I've noticed this in al anime

Gallstaff

Established Member

I know that dubs are usually not as true to the series as the subtitles are but has anyone noticed that in a lot of dubbed anime the characters use the words damn and hell way too much.

I mean I know the character might be trying to express a point but after a little while it just sounds like they're trying to hard to either be american or to badass which never works. There's never like a 'CRAP!' or nice 'SHIT!' i mean you know once in a while it's ok but it just gets old and not interesting after a little.

I dont think this is just me. Does anyone else notice this?

I would think that we might just be innocently assuming that the Japanese don't ever swear, cuss, etc. simply because we'd never know, hearing the original voices.
smile.gif
That said, I do think that you're right to an extent... when stuff is dubbed into English, the dialogue takes on a form of conversational Americanization, so as to sound more natural to us. What I'm saying here is that if the translation were closer to what they actually say in Japanese, it might not sound the way English-speaking people would ever say it.

yeah, i've definitely noticed. i think the dub of appleseed was the first time i noticed it, because it took on a completely different feel than i remembered the sub having...

im not sure - i generaly stay away from dubs - but when i have no other choice - yea i do hear hell being said alot - but i also hear shit, bastard, bitch, and some others too

kutabare aka Fuck you... Is said a lot and bastard is also said alot in the real japanese versions... So hmm I dont know what you mean... But I do think that dubs usually over dramatize... Sometimes it is just the subber. I get fansubs all the time but some crazy liittle 12 year old translator who just loves to use "F-this" and "F-that" in every line of speech that a character says.
laugh.gif

usualy the fan subber like that - does that for all his/her subs - some people like that and some people dont- i dont, so i do not get subs done by particular subbers ( theres a list somewhere, i forgot where - that lists the subbers and thier style - if they are true to it or if they like to make shit up or if they like to "upgrade" the swearing) and how experienced they are

and i dont know the names i let my sis take care of that - i tell her what id like to see and she will get it

Yeah Jaded I know that the real japanese and the dubs are different but have you ever noticed that somtimes something could be in japanese like being said but the sub is not what they are saying? This also happens on DVD's that feature english subs and jap subs along with both jap and english language tracks.

Ok for example i was watching spriggan (worst movie ever) and just for fun set it to english and english subs and what the subs said did not at all match what was actually being said. Why is this?

because there are two groups of people in charge of both projects and they dont work together on the translation, plus, some things just dont sound right if they were dubbed in the same way the would be subtitled(according to Dubbers).

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Feb 26, 2003 @ 10:05 PM

I know that dubs are usually not as true to the series as the subtitles are but has anyone noticed that in a lot of dubbed anime the characters use the words damn and hell way too much.

:agree

Back