of positive media coverage (south) korea's been getting lately. the picture here

remember, it's your choice whether you take a peek or not. that's the main reason i put a LINK to the pic, not a href'ed (img'ed in this case). but let me just caution that it made me really sad. not at the fact the dogs have been skinned for food processing, but that this is what my country has to show for the rest of the world to see.

on the brighter side, my birthday is nearing and this year i have actually compiled a wish list on amazon. well, it's actually for my (high school) graduation gifts so people won't be obligated to purchase watches i'll never wear AND it'll be much easier on them to send me anything because half the people on my list so far (about 30 of them) don't live in the US...anyway, here's the wish list. any suggestions on reasonable things i should add?

hmm, your profile says you live in texas, anyhow, how is eating dog different from eating penguine?

Quote: from SkankinMonkey on 8:57 pm on Feb. 13, 2002

hmm, your profile says you live in texas, anyhow, how is eating dog different from eating penguine?

i have no problem with people eating dogs or whatever

well, as long as it's bred for that specific purpose

but the picture and article that went along with it just makes me sad, as i said above, because that's what korea is known for. not for the culture, not for whatever, but the mere fact that koreans have been really pushing the dog-meat issue lately. believe me, i dont give shit about peta and i'll willingly club a baby seal if there's a reason for it. but the topic is not quote unquote animal cruelty issue but the negativity to the culture given off by the media.

#### i'd eat dog if i had the chance. Korea is cool i know about the war and stuff and i also no about tang so do i once knew some korean kid from school but besides that i know nothing else.

Well maybe according to western standards this is a sad pic. I am Korean but I never at boshingtang (dog soup) or dog for that matter. I don't think i have a problem with it. I'd eat it if I ever have the chance but I don't think it will be my favorite dish or anything.

But yeah, the pic is kinda disturbing if you are a dog lover...but i'm sure if someone loved chickens or cows the same way they love dogs...I think they would be offended by slaughter houses where they do the same thing.

But then again standards are different in different countries...

Moral of the story..when in Rome...

Kyosuke75

I should categorize that as the inquisition mania. Think that most of us, westerners are still living in the dark ages. When the moral and the standards of Europe should be pushed down the throats of other ppl/countries. Way more disturbing than this picture is the fact of the so-called educated westerns are not able to recognize and accept other ppl views and culture.

Quote: from Draconar on 7:43 am on Feb. 14, 2002

I should categorize that as the inquisition mania. Think that most of us, westerners are still living in the dark ages. When the moral and the standards of Europe should be pushed down the throats of other ppl/countries. Way more disturbing than this picture is the fact of the so-called educated westerns are not able to recognize and accept other ppl views and culture.

You are right; but I don't want a new "fashion" of this kind in my country.

Accepting the fact that they don't have enough food, blahblah... to accept what they do, is the first step to see it as an "example" in the future.

I think that's the risk of your position.

"Recognizing and accepting" others people view and culture doesn't make you more civilizated; I don't say that being educated is taking snob positions, too.

You can respect another person's point of view; but you have the right to accept it or not.

>The picture is sick

Yeah it is sick.

But it´s also sick to see pictures of spanish bull fights,

slaughter houses... whatever.

There´s no difference between eating dogs, cats.... or eating chicken, cows, pigs....

I think it´s okay to eat meat.

For most western people it is strange to eat dogs or cats. Also it´s ugly to see people eating insects...

it´s all the same... all nature.

I also would be sick to see pics of a killed cow or something other animal...

life is sometimes strange, ugly...

maybe it´s okay to eat dogs the same way to eat cows

They are killed to be eaten not just for fun.

Its strange because by our standards they're considered pets.

But guinea pigs and rabbits are eaten, as well as making nice pets.

well, these dogs ARE raised for the sole purpose of meat. there's no doubting in that. like cattle/pigs/chickens. and the poster in the picture is from a PETA-like organization, i assume. but the mere idea of skinned animal, any, not just dogs but cows/etc too, makes me shiver. i can handle it when they're all cut up and wrapped in nice little packages for your purchasing convenience at local groceries. but x_x

oh btw, yes you may click on my wish list, and yes, you may have the pleasure of purchasing me something nice for my buy-me-gift day. it'll make you feel better. i promise.

You are right; but I don't want a new "fashion" of this kind in my country.

neither do I want that! I´d never eat dog meat or something like that. The problem is when ppl start a witchunt on other ppl just because they have another culture. That´s really bad.

I just feel like "leave ´em alone", as long they don´t impose their culture on me, it´s ok. What they´re doing to Korea is almost the same thing as if someone you never seen before popped in your house and started to tell you how to live.

[link]http://asia.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/east/08/05/korea.dog/[/link]

(Edited by Draconar at 9:39 pm on Feb. 14, 2002)

Back