Internet explorer crashes (user.exe)

I have IE6, and if I type in something in a text box or address bar I often get random browser crashes that say the cause was user.exe. I strongly believe the problem lies within autocomplete, b/c after I disabled that the crashes seem to have stopped. But actually, autocomplete still seems to be active in the address bar even though I disabled it under content and also disabled inline autocomplete, and therefore I still get crashes when typing in the addy bar. Anyone know how to help? I tried IE eradicator, and reinstalled IE but no difference, much to my annoyance. I may consider another browser. I have Mozilla, but it doesn`t load as fast as IE, though it still seems pretty OK. Is there another good browser out there (spyware free) that loads really fast?

You could try Phoenix (temporarily named "Firebird" while it's transitioning to being the main Mozilla browser component), but if you want Mozilla to start up fast there's a "quick launch" option that keeps it resident in memory, which is more or less what IE does. As I recall, on my system the "quick launch" Mozilla started considerably faster than IE.

First off, emazur, what version of Windows are you running? Sounds like ME/9X.... which are both inherently evil OS's.

Actually, at least on 9x/ME systems, IE and Explorer in fact run in the same process. There's an option somewhere to make IE run in its own process, therefore somewhat enhancing system stability. I can't remember where it is, though, as I run 98SE lite with no IE (Mozilla only) so I have no Internet options left to configure.

Also, I know there's a hotfix for user.exe in the Microsoft knowledge base...in fact, my user.exe's version number is 4.10.2227 (up from 4.10.2222). I believe whatever fixes they made to it were related to your problem...

Yes, I'm running Windows ME(Jap). Did a search on the ms knowledge base:

ms

but didn`t see anything related to my problem. Also tried a download search for user.exe but saw nothing but junk. MS truly has a monstrosity of a website.

use Phoenix and you'll never go back

no popups and blocking ads with no problems

plus it's pretty slim and full featured at the same time

emazur, it sounds like the URLs stored for autocomplete are broken somehow. I don't know what the "IE eradicator" software you tried does, but try clearing the browser cache and history, plus manually deleting the URLs stored in the registry.

Tried the link, it said i should deltree windows\history. Did that, reenabled autocomplete, but crashed rightaway after trying to type w (for www.vgnetwork.com). But actually, right as it was crashing, I saw 2 other options from the drop down list (a link to winmx on my local machine and some other website). So it seems everything was not cleared away. You mentioned manually clearing out the url's in the registry. How do i do that? (I'm familiar with the basics of using regedit, mostly I just need to know where specifically I should start deleting).

Can't remember the exact key, but it should be somewhere under

hkey_current_user/software/microsoft/internet explorer. There might be something in the windows and windows_nt forks as well.

DELTREE \WINDOWS\HISTORY ...? Might work, if that's where the URL cache is, as well. I do assume you did this from pure DOS, not a command window...
wink.gif

You find anything in the registry, though?

Originally posted by Taelon@May 20, 2003 @ 11:16 PM

That's precisely what IEradicator does for you - for starters. It actually uninstalls IE completely and entirely, with all its DLLs and support folders. Everything.

IEradicator is a part of 98lite on www.litepc.com but is available as a stand-alone for free.

emazur, try this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;EN-US;ieipffaq

Hey Taelon,

do you use the full version of 98lite of just the free (limited) version

I've been curious how much better it would make things.

Your Windows self-distructed itself and IE. It happend to me a few times with Windows98. Only way to fix it is doing a fresh install, I fear.

yup racketboy, I used IEradicator to wipe that nasty IE off my existing Win98SE setup (which was still the same one that came preinstalled on my Compaq
rolleyes.gif
) ... I was so impressed that I paid for the full 98lite utility and completely reinstalled Win98SE from scratch using it. It's made a world of difference.
smile.gif

The trial version of 98lite includes IEradicator and maybe 3 removable components whereas the full version has DOZENS of them and really makes a big difference. For heaven's sake, just order it.
laugh.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@May 23, 2003 @ 05:31 PM

yup racketboy, I used IEradicator to wipe that nasty IE off my existing Win98SE setup (which was still the same one that came preinstalled on my Compaq
rolleyes.gif
) ... I was so impressed that I paid for the full 98lite utility and completely reinstalled Win98SE from scratch using it. It's made a world of difference.
smile.gif

The trial version of 98lite includes IEradicator and maybe 3 removable components whereas the full version has DOZENS of them and really makes a big difference. For heaven's sake, just order it.
laugh.gif

sounds good.

I have a couple older PCs that I was thinking about running Linux on, but it occured to me that maybe I should try that clean install of 98lite.

98 will give me all the compatablity I need for wifi, USB1/2, and all that, right? (Firewire too?)

It's hard for me to keep track of all the different windows crap
smile.gif

Originally posted by racketboy@May 23, 2003 @ 01:42 PM

I have a couple older PCs that I was thinking about running Linux on, but it occured to me that maybe I should try that clean install of 98lite.

98 will give me all the compatablity I need for wifi, USB1/2, and all that, right? (Firewire too?)

Go for it! IMHO, 98lite is very stable and reliable even for a 9x-based OS. To all your compatibility questions, yes
smile.gif

As for your XPlite link... hehe... well, that's been "on its way" for more than a year. Nobody knows if/when this will ever appear... but when it does, that'll be the day I go XP.

For a complete list of removable 98lite components (scroll down): http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html

Originally posted by NSerafini@May 26, 2003 @ 10:16 AM

( for $30 you get a browser that is not actually tied into explorer.exe )

For a similar price you can get a 98lite license and have it remove the web integration then go with Netscape or whatever.

Just something to consider..

Originally posted by Taelon+May 24, 2003 @ 01:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taelon @ May 24, 2003 @ 01:19 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@May 23, 2003 @ 01:42 PM

Go for it! IMHO, 98lite is very stable and reliable even for a 9x-based OS. To all your compatibility questions, yes
smile.gif

As for your XPlite link... hehe... well, that's been "on its way" for more than a year. Nobody knows if/when this will ever appear... but when it does, that'll be the day I go XP.

For a complete list of removable 98lite components (scroll down): http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html [/b][/quote]

if you do the clean install of 98lite, do you have to have a normal win98 CD? all I have is restore CDs. would that work?

Back