Interest Check: SegaXtreme Collaborative Project

Using modem, or using serial port??
Well, modem is preferable, as that's how real people would play. But if there is a cheap and available serial connector that can communicate with PC, I can just write a script that will communicate with a server. But really, it's not quote the same, sort of cheating. Really the only real way to claim a modern Saturn MMO is through Netlink.

That would be great. I still need to improve how the custom map format works to make it more user friendly, and I need to improve even more the map compiler, but I guess by next year it should be realistic to have full support for people to make custom maps, and MAYBE the year after I could release the engine - perhaps even start to port it to Yaul - which could allow new game types with it.
But with a small kid at home plus work, my free time for this project is limited to around 1 or 2 hours per week, so sadly the progress is now very slow.
And the map compiler is really where I need to spend/waste the most time sadly
I will babysit for you for free if you make the map converter public.

Well, modem is preferable, as that's how real people would play. But if there is a cheap and available serial connector that can communicate with PC, I can just write a script that will communicate with a server. But really, it's not quote the same, sort of cheating. Really the only real way to claim a modern Saturn MMO is through Netlink.
Ooook, im working on it, im searching for get netlink protocol working on pc side, once I get it, tcp/ip based conection should be trivial.

Just as curiosity, im also working in a serial to usb communication cable, ~9.5€, im waiting for pcbs and components.

Last edited:
Ooook, im working on it, im searching for get netlink protocol working on pc side, once I get it, tcp/ip based conection should be trivial.

Just as curiosity, im also working in a serial to usb communication cable, ~9.5€, im waiting for pcbs and components.
While the serial connection would be nice, I'm lookign at it form the player's persepctive. If you can give me a way to get 15 fps tcp/ip communication to a server from Netlink, I can immediately market a prototype to current netlink users. A current day Saturn MMO would be really fun to put together. If i make the game turn based, the netcode should be not terrible to figure out.

While the serial connection would be nice, I'm lookign at it form the player's persepctive. If you can give me a way to get 15 fps tcp/ip communication to a server from Netlink, I can immediately market a prototype to current netlink users. A current day Saturn MMO would be really fun to put together. If i make the game turn based, the netcode should be not terrible to figure out.
In my vision of serial port it will be a modem replacement and compatible, but going step by step, what you want, is what I first wanna reach.

I will babysit for you for free if you make the map converter public.
I did release a version that you can use with Trenchbroom directly to compile the maps, but not the code : it's such a shitshow, I'm getting lost myself in it, and I don't have time to clean it up.
It's not really surprising : the whole map compiler started for Sonic Z-Treme with a uniform grid system, before moving to a kd tree, then an octree, then a BSP tree made with polygons, then to brush-based BSP tree with generated geometry. And I'm still making huge changes.

At least I could continue working on it to make it modular and just publish the executable with a demo - perhaps for Yaul - but that will take a while...

But hey, if you offer to babysit for free, that would be worth it!

Pardon me if I don’t understand the limitations or scope of the initial request, but would any of the following arcade gems be do-able for our beloved Saturns ? Or would most of these require Dreamcast power to run them ?

Konami:
Metamorphic Force
Bucky O’Hare
Mystic Warriors
Wild Cowboys of Moo Mesa
Turtles in Time
Sunset Riders
Violent Storm

Capcom:
The Punisher
Mega Man: Power Battle
Mega Man 2: Power Fighters
Alien vs Predator
Final Fight
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Slam Masters 2: Ring of Destruction
Strider

Bonk:
AirZonk
Bonk’s Adventure
Bonk’s Revenge
Bonk 3
Bonk SNES

PC FX
Zenki FX: Vajra Fight
Chip Chan Kick
Fire Woman Matoigumi
Megami Tengoku 2

Apologies if many of these are completely impossible to port to Saturn. I’m not super tech literate nor do I plan to become it haha.

Back