Just found out how great Xbox modding is.

No you cant play xbox live with it, but you can use tunneling software for some games and thats pretty fun. I'd check first though what you want to do. I cant afford xbox live and probably wouldnt use it anyway so it doesnt make much difference to me.

Originally posted by schi0249@Dec 30, 2003 @ 02:29 AM

Shitface, what mod did you use? Is it one that has 2 bios?

I used the Chameleon solderless chip. I think it can hold up to 4 256k bios files, or be configured to hold one big 1024k bios file, or 2 smallerones and etc... It has a manual for how to set it at the site. Check it out here.

I believe the xecutor 2 has a solderless setup available too. However I went ahead and soldered mine in. I'm running an xecutor 2.2 pro, it also has 4 256K mem banks that can be used to create different combos of bank sizes for different bios's.

Originally posted by schi0249@Dec 30, 2003 @ 03:29 PM

Thanks. I want to mod my x-box to play emulators, but I also want to be able to use x-box online.

I think it also depends on what dashboard you use. You can read about how to play on live with a modded xbox on this thread over at xbox scene forums.

it doesn't matter which dash you use so much as that you make sure your hard drive is locked, the bios is set to the normal one, and none of the files that came with the xbox are missing/altered.

Anywho, since this is about getting an xbox modded. I just added a 160gig HD! wahoo! Its great for system link games when you own the only copy amongst your friends.

Just curious if you even tried Socom II online, it kills all Xbox Live games and its free to play online, like 99% of all PS2 games... plus EA games, and Neversoft are all online for PS2 only (more will follow), why anyone would pay money to play only a few people online when they can play thousands online on PS2 for free is beyond me. My Xbox sits in the corner of my room collecting dust, its just a boring machine. Just my opinion on this, no need to flame... Oh and LAG is on both systems and its "very" easy to do, so dont bother bringing that issue up. :lol: Xbox Live Hahahaha :lol:

I have done both....PS2 online and XBlive. XBlive is TONZ better. Everyone having broadband is great. the ammount of downloadable content is just insane (tonz of games support this...and it's a growing trend). The fact that almost every XBLive person out there has a headset is nice....i enjoy it a lot.

The only bad thing about XBLive is that u have to pay (it's REAL cheap though and some games u can use tunneling software on so they are free) and that EA games dont support it (only bad if u are an EA fan, which I am not so eh). If you are big into tony hawk games....then that might be another bad but as w/ the EA games....I dont rlly play it anyways so no online=ok w/ me

Rainbow Six 3/Ghost Recon > SOCOM 1 or 2.

Xbox Live > Sony Live..er.. whatever its called.

Xbox Live has leaderboards, buddy lists, you can chat if you dont feel like playing, and if you see your friend online, you can msg him ingame and he/whe will get an invite to play your game, or vice versa. Plus, (though i could be misinformed) not many games use the communicator that is on the PS2 service. All Xbox Live Games use the communicator. And there are more than a 'few' people playing Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six (again > SOCOM) , Castle Wolfenstein, Unreal, MotoGP, Phantasy Star Online (though its a monthly fee).

There are great games on both services, I acknowledge that, but what Sony doesnt have is the community feel.

I guess to have any fun with Live! you would need a keyboard and mouse...

...and perhaps headset <_<. With the cost of all these accessories, and the monthly broadband fees, wouldn't it be cheaper to play games like Rainbow 6 on the computer?

....sorry, but I don't really understand what all the hype for Live! is about. I mean, I played Rainbow 6 online (even hosted with services brought by M$, just like Live, which was called the MSN Gaming Zone) about 3-4 years ago. Reading all these reviews/ responses about how fantastic playing FPS's online with Live! is, makes me feel old and outdated, just like my copy of Rainbow 6 :(

....it's still a good game though :D

Hm I dunno the trend of online consoles never caught on for me. I feel like online gaming is best done where it originated: The PC.

true, you all make a good point here and there, but also games like Socom II can use the HD and will have downloadable content. Final Fantasy games and Contra, Castlevania..etc.. are all PS2 exclusives.. Manhunt will be on xbox in about 2 years, is it worth the wait everytime for the cool games to hit the Xbox? By the time X gets them they are old news.. X has some good titles for it, but no Madden 2004 online, no Need for Speed Underground online, no Resident Evil Online (Coming 3.30.04) and all the ea sports games plus a bunch of others (like MANHUNT fer example) use headsets... headsets are a growing thing on the PS2 system.

as for everyone using Broadband isnt all that much better, LAG is or can be caused from people downloading/uploading on the PC while they play online, or interrupting the cable connected to the system by pulling it out a tiny bit and putting it back in real quick...etc... LAG is on ALL systems.

and one last thing ALL rainbow Six games SUCK IMO!! I cant stand tom clancy and his crappy PC games , then again I dislike MOST PC type games Except for Half-Life was good, they bore me to hell an back...Socom II is soooo much better its unreal! I had 4 people try the PS2 at my home with a nice headset before they bought thier new system for christmas, and Socom II plus MANHUNT , and Madden 2004 Online was all I needed to show them. All 4 of them went ahead and got a PS2 instead of Xbox, even though the stupid guys at gamestop insisted that they should get the Xbox cause its graphics are better.... but after I told them that PS2 online is free and has exclusive rights to the great titles, they went straight for PS2. and thats the way it should be, and they are happy with the PS2.

again its my opinion on the consoles of today, I do own a Gamecube also, and its got a few good titles also, but like my box it sits there most the time collecting dust...Its sad, only my PS2, my Neo-Geo, and my LaserActive ever seem to get used now days.

At my place it's the other way around. It's my PS2 that's collecting dust and my Xbox, Gamecube and Sega Consoles that are most active. Maybe I can trade my ps2 for your xbox (I'm thinking also about modding one) so both get a more active life ;)

Whoever asked about using a mouse and keyboard on the Xbox.. no you dont need to. And the headset is free when you buy live.

You wouldn't need to. But how fun is it playing a FPS and chatting in lobbies while waiting for the games to start, all by using the pad? A keyboard and mouse seems like a necessity to me.

Back