Internet explorer

OK, this is annoying me. I don't usually use IE, but it does come in handy every now and again. Except now when I try to go anywhere with it, it doesn't to anything. I can load it just fine, but when I click a bookmark or type an address it just sits there. The icon in the corner doesn't spin or anything. I upgraded to IE6 to see if that would solve it, but it still just sits there doing nothing until I have to ctrl-alt-del it to close. Any ideas as to how I can get this thing to work again? I'm running Win98. Thanks.

Huh?

Odd.....win98 se?

Also did you do a full windows update?

Any firewalls?

Settings in IE ok?

Any other prgrams running?

I noticed the problem when I tried to d/l a file in NS that just displayed it in the window (some server setting? I dunno what causes it, fairly common problem with NS). So I went to IE to d/l it like I usually do, but this time it just sits there and does nothing until I have to terminate it. I reset, still didn't work. Updated to IE6, still doesn't work. I'm not running SE, just Win98. I do have Zone Alarm, but I've never had a problem with it before. I tried turning it off, but IE still doesn't do anything. Not sure why its doing this. I didn't mess with any settings before it started happening either. Since I don't know much about IE I don't have a clue what can be causing this.

Nothing that wasn't before. Norton AV, Logitech MouseWare and the usual Windows things when I hit ctrl-alt-del. But I am noticing something called "connector" after I load IE. I've never seen that before, but maybe I never paid attention. I just tried to repair IE and that didn't work, I uninstalled IE6 and went back to 5.5 but it's still messing up. I seems to load pages from my HD just fine (my bookmarks file from NS). Otherwise it hangs when I try to go anywhere. It's really, really starting to irritate me. Any settings I should be checking? Any files that might be corrupt? The repair thing just reset my computer, it didn't report anything to me afterward either good or bad. I dunno if it even did anything.

edit: might it be a Winsock2 issue even though everything but IE can access the internet? such as described here: http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html

shootin' in the dark...

Originally posted by MTXBlau@May 07 2002,22:21

Try turning off 'Auto detect proxy settings'. When I was using 5.X it seemed to cause problems.

Where might that option be located?

Also, it was suggested elsewhere that urlmon.dll might be corrupt. I tried doing what the MS site said (running "regsvr32 urlmon.dll" from start->run) but I don't know what that does, and it didn't seem to do anything anyway. But urlmon.dll might have something to do with it. This is so aggravating I'm about to cry... :cwm14

I'm using IE 4.0 right now, so I'm not sure if it's the same, but it's probably under Edit or View - Internet Options, Advanced, and it should be check marked. If not there, then try Connection (same menu of Internet Options).

Cry? Over IE? Man... try this.

www.opera.com

My favorite browser.
biggrin.gif

"autodetect proxy settings" is buried in IE

Tools -> internet options

Connections tab

if you use Dial-Up (Non-AOL) click the appropriate connection, and choose "settings"

if using AOL or other broadband ISP, click the LAN settings option

labeled

"Automatically detect settings" under "Proxy" area

Auto detect is all off. I posted my problem in an IE newsgroup as well, hopefully someone can come up with something.

Cry? Over IE? Man... try this.

hehe. Not really, but it is frustrating to have something just stop working for no reason at all. See, the only reason I need another browser is for when NS can't d/l some file or when pages don't load right in it. If Opera can work in both these situations it would fit my needs fine. Though I'd still like to get IE working again ???

edit: Just d/led Opera. Looks pretty sweet! May even replace NS some day. Two questions left though. First, how can I uninstall IE? There's no option in the add/remove programs. I'd at the very least like to get rid of the icon on my desktop (I have TweakUI and I looked but it already says it shouldn't be there). Second, is there a skin for Opera that makes it look like the classic NS? Not the new 6.x skin, but the old Communicator 4.x skin. I like the look and feel of it but the only skin I could find for it was the newer one that I hate. I haven't given up on IE totally yet, but Opera seems to be everything I need.

Try looking for the entry in your Add/Remove Programs that starts with "Microsoft Internet Explorer". For example, I have IE 5.5 and it's listed as "Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 and Internet Tools".

You can't completely uninstall Internet Explorer under Windows98 via Add/Remove, unfortunately. That's part of the reason why there was a lawsuit against MS.

The only way to get rid of it is to use 98lite. It's outstanding, Windows runs so much faster, and is much more stable. However, some niceties are lost, and some other programs are inexplicably lost, including notepad and wordpad. They can be replaced, however, if you have a Windows95 CD. Oh, and most importantly, Netscape finally works properly (go figure).

One of those other nice things is the forward/back buttons in my computer/ file manager, etc. After a while you forget them, but initially the loss is great.
smile.gif

http://www.98lite.net/

How it works - it opens up the add/remove programs menu to include things that are generally hidden from the user, including removing IE (which takes up a crapload of space). If you uninstall EVERYTHING, you can get Windows98 down to nearly 70-100MB (I don't remember, exactly).

As for skins in Opera - I have no clue. ??? I don't really use skins for anything, even winamp.

bah ie is meh browser. never had no troubles wit her and windows has always treated me right. its odd though when my mom touches my computer the thing won't even move the mouse right when she's usin it. thus the evidence of treat yur pc right and she'll do ya good, if not then yur askin for it. its funny though if my mom boots my computer 2 outta 3 times it either won't turn on the gfx card or won't let her past the bios screen.

Someone said you can't completely remove Internet Explorer from Windows.... not true. :)

Check out http://www.98lite.net - it has an awesome script called IEradicator that I used on my Win98SE setup. Did *wonders* for me.

Now I'm a Netscape 6.2 convert ... oh, and for God's sake! You CAN download files in Netscape instead of having them show up in the window...just RIGHT-CLICK the file and select SAVE AS!!!!!!

