Just getting into DDR

slinga

Established Member
Hey all,

I know I'm like 5 years late, but I'm just now getting into DDR. Less for fun and more as a way to excerise. I ordered pads and they should be here next week. I plan on playing on my PC (as I don't own any next gen consoles...).

Any advice? What mixes are the best? What programs do you use? I'm using pydance right now which works, but I'd rather use stepmania which I can't get to work for some reason. Any websites/forums I should know about?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing lasts as long as a cobalt flux, but I use a cheap flimsy soft pad taped to a peice of plywood with vinyl covering it. It's almost as good as a metal pad, but they don't last like a flux does.

ddrfreak.com and itgfreak.com are good boards for the game. ITG (in the groove) is like DDR but better. You can find simfiles for ITG in the simulation forum there. I have all the mixes for stepmania but my favorite is probably extreme, just for the newness of it.

What level are you guys at? I do anything on heavy 9 feet or less (with the exception of so deep). I'm beginning to think I'm too old for 10 footers.

I can do just about all seven footers, most eight footers, and a few nine footers.

Though I have not played in a few months.

As for my favorite mix.. Hm... I love the arcade 8th Mix. It's a great compilation of mixes 1 - 7 (Though no E-Rotic songs pisses me off), along with some new ones (Sakura is the best song ever).

3rd Mix is pretty good too. As is 5th Mix.

Originally posted by slinga@Mon, 2005-12-19 @ 02:46 PM

Hey all,

I know I'm like 5 years late, but I'm just now getting into DDR. Less for fun and more as a way to excerise. I ordered pads and they should be here next week. I plan on playing on my PC (as I don't own any next gen consoles...).

Any advice? What mixes are the best? What programs do you use? I'm using pydance right now which works, but I'd rather use stepmania which I can't get to work for some reason. Any websites/forums I should know about?

Thanks in advance.

[post=142654]Quoted post[/post]​

Slinga, are you using linux per chance? I've had success getting stepmania runnign on linux and windows. Stepmania under linux requires DRI support for your graphics card. It will not work with indirect rendering.

Oh yeah, pydance is awful too so when you get SM up and running it will be well worth it 🙂

Seriously, do something else. Most DDR players are losers, that's why I quit playing. At the top of my game I could AA a few 10 footers. But I quickly found the community severely lacking in several things, namely hygiene.

Just go running and do other excercises. DDR music blows, and ITG is for fags that played DDR too much and got sick of it so they want to play a badly mixed and off sync game with USB slots.

Originally posted by it290@Mon, 2005-12-19 @ 09:02 PM

I'd recommend doing something else.

[post=142665]Quoted post[/post]​

YES!

Actually I've never played so I can't bang it or nothing.

I think it's rare that a new type/genre of game emerges that's both unique and fun.

And I think DDR is amazing for achieving that. I don't play hardcore, and I'm not all that good. But I play a few songs here and there. But I haven't encountered a game quite as easy to jump into and have such high reply value since the original NES Tetris.

Karaoke does the same. You don't even have to be good and singing or like half the songs. It's still a unique multiplayer experience seeing who can keep their pitch closest on and watching the audience leave and boo for your friends that can't sing)

Just having such direct, fast-paced real-time game interaction/response to your body actions and voice rather than just through your thumbs. It's been tried before, but not to such good results (powerpad, powerglove, activator).

Everything else that's come out in the last 10 years has just been a 3D version of an old genra that looks better and plays worse than the original.

On the other note, the semi-hardcore players are kind of annoying. They just memorize the steps, and then hold tight onto the handlebars and tap their feet feet infront of them really fast. That's not what dance dance is about. A few people can really do it. They turn around and fly over the rails and jump and wholy breakdance on the pad. That's pretty amazing.

In the last one my wife got, maybe DDR extreme max 2 or something, there's a couple japanese techno songs that sound exactly like something out of an old MegaDrive shooter. Those are my favorite.

Kahuna: I'm on SuSE 10.0 64 bit. Whenever I try to get stepmania to load I get this error:

./stepmania: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have that file in the /usr/lib64 directory. I copied it over to the /usr/lib directory and it still won't work so I'm not sure what's going on with it.

Also, I know 3d support is working on my card:

glxinfo | grep direct

direct rendering: Yes

Edit: sorry. My finger slipped and hit enter and I didn't notice it until I posted the 2nd post.

Originally posted by slinga@Tue, 2005-12-20 @ 03:25 PM

Kahuna: I'm on SuSE 10.0 64 bit. Whenever I try to get stepmania to load I get this error:

I have that file in the /usr/lib64 directory. I copied it over to the /usr/lib directory and it still won't work so I'm not sure what's going on with it.

Also, I know 3d support is working on my card:

[post=142682]Quoted post[/post]​

If you have that file in /usr/lib it should work.

This is what I get when I ldd the stepmania binary:

/opt/StepMania-3.9-rc3$ ldd stepmania | grep GL

libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0xb7da1000)

libGLU.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1 (0xb7d2b000)

Maybe if you re-ran ldconfig after copying the lib over stepmania could find it.

Thanks , I installed Nvidia drivers from their site (as opposed to SuSE's) and it works now. And you guys are right, Stepmania is so much better than pyDance. Still waiting for my pads to come, should be here by friday latest.

Hey all,

I'm having trouble with one of my pads. I bought two Red Octane pads and they worked great. Now one is having trouble. I think Stepmania is reading the pad incorrectly:

Found 2 joysticks

0: 'RedOctane RedOctane USB Pad' axes: 2, hats: 0, buttons: 10

1: 'X-Box pad' axes: 6, hats: 1, buttons: 10

Input devices changed from 'Keyboard,RedOctane RedOctane USB Pad' to 'Keyboard,RedOctane RedOctane USB Pad,X-Box pad'.

They are both identical Red Octone pads. Anybody know what gives? I can't play DDR like this because on the pad that comes up as an X-Box pad, it's impossible to press two directions at the same time. Anybody have any experience with this problem? Thanks in advance.

I see the problem now, one device is using usbhid, the other is using xpad module. Do you know where I can change this?

Well, if it's autoloading the xpad module, try doing an rmmod on it (as root). If that doesn't work, try moving the xpad.ko (or xpad.o, whatever) file somewhere else. It should be in /lib/modules/your_kernel_name/kernel/drivers/usb/input or thereabouts.

Back