joining 2 bad saturns to make 1 good one

ok right now i have a v2 21-32 saturn thats havin some probs reading cd's and it needs to be adjusted about once every 3-4days and the front end has to be lefted up just to get it to read.

so im wanting the "LOOK" of a model 1 saturn but the "MODABLETY(sp?)" of a model 2 and i was wanting to know if i could get a model 1 saturn that reads cd's,swap in the cd board(bottom half) of the model 2 but keep the lens part(top half) of the model 1(to fix the read prob's)..

another way i thought about doing this>>i saw somewhere that you can install the data light of a model 1 in some model 2's,well my model 2 just happens to be one of the ez'er one to do this with(just solder the led and res in) and also would like to know if i could just use model 1's top half of the cd drive to fix my model 2's read prob..

so i guess to cut it short,can you mix and match parts of the cd drive from both models,and can the end result be used in either of the models mobos?

I don't know if anyone has ever done that....

not sure, try it out and let us know.

Your talking about taking the motor and lense from a model 1 CD board and replacing the motore and lense part of the model 2 with it; right?

Originally posted by lordofduct@Wed, 2005-07-20 @ 05:51 AM

I don't know if anyone has ever done that....

not sure, try it out and let us know.

Your talking about taking the motor and lense from a model 1 CD board and replacing the motore and lense part of the model 2 with it; right?

[post=136947]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah,but the motor is mounted on to the cd board so i fig i would just leave the motors alone.i dont have my saturn in front of me now but i think i saw only a few screws holding the top half on to the board then you just pull out the ribbon cable and the whole top black half should come right off.i need to look into this more as i havent bought the 2nd saturn yet thats why i was asking if this could be done b4 i bought another one.

Well without major hacking I see no way that a model 1 Cd board would work in a model 2 Saturn, the simple reason being is that the ribbion in a model 2 is 21 pins, and the model 1 is 20 pins. You would need to find out what data is being sent via the 20 different connections and retoute them.

Now to me using the CD motor should work as there was no Cd read speed increases between models so its probably basically the same motor and would probably work the same in either model. I dont know how difficult it would be to remove the motor however, but I think it is only connected by 2 solder points.

Using the laser lense and track may be possible assuming both models controlled it in the same manner but I have no idea on that.

Back