Interest Check: SegaXtreme Collaborative Project

I also have a Roland SC-88 I could record Doom MIDIs off of if we wanted really good quality music or something.

There's quite a bunch of SC-55 and 88 recordings of Doom and Doom 2 actually, but there's one that I couldn't find - something that has the reverb and chorus settings turned up. I had mp3 recordings of those maybe 20 years ago, but I had to delete them due to space issues, and I couldn't find anything like those ever since. All the recordings made are "pure" with the effects turned down.

Cave Story has a pretty much complete Megadrive port made in C, I heard it's only missing some water droplet effect when you get out of water and has a bit fewer frames of animation on the spinning diskette and such. It didn't use any transparency even in the original PC version besides dithering, so it should have no problems running 1:1 on the Saturn.
andwn/cave-story-md

There has also been an attempt at porting the freeware game Lyle in Cube Sector to the Megadrive. It's working fine except for the music having to be different, which would easily be fixed in a Saturn port by rendering the tracker music to Red Book, I dunno if it was ever finished though. The MMF2 source code for Lyle in Cube Sector was also released by the creator, so it could be used as a reference.
BogoZone

Last edited:
From what it looks like, me, slinga, Trekkies, and Ponut are in for Doom. I need some time to get my affairs at the university in order, but I will start trying to setup some sort of infrastructure for working together on it. The way I see it, we need to be able to do the following:

* Grab the GoG version of The Ultimate Doom (The Ultimate DOOM on GOG.com) and process art assets, music, sfx, and level details into a format compatible with Saturn (this will require a separate executable patch tool)
* Incorporate a WAV to PCM converter in the patch tool and downgrade the audio for optimized playback
* Set up our rending engine with WAD parsing in mind
* Create a MUS/MIDI music player for the Doom format (and probably the normal MIDI format for good measure)
* Everyone learn BSPs
* Everyone learn: id-Software/DOOM
* Write John Carmack senpai a thank you card after asking him to notice us

Honestly I'm not interested in working on Doom. Clearly you guys are passionate about it so I think you should proceed with it. I'm more than happy to burn discs and beta test for you guys though. Good luck!

You guys realize that all your need to do for another Saturn Doom is to reuse the 3DO or Jaguar source code? All the assets fit in Saturn's ram already and the 3DO version already uses quads strips and hardware rendering. I fail to see where collaboration would be needed as it's really a one person job and it's mostly tedious and boring work if you ask me.

Hey all,

I don't know if it's too late to suggest an idea or how feasible it is but would there be interest in trying to add content to Fighters Megamix similar to Smash Remix on N64.

It would be cool to have new stages and content from other Sega games in a compilation fighter on the Saturn I feel. If there isn't interest in that would there be a possibility of creating a tool for Saturn similar to the Golden Eye Setup Editor so more Saturn game modification would be possible?

Thanks again,

I've actually been thinking along similar lines - it would be really cool to take the Sega Rally graphics & physics engine, and add tracks/cars from other games (the Daytona CCE graphics engine is probably better, but the controls/physics are pretty crap).

I've mentioned a few times to a couple of people (including Emerald Nova yesterday) that I'd be glad to compose music and design sound effects for a collaborative game project.

Well, since this was revived.... as we can see it did not go that far. The major hurdle with collab projects is properly dividing up the work. If you guys do take on this again, I recommend somebody make the executive decision to just pick the project, and create a list of specific jobs that have to be done on it. Specificity is key. You may be able to find more people assisting when there is clarity of a task.

Some projects (not necessarily large collaborative) I would like to see done but I don't have time to work on them:

1) Port 240p Test Suite to Saturn. I feel like this would be a good project for someone who knows\wants to learn libyaul in-depth. Additional potential to add 480i and 480p tests as well. The argument against is that most people have at least one other console that supports the 240p Test Suite so they use that instead. If new resolutions are needed they could be added to libyaul.
2) Add 3d Analog controller support to Jo Engine or libyaul. Xl2 has code to do this already: Maxime-XL2/SONIC-Z-TREME.
3) Add netlink support to Jo Engine of libyaul. Waterfuell has been writing code to interact with the Netlink, not sure what the status is.
4) Porting the Sega Genesis Dev Kit to Saturn. The idea being you can recompile existing Sega Genesis homebrew and run it on the Saturn. Obviously a lot of trickiness here but would be interesting to me. And it would rely on homebrew that uses the library for everything vs rolling their own stuff.
5) Playable NES emulator

Feel free to add your own suggestions.

Last edited:
3) Add netlink support to Jo Engine of libyaul. Watefuel has been writing code to interact with the Netlink, not sure what the status is.
Ive dont code anything really, just loaded driver in ram, and port 85% example code to jo.
Driver is usable, problem is the obsolete dial up tecnology.
Ive also messed a little with dreampi script and ive called to my pc from ss, and called from pc to ss, my intention is jump the dial up infrastructure gap.

@Waterfuell,

Once you finish adding Netlink support to Jo I would be interested in using it in Save Game Copier to upload\download saves.
Im following two paths at the moment, two drives me to RE netlink driver, one is modify driver to suppor serial port, the other is understand how syncronization process works on netlink, to port to a pc client tcp ip passthru cable conection.

Im following two paths at the moment, two drives me to RE netlink driver, one is modify driver to suppor serial port, the other is understand how syncronization process works on netlink, to port to a pc client tcp ip passthru cable conection.
I've given up on being useful for netlink development. But if you can show proof of concept transfer of a number from Saturn to PC over internet, I will drop everything and make Forsaken Plane Online and place a giant statute of you in the noob area.

I've given up on being useful for netlink development. But if you can show proof of concept transfer of a number from Saturn to PC over internet, I will drop everything and make Forsaken Plane Online and place a giant statute of you in the noob area.
Using modem, or using serial port??

We could also all just make maps for Hellslave if XL2 would like that.
That would be great. I still need to improve how the custom map format works to make it more user friendly, and I need to improve even more the map compiler, but I guess by next year it should be realistic to have full support for people to make custom maps, and MAYBE the year after I could release the engine - perhaps even start to port it to Yaul - which could allow new game types with it.
But with a small kid at home plus work, my free time for this project is limited to around 1 or 2 hours per week, so sadly the progress is now very slow.
And the map compiler is really where I need to spend/waste the most time sadly

Back