(I thougth everybody'd know that by now!)

Originally posted by Taelon@May 08 2002,19:29

Now I'm a Netscape 6.2 convert ... oh, and for God's sake! You CAN download files in Netscape instead of having them show up in the window...just RIGHT-CLICK the file and select SAVE AS!!!!!!

(I thougth everybody'd know that by now!)

I do know that
smile.gif
Sometimes it doesn't work though. It has to pass through something and forward to the file I guess. I dunno. When I tried it with this particular file all I got was a small .html file instead of the .ace file I was trying to get. Beats me.

And someone explain this to me

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q263470

The third step of removing IE5.5 from Win98/SE is to reinstall Windows and IE5.5, THEN uninstall IE5.5

First, reinstall Windows? That sucks. Second, why would I install the program only to uninstall it? Am I missing something?

I dunno if I fully trust 98lite to uninstall it w/o messing something up. But what if I were to reinstall IE5.5 over my non-working install? Would that put it back in the list of installed programs so I could uninstall it from there, or would it just mess things up worse? If nothing else I'd really like to remove the icon from my desktop. If anyone knows how to do that I would love to know how. Keep in mind I tried TweakUI, but that already says it shouldn't be there (IE is unchecked). Thanks.

Originally posted by Cynnamin@May 09 2002,08:58

Upgrade to WinME and save yourself a lot of pain.

Heh. Not on my life. I've known a few people to install ME and they went back to Win98 so fast it was like they never uninstalled it in the first place. I'd like to try Win2k some day, or maybe a duel boot type deal, but ME will never reside on my computer if I can avoid it.

Originally posted by Taelon@May 08 2002,19:29

Someone said you can't completely remove Internet Explorer from Windows.... not true. :)

I said that, and I meant by the same method by which you uninstall any program - add/ remove programs.

Incidentally, I had that link in my post as well.
wink.gif

Originally posted by Quadriflax@May 08 2002,20:35

First, reinstall Windows? That sucks. Second, why would I install the program only to uninstall it? Am I missing something?

I dunno if I fully trust 98lite to uninstall it w/o messing something up. But what if I were to reinstall IE5.5 over my non-working install? Would that put it back in the list of installed programs so I could uninstall it from there, or would it just mess things up worse? If nothing else I'd really like to remove the icon from my desktop. If anyone knows how to do that I would love to know how. Keep in mind I tried TweakUI, but that already says it shouldn't be there (IE is unchecked). Thanks.

Hmm, I was trying to figure it out, and I honestly can't fathom why on earth that'd work. That seems... no it is very counterintuitive/productive.

You can reinstall it, and it should show up in add/remove again. However, it may or may not overwrite older files. It may rename them, change their registry settings, etc. Remember, it's not only a browser, it's a huge portion of the OS, so there's really no limit as what may happen. But, hopefully, what should happen is that it'll overwrite previous files, and will remove them when you uninstall. Remember to restart after installing (should be done w/ every program, but that's another story).

Trust 98lite, really. The program is rock solid. I haven't met anybody who has had problems with the program. The demo version is all you need. If you really have concerns, you may want to find yourself a copy of Norton Ghost. No one should be without it.

So I looked into that link problem, and I thought 'hey! why not just go into dos and delete it from there?' Well, the DOS box (within windows) won't show me. Figures. Can't you just click it once, and hit the delete button (the physical [del] key that no one seems to use anymore)? It should say something like 'this stupid piece of *&%$ can't be stored in the recycle bin, please keep it because it needs your love, it's so lonely' or something more general - in any event, hit yes. That always worked for me...

If that doesn't work, I haven't tried this yet, but I assume it *may* work... restart the computer and go into safe dos mode. Enter the c:\windows\desktop directory (may be different based on your setup) and do a dir search. If it's not there, try dir/a:h. If you see something like explorer.lnk or something like that, that should probably be it. Set your path to c:\windows\command, and then type

attrib -r -h -s (name of file)

That'll make it deletable. del (name of file) and that should be the end of that.

However, you should note that this kind of stuff DOES respawn. One of the more lovely features of 98 is that it sometimes reverts to web mode after you turn it off - it's almost a ritual for me to turn it off after 3 changes in my desktop settings after reformatting (or was, thanks to Ghost).

Hopefully that works. One of the more annoying things I've learned about Windows98 is the way it operates varies from computer to computer - desktop and laptop alike. What works on one computer may or may not work on another, and stuff like deleting icons I *think* isn't a hardware/proprietary issue.

Thinking about it - One of the reasons why TweakUI is not picking it up is that link name may have changed between versions of IE. I know it's been listed in different names, from ie.* to explorer.* to iexplorer.* to god knows what.

Originally posted by Quadriflax+May 09 2002,09:03--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Quadriflax @ May 09 2002,09:03)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Cynnamin@May 09 2002,08:58

Upgrade to WinME and save yourself a lot of pain.

Heh. Not on my life. I've known a few people to install ME and they went back to Win98 so fast it was like they never uninstalled it in the first place. I'd like to try Win2k some day, or maybe a duel boot type deal, but ME will never reside on my computer if I can avoid it.[/b][/quote]

I hate ME. It is absolute garbage. If the only thing you do is surf the web, fine. But if you intend to do... ah, work, it's utterly useless. It's Win98SE2, essentially.

Win2K gets a bad rep - I'm not sure why everyone finds it 'slow'. Load up takes a bit longer, yeah, but that's about it. Gaming isn't much of an issue (at least in my experience). If it were only backwards compatible with older software, or software made for 98, it'd be perfect. Win2k does take up a lot of hard drive space though. Nearly a gig.

Back