In your opinion, what's the best looking box art?

Nadius

Established Member

While gathering conceptual ideas for a Sword of Vermillion flash movie i thought about making, i ran across the cover art for the japanese megadrive and was astounded at how "cooler" it is than it's US counterpart.

here're the covers for reference:

JP "Vermillion" 180kb:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/scans/md/vermillion.jpg

US "Sword of Vermillion" 103kb:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/scans/scans2/swordofvermillion.jpg

(You'll have to copy and paste into a browser window)

Anyway this leads me to my question:

In your opinion, what game has the best looking box art?

Japanese SNES games look amazing too, the box of my copy of Yoshi's Island is almost a work of art by itself..

When I was younger I used to love the Megadrive Street Fighter II Champion Edition art, the one with Ryu in the foreground and M. Bison with his arms folded in the background, with his hands glowing. I'll look for a picture since maybe the US art was different.

One of the best: Resident Evil (JAP).

One of the worst: Resident Evil (US and Europe).

Japanese Capcom games usually have very nice covers.

[Edit] Also Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Originally posted by Tony Skyrunner@Feb. 05 2003, 6:25 pm

One of the best: Resident Evil (JAP).

One of the worst: Resident Evil (US and Europe).

Japanese Capcom games usually have very nice covers.

[Edit] Also Panzer Dragoon Saga.

yeah why do JP Capcom games always have so much better covers? Looks at all the Saturn ones especially

Both vermillion boxes I find equally pleasing. If I had played the game then I might be able to make a definitive decision on which is better.

By what should box art be judged?

I would guess one should consider

1.)aesthetical pleasure

and

2.)to what degree does it fit in with the game content.

Are there any other aspects they should be judged by?

You seem to all agree that another aspect should be comparing the box art from the different territories for the same game.

The ones I remember enjoying, at the moment, are Phalanx, FF7, maybe FF6, Alundra, and Secret of Mana. I don't think I care for the Alundra cover art now.

Phalanx's box art has little to do with what the game is about but in my mind it fits in. It reminds me of Galaxy Express 999 which was a mix of the future and the old West. I might be partial to that kind of theme. It also puts an image in my mind of cruising through space in a old beat-up jalopy like the Millenium Falcon which is some how pleasing.

I submit the artwork contained within the cover booklets of Akumajo Dracula X and .... Dammit, forgot the other one. ???

Originally posted by calganagain@Feb. 07 2003, 2:16 pm

By what should box art be judged?

I would guess one should consider

1.)aesthetical pleasure

and

2.)to what degree does it fit in with the game content.

Are there any other aspects they should be judged by?

You seem to all agree that another aspect should be comparing the box art from the different territories for the same game.

Whatever floats your boat.

But since you do bring up #2, i should say that other than in the Sword of Vermillion's introduction, and i think in one of it's ending scenes, there is no horse in the game what so ever.

I guess i'll add to the criteria with by "how much it makes you want to play/buy the game"

And i agree with your choice of secret of mana.

It doesn't need to be an exact fit but could be to what extent does the art agree with the essence of the game?

Back