Interest Check: SegaXtreme Collaborative Project

TrekkiesUnite118

Established Member
So this was being discussed in the Discord but I figured we could make a thread for it. Basically myself and Emerald Nova were discussing the idea of a bunch of us all working together on a collaborative project. People like myself may not have the time and knowledge to do a lot of low-level work, but could do some general grunt work like programming game logic, making tools, converting assets, etc., allowing the more hardware savvy people to just work on the parts they know best to get the game running.

The Main ideas we were throwing around would be porting something to the Saturn, but really it could be anything. Some ideas that were thrown out there where the following:

Diablo 1 Port with Netlink Support (Recently has had it's source code reverse engineered and works off of SDL)
Mario 64 (Source was reverse engineered from the Disassembly)
Pokemon (Source was leaked and there is well documented disassemblies)
Stepmania (DDR Clone that's Open source)
Beatmania 5th Style (Source Code was included as padding in a PS1 game, uses PSY-Q)
Doom (Redemption)

Any other ideas that people have feel free to throw out there. But overall this thread is more to see who all would be interested in doing something like this?

what if we just worked on a silly rts where you fight the chinese communist party

i dont know what it takes to port. it sounds like a lopsided lot of work

an original game, maybe it is actually more work

I would be willing to commit time to any community project. I really want to work with you guys. But as far as games I'd like to work on: Pokemon and Diablo are definitely up there. Or a completely original game. But I'll always prefer crpgs.

In fact, Daggerfall I believe is ripe for the taking. Available for free and thoroughly disassembled for modding, repackaging, and even porting to unity. Also everything is procedural so minimal level data to port.

what if we just worked on a silly rts where you fight the chinese communist party

With a port, all the resources are available for the taking if you can convert them. It's definitely less work, but less impressive than an original game. Not sure if there are any RTS games with readily available source or at least documented. Also, console RTS games are naturally worse than on PC.

I disagree on RTS games being always worse on console but I'm in the minority there.
But we're not really here for that.

I don't think I could stay on task for a collab anyway, and that's the trouble they always have

i don't really see a formula for a collab when the range of games are all incredibly different.

i wouldn't do into it if we weren't _all about_ the game and genre being worked on

im the sad one then

Well, like I said, I'm the lone RPG guy. But I'd be more than willing to work on an fps or platformer or something to work with you guys. What's important to me is too have something people will play when we're done.

So I think we agreed that the best project is DOOM. I think me, Trekkies, and Ponut are interested. More hands make lighter work.

NOTE: Not a final decision, more like an acknowledgement that it's a good project idea.

Last edited:
So I think we agreed that the best project is DOOM. I think me, Trekkies, and Ponut are interested. More hands make lighter work.

We haven't really agreed on anything yet, we're just shooting ideas around. Wait for other people to say if they're interested in this before we get too far ahead of ourselves. Otherwise you're counting your chickens before they hatch.

One of the users of this forum previously tried to port Alundra to Saturn. But it seems that his project has stalled. Since Saturn is most suitable for 2D games, it’s logical to port 2D games to it. Therefore, it would be nice to resume the Alundra project.

My bad. Like I said before, I'm down for anything if it's with the community. RPGs preferred but I'll be alone on that. FPSs that I can make RPGs later are just as good.

One of the users of this forum previously tried to port Alundra to Saturn. But it seems that his project has stalled. Since Saturn is most suitable for 2D games, it’s logical to port 2D games to it. Therefore, it would be nice to resume the Alundra project.

The Saturn is good at 2D, but it also has a nice 3D aesthetic. We want to show people what we can to as well, so I don't think we should prefer 2D to 3D over the misconception that the Saturn can't handle it. If there are people working on Alundra and are willing to jump back into it, it's not a bad idea (assuming the source code is out there.)

Did that guy release his Source code for that? Otherwise we'd be just starting over on it. And without any source code to go off of we'd basically be making something that kind of looks and sounds like Alundra, but doesn't really play like it.

An unlicensed port or remake always runs the risk of being shut down, and you can't legally distribute the whole finished product.

An unlicensed port or remake always runs the risk of being shut down, and you can't legally distribute the whole finished product.

True, but you can always do it the way Doom Source Ports or the Diablo Source Ports get away with it where the end user has to provide their own WAD files.

Personally I'd just love to see more translations. My holy grail is Madou Monogatari. It seems to have a script system neatly tucked into a few files, and while digging through the game code I found text for a debug menu (who knows if it was removed or just deactivated?) that allowed for stage select and enemy tests at the minimum, based on the text.

The catch is that every single game file on the disk uses a custom compression. There is a decompression tool available, but one would either need to write a compression tool, or figure out how to patch the game exe to load uncompressed files. The script data is all inside the RAM uncompressed.

On that note, the original Command & Conquer and Red Alert are going to be open sourced soon (the remaster is coming out this weekend, and they promised to release the source).

While C&C already has a Saturn port, Red Alert does not.

C&C itself could be re-ported too, with some extra features like mouse control or hi-res support for a larger visible playfield and C&C95 hi-res menu graphics, or 4MB RAM support to keep all the animation intact (the building animations were removed in the existing port).

Reactions: vbt
I would support with tests a Diablo port, since i doesn't versed with coding. But something is buggling me about this port. The port version needs more RAM than what the base console can give. But splitscreen multiplayer would be good too

Back